Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

The Beast shall awaken in March or April

Search this Thread

Old 11/13/14, 03:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by imeyers302
I don't know how you guys do it. I could never leave it sitting for 4-6 months. I like driving it to much. Blizzaks go on soon and will drive right through the winter. Just wish the recaros had heat.
It's the worst after the holidays. Plenty to be distracted with until the long, dark, cold middle of winter. You can only research mods so much! I may be driving year around next year, just for sanity.
Old 11/13/14, 06:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Mine lives for the middle of Winter. Even more after Christmas this year. In all seriousness, I couldn't stand not driving it year-round. I don't see how y'all do it.
Old 11/13/14, 07:04 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts
I can't deal with the car getting endless amounts of salt on it so I put it away. I wish I had the money to put in a real storage unit but a cover in my driveway will have to do.
Old 11/13/14, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by VidPro
I can't deal with the car getting endless amounts of salt on it so I put it away. I wish I had the money to put in a real storage unit but a cover in my driveway will have to do.
Salt is why I put mine away too. It sits in the garage from mid-November till early April. I plan on keeping my Mustang a loooong time. And seeing the damage and rust caused by salty roads on my other vehicles is reason enough for me to keep the Mustang safe in the garage under a car cover.
Old 11/13/14, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Salt is why I put mine away too. It sits in the garage from mid-November till early April. I plan on keeping my Mustang a loooong time. And seeing the damage and rust caused by salty roads on my other vehicles is reason enough for me to keep the Mustang safe in the garage under a car cover.
I don't know. I feel a car is meant to be driven. I had a 91 5.0. Drove the car for 11 years as a daily driver. Through rainstorms, snowstorms, ice storms , you name it I drove through it. And did it with tires that were not even close to what's available today. I detailed the hell out of it all the time but it still looked new after 11 years. I figure this one will survive just fine. Just had my blizzaks installed yesterday and she is ready for the winter.
Old 11/15/14, 09:26 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I wish I had a garage. I bought my 2000 in 2002 and for the most part I kept it covered from November to April until last year when I decided to sell it and buy a 2014. My 2000 didn't have a speck of rust and the paint looked new.

Then there is the driving in the snow. I didn't have snows on it and the few times I got caught in a storm it was a nightmare driving home. That's on top of all the idiot drivers around me making feel like a target.

I'm so glad I bought a 2002 Taurus as my daily driver. It should be a lot more fun in the snow.

Last edited by VidPro; 11/15/14 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11/15/14, 09:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drive mine all year round, pffft getting my money's worth.
Old 11/15/14, 12:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I like going out and lifting the cover up to take a look at it every so often!!!! went and looked at the 2015 today.....as others have said it looks a little better in person.....sits a lot lower than the 14, but maybe because of that it also looks smaller than my 14. They had a silver and dark gray one. Not bad....but will be keeping mine until I am 6 feet under or can't drive a manual any longer....
Old 11/15/14, 09:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Fortunately here in Dallas the Mustang can be driven almost year-round... Of course, we do have a few cold days (and even ice/snow occasionally).

Last year, there was one day that was 18 degrees and a bit icy- I drove the Mustang with its Track Pack Pirelli Zero's (which are not designed for the cold- much less ice)- and decided I needed an "alternative" for rare days like that... which is the primary reason we purchased this little fellow (an '03 Jeep TJ).

It's odd, but I've found the Jeep to be strangely liberating! For someone with A-OCD (automotive obsessive compulsive disorder), it is nice to have a vehicle where I don't worry about water spots, scratches, or even dents! After all, it is "just a Jeep." We've abused the crap out of this thing (and even went 4-wheeling a couple of times), and it just keeps on chugging along. I am SO hoping for snow/ice this year- so I will have an excuse to fire up the Jeep!
Old 11/16/14, 07:09 AM
Cobra Member

Thats what I like about having daily driver "beaters"...mine are a 2010 Accent ( for MPG's) and a 99 Caddy (great in snow and hauls a ton of people/groceries). It doesn't bother me when they are dirty and it didn't bother me when the lady across the street backed into my Accent...needed a new rear quarter panel and door....now if it had been the GT...well that is a different story. For me it is not just the damage from the salt and the fact I may slide into something it's the fact I just know someone else will do it. This will be my toy for years and I just like having something that stays like new.
Old 11/16/14, 02:58 PM

I put storage insurance on my mustang at the end of October until April, cost is $120. Well worth it, includes fire, theft and damage from something falling on it while parked in the garage. Highways department uses Texas gravel instead of salt, on the streets, so it's best to park your vehicle for the winter months. They also use a liquid solution which eats brakes, pads and calipers severely, as well as every thing metal, underneath the car!
Old 11/29/14, 12:08 PM
Cobra Member

Since it was 50 outside, I just had to start it up to hear it today...let it run for about 35 minutes......once everything cools down will put the cover back on.....4 more months or so!!!!!
Old 11/29/14, 08:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I put mine up in the garage at the beginning of November and probably won't bring it out until about April. We had some great weather the last few days though with the temps in the 70's. My car is stored in another location about 30 miles away and I have other vehicles to drive so I don't miss it that much.

I didn't do anything special to mine, just put a battery tender on it and that was it.

Wayne
Old 11/30/14, 12:26 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put mine on the bottle (battery tender and Stabil) for the winter over the weekend - That Noreaster was it with the salt on the road. I did buy it a Christmas present on Black Friday though - A Steeda Ultimate Induction kit so It should be about 40 hp more fun in the Spring. I don't particularly like the new Mustangs but the new GT350 looks real interesting. I ran my Kelly Blue Book trade in value and my car is down about $8K already and i only have 2,600 miles on it so I put that GT350 right out of my head. I'm sure the dealers will be jacking the price up like they did with the Boss too so it's a no win situation. I'll be keeping my 2014 for a long time.

Scott
Old 11/30/14, 07:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
52 degrees here and I'm about to go out and hand wash mine. No pain, no gain.
Old 11/30/14, 08:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Up here I see the odd Mustang being driven in the winter, but 99% of them are V6 base models...with rental stickers on the back bumper. And they're never newer ones. Up here you don't buy a new(ish) 400hp rear drive muscle car unless you can afford to drive something else for the other 6-7 months of the year.

Sadly, I'm now driving a truck, a 2011 Sierra. I've always hated trucks, but do appreciate the sheer utility. But they are USELESS when the roads are bad...as in snow/ice. I had Subaru's exclusively for the last 10 years. THOSE are cars that are designed for year round driving. Balanced. Good AWD system...particularly my last one, an 07 Legacy Spec.B that had a 40/60 front/rear AWD bias with a Torsen rear end. Even with next to no ground clearance, it would NEVER get stuck on the road. Overcook an icy corner? You have a choice between lifting or giving it a boot full. It'll come around. Trucks have no such driving dynamics. They don't have driving dynamics. All the weight is over the front, so even in 4WD you can't manipulate the brake/throttle to initiate some weight transfer. The weight is on the front, and that's where it's staying. When it starts to push, it'll push till it stops. And you usually don't know it's sliding until you've been sliding for 10 feet, and then it's too late. I'm tip-toeing around a city I use to shred in weather like this. Makes storing away my Mustang all the more painful.