2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Another #8

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/11, 03:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
The guy was running an "aggressive 93" tune. He could have had bad gas.
Old 7/20/11, 03:46 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mystickeith50
I think the cammed tune had a lot to do with it. There is admittedly drivability issues with them, with the car buckin n stalling, etc. That's not normal.
Actually the 'ghost cam' tune tweaked the ECU so the intake cam and exhaust cam created bit of overlap at idle - which means there wasn't full compression because the valves weren't completely closed at detonation - which means it is highly unlikely the piston lands were harmed (melted in one pic) just from creating overlap at idle. As the rpm's increased, the ECU returned to its normal control of the cams.
https://themustangsource.com/f800/gh...2/#post6046981
Piston damage from knock - especially the type of damage some of the pics showed - would typically occur at higher rpm.

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/20/11 at 04:02 PM.
Old 7/20/11, 03:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea cammed tune isn't the issue. Could be bad gas or over aggressive tuning although Lund is one of the more trusted tuners. It could also just of been In the cards for that piston to fail. It's sorta like driving without a license and getting into an accident, it's always your fault because you shouldn't of been driving to begin with.
Old 7/20/11, 04:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys are all making valid points. I think I'm still going to get a tune but I'm going to be a little conservative and go with a 91. I'm running 93 regularly, but who knows if it's 100% 93 all the time.
Old 7/20/11, 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

Yup. This ain't the old 3V.
I am going to get a tune for my 2010 and glad there has been many years of trial runs by everyone with a 05-10.
Old 7/20/11, 04:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didnt the cobras have an issue leaning out on the back end of the motor in the upper RPMs?
Old 7/20/11, 06:58 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

I was laughing when I made it...
..and I laugh everytime I see it
Old 7/20/11, 07:16 PM
Cobra Member

Steeda 93 and 87 tune here. Can't really tell a difference between the 2. Love my tune. I wouldn't have a coyote without a tune and cai. If she blows, she blows. I'm willing to take the risk for the fun factor. Steeda has done their homework and I feel pretty comfortable with their tune and cai.
Attached Thumbnails Another #8-img_20110530_135912-1.jpg  
Old 7/20/11, 07:33 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
I was laughing when I made it...
..and I laugh everytime I see it
lolol
Old 7/20/11, 07:35 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
It's a classic! But in all good humor there is a bit of truth isn't there. At least that's what Jerry would say.
Old 7/21/11, 02:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c
he just posted up just now again....

"For those of you who are svtp members. Here is my post from svtp I said I would post here,

Fellas, this is my car you are discussing. My name on s197 is "35annGT", I would be more than happy if you would like to pm me to give you my cell number and I will tell you my situation. The forum boards are getting old. Yes, i deleted my previous posts on s197 because the problem was solved. I ran a sct "canned" tune for about...a day. Next day my BBr tune was loaded and ran that for a few months, no problems. About a month ago I ordered the lund 93 cam tune, I live about a mile from LRS, the owners car as well as avoid 4 others sitting in the lot are BBR tuned and have had no problems. As well as all the other BBR tuned cars they sell their tuner to. After about a month of my lund tune I had this Issue. Put two and two together Its not hard. And I will post this on s197 so you can see this is a legit post from me."
BBR tune here. Car has 17k as it's my daily driver. NO issues. RUNS STRONG!!! BBR here in florida tune it and they tune these 5.0 all the time the have 5.0 cars running blowers and cams. they know thier stuff.
Old 7/21/11, 09:01 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This is not pointed at anyone in peticular, but I find it funny when someone says:
"x miles and no problems"

Fine and all, but its not like theres a set time and place when things can/will go sour/south..hehehe..

"I eat 4 Big Macs a day, and I'm fine...."
....until I have a heart attack.
Old 7/21/11, 09:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
This is not pointed at anyone in peticular, but I find it funny when someone says:
"x miles and no problems"

Fine and all, but its not like theres a set time and place when things can/will go sour/south..hehehe..

"I eat 4 Big Macs a day, and I'm fine...."
....until I have a heart attack.
so true....

I just wish we knew 100% if its a tuner issue or a possible defect issue. It could be both.
Old 7/21/11, 09:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Posted on another forum by assassinator

it isnt tunes blowing them, its rings butting. it isnt ANY tuners fault. it isnt ANY mod. its too close of a ring gap and a little heat causing them to butt and break off the second land.

Im telling you Ford knows about it. as a matter of fact, if any powertrain engineer reads this HE knows it.

the original hold was for defective engines amongst other things.

the TSB is a cover up because Ford knows about the issue and instead of a recall, they are voiding warranty's. its about redirecting the focus on the problem.

i apologize to everyone i attacked about their tunes and mods.

Ford will be exposed for sure. engineer know EXACTLY what is causing it.

now with that said, if there is no tune on the car, or any extra power made, the defect will not likely show up. this defect is random. #8 is simply the hottest cylinder. its not a knock issue or anything like that.
Old 7/21/11, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
Posted on another forum by assassinator

it isnt tunes blowing them, its rings butting. it isnt ANY tuners fault. it isnt ANY mod. its too close of a ring gap and a little heat causing them to butt and break off the second land.

Im telling you Ford knows about it. as a matter of fact, if any powertrain engineer reads this HE knows it.

the original hold was for defective engines amongst other things.

the TSB is a cover up because Ford knows about the issue and instead of a recall, they are voiding warranty's. its about redirecting the focus on the problem.

i apologize to everyone i attacked about their tunes and mods.

Ford will be exposed for sure. engineer know EXACTLY what is causing it.

now with that said, if there is no tune on the car, or any extra power made, the defect will not likely show up. this defect is random. #8 is simply the hottest cylinder. its not a knock issue or anything like that.
Please excuse me here...I am not sure who Assasinator is or why his thoughts would warrant a repost? Does he have inside knowledge?
Old 7/21/11, 09:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0

Not sure who this assassinator guy is, but he just contradicted himself.

It's not a defective part if it will withstand the factory power output and calibration. Anything above and beyond that is blue sky and if you modify the car, you run the risk of exposing a weakness. This isn't Ford's fault.
Old 7/21/11, 10:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jlmounce
It's not a defective part if it will withstand the factory power output and calibration. Anything above and beyond that is blue sky and if you modify the car, you run the risk of exposing a weakness. This isn't Ford's fault.

Sadly, you're 100% right.

I understand that a lot of you guys don't care about these issues...and you're willing to take the risk for 5% horsepower improvement.

...Knowing what I know now, I never would have installed my tune. I ran a 91 octane Bama tune (on 93 octane gas) for about 800 miles. It made a nice difference in the feel of the car...

...but the loss of my engine warranty was NOT worth it.
Old 7/21/11, 10:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...cause-8-a.html
Old 7/21/11, 10:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

the only thing i dont understand is this
3. No tuner/shop in the country was prepared to properly tune these vehicles the way Ford does it....how could they. Ford does not offer tune training classes.

so then why did number 8 go on someone that had FRPP ProCal when Ford is the one that designed it and produce a safe tune?
Old 7/21/11, 11:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c
the only thing i dont understand is this
3. No tuner/shop in the country was prepared to properly tune these vehicles the way Ford does it....how could they. Ford does not offer tune training classes.

so then why did number 8 go on someone that had FRPP ProCal when Ford is the one that designed it and produce a safe tune?
isn't "ford racing" separate from what we all call "Ford"? So they could make the same mistakes of the other tuners