2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Brembo pack needed?

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/12, 06:10 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm sure they're awesome and worth it for those that want or need them.

I have tried to push my factory brakes to fade and they haven't so I'm happy with the factory Bullitt brakes.
Old 7/26/12, 12:41 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

I have tried to push my factory brakes to fade and they haven't so I'm happy with the factory Bullitt brakes.
My '07 GT had crap for brakes (especially compared to the '03 Mach 1 I traded in for the '07). Bullitt brakes were an upgrade vs the GT's in 2008 and 2009 and less likely to fade, so of course you have good brakes.

For those of us that bought '11's and newer, though, there were no Bullitt brakes to choose from. Just crappy subpar GT brakes and superior Brembo brakes. So, the '11+ crowd certainly can benefit from the Brembo option.
Old 7/26/12, 04:51 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
My '07 GT had crap for brakes (especially compared to the '03 Mach 1 I traded in for the '07). Bullitt brakes were an upgrade vs the GT's in 2008 and 2009 and less likely to fade, so of course you have good brakes.

For those of us that bought '11's and newer, though, there were no Bullitt brakes to choose from. Just crappy subpar GT brakes and superior Brembo brakes. So, the '11+ crowd certainly can benefit from the Brembo option.
I thought they carried the Bullitt pads forward to the '10 GT. They didn't stay with them for '11 forward?
Old 7/26/12, 06:47 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big difference in stopping 315hp and 420hp. For me the Brembo's were a necessity. Plus, they come with the best looking factory wheels IMO.
Old 7/26/12, 11:12 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by jasongt06
Big difference in stopping 315hp and 420hp. For me the Brembo's were a necessity. Plus, they come with the best looking factory wheels IMO.

Isn't the weight of the vehicle the important factor in braking? Unless you have your foot on the accelerator at the same time as the brakes.
Old 7/26/12, 01:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't the weight of the vehicle the important factor in braking? Unless you have your foot on the accelerator at the same time as the brakes.
No necessarily. The more power you have, the faster you will be going, the more stopping power you will need to stop the momentum. I least this is what I think. Of course this is only applicable when you are on the track.

The the OP, just get the Brembo package.
Old 7/26/12, 11:19 PM
GT Member

Tires too. The Brembos are there for the looks and some occasional brake fade.
Old 7/27/12, 07:02 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by newpony

No necessarily. The more power you have, the faster you will be going, the more stopping power you will need to stop the momentum. I least this is what I think. Of course this is only applicable when you are on the track.

The the OP, just get the Brembo package.
Not really actually. Even though you have more power, your average and max speeds are still relatively the same. Those numbers are determined by the roads you are on, not really by the power of your car.

Although, I did get the brembos. Look better, and stop better on the track and autocross
Old 7/27/12, 07:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Did not even think twice when I ordered the Brembo's. Had to have 'em.
Old 7/27/12, 07:48 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Not really actually. Even though you have more power, your average and max speeds are still relatively the same. Those numbers are determined by the roads you are on, not really by the power of your car.

Although, I did get the brembos. Look better, and stop better on the track and autocross

Say you're going down your favorite road and you floor it out of a corner. By the time you get to the next corner you could be going a lot faster in that small time with an extra 100 hp. That's why they always say add brakes when you add power. Just because you can gain more speed in a smaller distance. Higher speed means more momentum which leads to needing more braking power.
Old 7/27/12, 07:55 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jonny88
Say you're going down your favorite road and you floor it out of a corner. By the time you get to the next corner you could be going a lot faster in that small time with an extra 100 hp. That's why they always say add brakes when you add power. Just because you can gain more speed in a smaller distance. Higher speed means more momentum which leads to needing more braking power.
+1. Exactly why I had to upgrade my '07 GT's brakes when I added a Vortech supercharger. With the extra 150hp, all of the roads I was so familiar driving suddenly shrunk and the factory brakes were woefully inadequate.
Old 7/27/12, 09:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jonny88
This is exactly what I was trying to say.
Old 7/27/12, 11:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts

Weight is important but all modern cars have enough brake to stop the car from its top speed as quickly as the tires allow on a level road. But brakes will fade if they get too hot. So they need to cool enough between decelerations to not fade. The more HP you have the quicker you gain speed so there is less time for them to cool. Larger rotors and more venting slows down the rate they heat up AND speeds up the rate they cool down.

So on the street, the Brembos will NOT stop the car any faster because you will (or should) go to jail or the hospital before you overheat the stock brakes on a current gen Mustang.

The Brembos will have a better feel and therefore can improve threshold braking. But that isn't a real factor on the street. Streets are not like race tracks where you have up to date knowledge of traction limits in each braking zone. On the street, you just can't stop faster (on average) threshold braking than letting state of the art anti-locks do the work. That's because it takes too much time to "feel" the traction variations and adjust. The computer will beat you unless you know the exact limits the entire time you are braking including changes in surface texture, where that oil spot is, etc..

The Brembos are better on a track. But they are still purely marketing from Ford's perspective because adding cooling ducts to the stock brakes would make them superior on the track to Brembos without ducts. If Ford's goal was to offer improved braking, they would offer factory ducts as the premier braking improvement option and the Brembo parts as a smaller improvement over that. But of course they can't make as much money off ducts and they don't have brand recognition.

I think The Brembo PACKAGE is an awesome upgrade but the Brembo labeled parts are the LEAST important parts of the package IMO. The wider wheels, grippier tires and suspension changes are FAR more relevant than the rotors and calipers for everyone except the owner who will push the car at the track AND add cooling ducts. Unless you do BOTH, the Brembo parts don't do much and actually add unsprung and rotational mass.
Old 7/27/12, 12:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
I think The Brembo PACKAGE is an awesome upgrade but the Brembo labeled parts are the LEAST important parts of the package IMO. The wider wheels, grippier tires and suspension changes are FAR more relevant than the rotors and calipers for everyone except the owner who will push the car at the track AND add cooling ducts. Unless you do BOTH, the Brembo parts don't do much and actually add unsprung and rotational mass.
These are my feelings too. If the stickier summer tires, larger and wider wheels, strut tower brace, and stiffer suspension, all of which equate to better handling but with the price of a slightly harsher ride, are something you'd be interested in for a daily driver, go for it, but unless you're on the track where brake fade may become an issue, don't expect much difference in street braking.

Personally, I think the package is a good value and I probably would have gotten it if it had been offered on the 2012s with the automatic. My only reservation and disappointment is that the rear brakes are the standard ones and look quite small with the Brembo wheels. I would have preferred Brembos on all four wheels, like the Challenger SRT8 and the Camaro SS have, with a slightly increased package price. Maybe the next generation GT will have four-wheel Brembos standard.