Another #8

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/11, 09:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if my number 8 blows id probably go this route lol

http://blogs.mustang50magazine.com/6...wer/index.html

500 hp N/A Crate 363 small block

Might be a better alternative for the OP (not red candy)
Old 7/22/11, 09:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c
if my number 8 blows id probably go this route lol

http://blogs.mustang50magazine.com/6...wer/index.html

500 hp N/A Crate 363 small block

Might be a better alternative for the OP (not red candy)
r u cereal?
Old 7/22/11, 11:46 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
...and it's baseless.
Depends how long you've been reading forums. Heck I've been amazed at how many newbie 5.0 owners are totally clueless as to what's going on with the 'ghost cam'. They have no idea why Ford went back to DOHC, what overlap is, much less what it does. Just want to put the key in and have it go 'vroom'. Some of the posts sound like a bunch of secretaries instead of car guys.

Originally Posted by blackgt87
Anyway I think I will be sticking to a dyno tune.
Wiser words have never been spoken on this issue.

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/22/11 at 11:48 AM.
Old 7/22/11, 01:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
With that said, I think Bama has admitted 2 cars with their tunes have let go(but didn't say it was the tunes fault, to be clear). So not all people post their problems.
I happened to be passing today and stopped in at BAMA to get tune updates and an SCT update. We were talking about the #8 issue and tunes.

They were not aware that any of their tunes were directly responsible for any failures. Also I asked if they "ignored" the knock sensors and they DO NOT. Although I didn't get any race tunes (perfer the street tunes for everyday drivability), BAMA are constantly refining their tunes on real cars on a dyno, not just guessing and rewriting code, actually very impressive setup and monster wearhouse full of toy's

I (IMHO) think that these failures come from either too aggressive tunes, tracking the car or adding other mod's and not allowing for the change in their tunes.

BTW there have been at least 2 cases of #8's failing on stock un moded cars also.
Old 7/22/11, 02:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I remember that the Email tunes I had for 2007 GT were all customizable. That means that the user can change just about anything in the tune. Maybe some of the "new"
Mustang owners or some of the 7 blown #8 car owners have changed their tunes to get just a little more.
Old 7/22/11, 02:57 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Too many variables to mail order a tune. Even with dataloging and what not. Each car is specific and should be tuned accordingly. Custom dyno tune is the only way to go with a reputable and knowledgable tuner. You get what you pay for and sometimes you pay for it in the long run.
Old 7/22/11, 03:04 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Too many variables to mail order a tune. Even with dataloging and what not. Each car is specific and should be tuned accordingly. Custom dyno tune is the only way to go with a reputable and knowledgable tuner. You get what you pay for and sometimes you pay for it in the long run.
THIS!

If you're gonna have a canned tune, for Pete's sake don't have the timing advanced so far and don't turn of the knock sensors. That's just ignorant.
Old 7/22/11, 03:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

No... what you're not getting is that for most people, there was a reasonable expectation that these big name tuners knew what they were doing before selling tunes.

This is not like pulling a motor out of a Mustang in the junkyard, dropping it in your car and having the motor blow up after 7000 miles. The expectations are very different.

This is not my first Mustang but I still take some offense to your dismissive tone- that somehow new people are ignorant and have unrealistic expectations of what they're getting for their money. I believe you made these comments last time this debate came around...and it's baseless.
My claim is not baseless. We are adults. Caveat emptor......buyer beware. You have to take responsibility for your actions when it comes to buying aftermarket. If you believe everything or take your life in the hands of these tuners, then ur not thinking clearly. There is risk involved with anything you do to your car. My point, and I will try to not use a certain tone that offends you, is not that this is your first mustang, not that you have unrealistic expectations of what you are getting for money, but that if you think for one second it is anyones fault other than your own if your engine blows up from a tune you are crazy. None of these tuners are putting disclaimers on there tunes that say warning this tune will give you more horsepower AND increased engine life. And if your one of those people who need a warning that they could cause damage then maybe your the same person who needs the warning label on a hair dryer or iron so you don't throw it in a bath tub when your in it. I have a tune, several, and I enjoy it. My point was I can't believe how many people are surprised that an "aggressive" or "race" tune would be safe for everyday use. Thank you.
Old 7/22/11, 03:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
THIS!

