Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Brand New 2014 Mustang Towed and Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/14, 01:48 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Keep us posted on what the dealer finds. This obviously shouldn't happen, but you may be the first person with this sort of issue. Either way, your dealer is the best source for resolution.

I have just under 5000 miles on my 2014 GT TP, and all smiles. This car was worth every penny. It's not M5 smooth, but for 1/2 the price and 99% of the performance I could care less. I hope you feel the same way since your previous cars were 1.5x or 2x the price. Beside, Bemers are not known for reliability
I agree, my 2014 has been nothing but fun. I like to believe we are a cooler and more hospitable group than m5'ers. And we are wayyy cheaper to repair and likely to be more reliable than the higher up beemers
Old 4/14/14, 12:01 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I've seen this at our dealership with a variety of models. The PATS needs to be reprogrammed. Take both keys with the car to the Ford dealership and let them reprogram them. That's it. Simple fix.
Old 4/14/14, 07:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Effektx
Also I apologize if I offended anyone with the retarded comment...wasn't my intention. I am obviously irritated and saying things that I shouldn't. I have only owned BMW's for the past 15 years. In those 15 years I have had zero problems outside of normal maintenance. This was my first decision to try out an American car and after only 83 miles the car is getting towed to the dealership.

After it was towed and out of your possession. God only knows what may have happened to it.
Old 4/14/14, 11:28 AM

Dumbest question of the year, but you DO have gas in the tank, right...just making sure the T's are crossed and the i's are dotted.
Old 4/14/14, 12:52 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by rhrh
I agree, my 2014 has been nothing but fun. I like to believe we are a cooler and more hospitable group than m5'ers. And we are wayyy cheaper to repair and likely to be more reliable than the higher up beemers
Good point! I meant to say M3 not M5, but the comments made still ring true.
Old 4/14/14, 03:14 PM

Alright guys so here goes the update. I want to clarify one thing before I do. I did a ton of research on this and there are TONS of people having the same issues with the PATS issue. So I think it is naïve to act like this is not a problem.

With that said here is what I did to fix the problem. The dealership had no clue how to fix this so hopefully this helps others in the future.

On the research that I did their were two solutions that people seemed to use
1. Put the key in, turn to the on position, and then leave it there for 10 minutes. Afterwards try to start the car.
2. Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes.

I decided I did not want to disconnect the battery on a new car. So it was either option 1 or getting it towed to the dealership.

I decided to try out option 1. After 10 minutes I tried to turn the car on and it did not work. Before calling roadside assistance I decided to try one more idea.

In the Manual it explains how to program a new key. I figured hopefully the car still recognized the keys I have, but for some reason it was not communicating correctly with the PATS system. This is the process I used.

You need both programmed keys with you. What you are doing here is basically telling the car to program key 1 as if it is a new key.
1. Put key 1 in the ignition and turn to the on position...leave it there for 4-7 seconds.
2. Remove key 1
3. Put key 2 in the ignition and turn to the on position...leave it there for 4-7 seconds.
4. Remove key 2

This is now where you tell the car to program the key 1 as if it was new key.

5. Put key 1 back into the ignition and turn to the on position and leave it there for 4-7 seconds....then turn on the car and it should start.

Since I did that the car has been starting just fine with key 1. I am not sure the precise reason why this fixed it with regards to the PATS system...but it seems to be an easy fix. Hopefully this helps others in the future.

Last edited by Effektx; 4/14/14 at 03:15 PM.
Old 4/14/14, 04:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Effektx
Alright guys so here goes the update. I want to clarify one thing before I do. I did a ton of research on this and there are TONS of people having the same issues with the PATS issue. So I think it is naïve to act like this is not a problem.

With that said here is what I did to fix the problem. The dealership had no clue how to fix this so hopefully this helps others in the future.

On the research that I did their were two solutions that people seemed to use
1. Put the key in, turn to the on position, and then leave it there for 10 minutes. Afterwards try to start the car.
2. Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes.

I decided I did not want to disconnect the battery on a new car. So it was either option 1 or getting it towed to the dealership.

I decided to try out option 1. After 10 minutes I tried to turn the car on and it did not work. Before calling roadside assistance I decided to try one more idea.

In the Manual it explains how to program a new key. I figured hopefully the car still recognized the keys I have, but for some reason it was not communicating correctly with the PATS system. This is the process I used.

You need both programmed keys with you. What you are doing here is basically telling the car to program key 1 as if it is a new key.
1. Put key 1 in the ignition and turn to the on position...leave it there for 4-7 seconds.
2. Remove key 1
3. Put key 2 in the ignition and turn to the on position...leave it there for 4-7 seconds.
4. Remove key 2

This is now where you tell the car to program the key 1 as if it was new key.

5. Put key 1 back into the ignition and turn to the on position and leave it there for 4-7 seconds....then turn on the car and it should start.

Since I did that the car has been starting just fine with key 1. I am not sure the precise reason why this fixed it with regards to the PATS system...but it seems to be an easy fix. Hopefully this helps others in the future.
You reprogrammed the PATS, like Five Oh Brian suggested above. Glad that fixed it! You wouldn't have harmed anything by disconnecting the battery though.

As far as it being a common problem, we're not trying to say you're wrong...but it's not something commonly talked about on this board. I can't remember ever seeing anything about it and I've been on here for going on 3 years. The common problems (MT82 fluid, lower control arms) and a little less common (hood paint bubbling, power driver seat broken) are all talked about here fairly often.

Hope that's the last problem you have for a long time!
Old 4/14/14, 09:43 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
You reprogrammed the PATS, like Five Oh Brian suggested above. Glad that fixed it! You wouldn't have harmed anything by disconnecting the battery though.

As far as it being a common problem, we're not trying to say you're wrong...but it's not something commonly talked about on this board. I can't remember ever seeing anything about it and I've been on here for going on 3 years. The common problems (MT82 fluid, lower control arms) and a little less common (hood paint bubbling, power driver seat broken) are all talked about here fairly often.

Hope that's the last problem you have for a long time!
Yeah we're glad you got everything fixed! As kylerohde says this is the first time I have personally seen a PATS issue on the forums. That's why it's so weird to us, of course you'll get a ton of results if you search for something, in all I think I speak for everyone when I say that we want to assure you this isn't a unreliable car. I know the anxiety that builds up when something like this happens and you start finding every fault in your car that you wouldn't have noticed otherwise. It's a sucky feeling when you love the car so much and you spent a lot on it. So here's just some assurance that you have a nice fun road ahead of you! 😊