If you're gonna have a canned tune, for Pete's sake don't have the timing advanced so far and don't turn of the knock sensors. That's just ignorant.
^^^THIS^^^
Old 7/22/11, 04:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mystickeith50
My claim is not baseless. We are adults. Caveat emptor......buyer beware. You have to take responsibility for your actions when it comes to buying aftermarket. If you believe everything or take your life in the hands of these tuners, then ur not thinking clearly. There is risk involved with anything you do to your car. My point, and I will try to not use a certain tone that offends you, is not that this is your first mustang, not that you have unrealistic expectations of what you are getting for money, but that if you think for one second it is anyones fault other than your own if your engine blows up from a tune you are crazy. None of these tuners are putting disclaimers on there tunes that say warning this tune will give you more horsepower AND increased engine life. And if your one of those people who need a warning that they could cause damage then maybe your the same person who needs the warning label on a hair dryer or iron so you don't throw it in a bath tub when your in it. I have a tune, several, and I enjoy it. My point was I can't believe how many people are surprised that an "aggressive" or "race" tune would be safe for everyday use. Thank you.
Not one person would ever buy a tune if they thought it was likely or even 50/50....or even 90/10 that it would damage their engine. There is a realistic assumption that these guys- who want to stay in business- will build in a margin of safety. I also seriously doubt that anyone thinks that there is NO risk to the motor... There is a difference between "take responsibility for your actions" and a reasonable expectation of quality.

All the disclaimers in the world won't absolve the tuners if they were selling a bad product.

The problem is that a significant number of people have had a catastrophic failure-- enough so that we're all damned. Engine warranty: goodbye.

I understand that there is risk. I opted for a 91 Octane Performance tune (not race) and I have always run on 93 octane fuel...and I didn't hammer the motor when it would be particularly hot nor abuse it in any way. I suspect that this protection probably saved me from damage....what I'm personally mostly pissed about is that unlike with the 4.6L days, Ford is now willing and actively looking for evidence of past tuning to blame engine problems on.

Oh, your motor develops the famous mystery tick? Must have been the tune.

Last edited by MRGTX; 7/22/11 at 04:03 PM.
Old 7/22/11, 04:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

^^ we must think alike
Old 7/22/11, 04:26 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The problem is that a significant number of people have had a catastrophic failure-- enough so that we're all damned. Engine warranty: goodbye.

what I'm personally mostly pissed about is that unlike with the 4.6L days, Ford is now willing and actively looking for evidence of past tuning to blame engine problems on.
You are assuming this is a new policy from Ford. It isn't. Plenty of posts about this.

When I was at the Dealer (Feb 08, 4.6 3V) considering an extended warranty with a 'refund of premium' option, we had this discussion that if the after market product or tune causes the failure, neither Ford or the extended warranty would cover.
Old 7/22/11, 05:18 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
You are assuming this is a new policy from Ford. It isn't. Plenty of posts about this.

When I was at the Dealer (Feb 08, 4.6 3V) considering an extended warranty with a 'refund of premium' option, we had this discussion that if the after market product or tune causes the failure, neither Ford or the extended warranty would cover.
agreed, the warranty policy is nothing new. Tunes have just increased in popularity and Ford wants to make sure the dealers know they aren't liable
Old 7/22/11, 05:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

I literally just got off the phone with Bama, and the guy who was answering my questions said that he was briefed today on a new policy by Bama that any engine failure found to be a direct result of their tuning will be warrantied by Bama. He said "we stand behind our products, and we don't believe these failures are tune related. If they are proven to be, we will take care of you."

While I understand the "proven" caveat in there, I think even a statement/policy by a company like that is something pretty big. He also said "Bama has no knowledge of any car with our tune failing like that" which I know contradicts some things I have read on this board and others.

Be interesting to see where this goes.

Even though I plan on a custom dyno tune, my local shop still can't sell me the SCT hand held as cheap as Bama can in their CAI/SCT Combo with free shipping, so I will probably use a Bama 91 octane tune with 93 octane fuel for my "daily" tune, and then get a race tune done on a dyno.
Old 7/22/11, 06:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by blackgt87
I literally just got off the phone with Bama, and the guy who was answering my questions said that he was briefed today on a new policy by Bama that any engine failure found to be a direct result of their tuning will be warrantied by Bama. He said "we stand behind our products, and we don't believe these failures are tune related. If they are proven to be, we will take care of you."

While I understand the "proven" caveat in there, I think even a statement/policy by a company like that is something pretty big. He also said "Bama has no knowledge of any car with our tune failing like that" which I know contradicts some things I have read on this board and others.

Be interesting to see where this goes.
Is that something they will put in writing? Or is it already? I've been doing my homework on this before I do it and haven't come across any "guarantee".
Old 7/22/11, 06:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
Is that something they will put in writing? Or is it already? I've been doing my homework on this before I do it and haven't come across any "guarantee".
He said they literally announced the policy today. He also said that customers who bought tunes before their "new warranty policy" will also be covered.
Old 7/22/11, 06:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Best news I've heard in a awhile. If true that's a great company.
Old 7/22/11, 06:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

That's definitely some good news!
Old 7/22/11, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree, and bought the sct/jlt combo lol
Old 7/22/11, 07:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Cant go wrong by a statement like that!