Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

AdvanceTrac Question

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/12, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything off every time I get in the car.

My '12 GT Premium (no Brembo) has sport mode BTW.
Old 7/7/12, 10:49 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I think the whole concept of "everything off all the time" is just internet **** measuring. If you'd rather try and recover a vehicle without the aid of sophisticated electronic algorithms, be my guest. I will point and laugh if you wreck it, then admit you had everything off. Besides, are you trying to drive like a complete asshat everywhere you go that you need the ability to drift and roast your tires? Seems like a waste of time and money and unnecessary risk. I'd be willing to bet the majority of you turning the TCS off wouldn't be able to handle it at the limit anyways.

Last edited by Overboost; 7/7/12 at 04:17 PM.
Old 7/7/12, 12:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My non Brembo GT Premium has sport mode. Hold the brake and double tap the tc button really quickly to activate sport mode. If you are too slow with the double click it won't work. I like it totally off personally unless it is cold or wet. If you learned how to drive a high performance car you really don't need the nannies. If you are a newbie to hp cars, or just never bothered to get the schooling, leave the nannies on and go merrily on your way. There is something good about getting a good education at a school like Bonduraunt.
Old 7/7/12, 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

ive never been to a school, thats going to change shortly as i go to my boss driving school in UTAH in a week or so. But after messing around with and without it..... i agree it stays on unless i want a good drifting picture shot. WITH LOTS OF ROOM IF I #$%^ UP

i prefer driving it with the traction control turned off.... when at speed if i get sideways it corrects me but between gears NEVER slows me down. The sport mode i guess i shift to fast from 2 to 3rd cause ever time in sport mode it cuts out power between those 2 gears not to mention 1-2
Old 7/7/12, 06:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
Personally, I think the whole concept of "everything off all the time" is just internet **** measuring. If you'd rather try and recover a vehicle without the aid of sophisticated electronic algorithms, be my guest. I will point and laugh if you wreck it, then admit you had everything off. Besides, are you trying to drive like a complete asshat everywhere you go that you need the ability to drift and roast your tires? Seems like a waste of time and money and unnecessary risk. I'd be willing to bet the majority of you turning the TCS off wouldn't be able to handle it at the limit anyways.
FYI all 2011+ GT's have Sport Mode even my automatic. I turn everything off unless it's raining. I have no problems controlling my car.

Last edited by TheReaper; 7/7/12 at 06:44 PM.
Old 7/7/12, 07:05 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper
FYI all 2011+ GT's have Sport Mode even my automatic. I turn everything off unless it's raining. I have no problems controlling my car.
That last line reminds me of "hold my beer and watch this"
Old 7/7/12, 07:11 PM
GT Member

Yes. I believe it's only for Brembo and V6 PP cars.
I have it available on my Gt Premium without the Brembo Pack
Old 7/7/12, 07:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My '11 GT/CS has sport mod also. I use that most of the time just because.....when I remember to..... The normal mode has more than enough allowance to impress others or embarrass you at any given time.

All off can be a blast.....but on the road it will bite even the best of drivers. BITD.....many stock production cars did not come with 400+hp/390+ torque. That makes a big difference.
Old 7/7/12, 11:00 PM

Personally, I think the whole concept of "everything off all the time" is just internet **** measuring.

Is your sense of manhood really tied up in this?

If you'd rather try and recover a vehicle without the aid of sophisticated electronic algorithms, be my guest.

Why thank you, that's so kind of you to allow it!

I will point and laugh if you wreck it, then admit you had everything off.

That's a d*ck thing to say. So, when you manage to wreck with the computer driving for you, we will all know that you have no business driving a sports car.

Besides, are you trying to drive like a complete asshat everywhere you go that you need the ability to drift and roast your tires? Seems like a waste of time and money and unnecessary risk.

Sounds like someone is regretting that he didn't get that Honda Fit.

I'd be willing to bet the majority of you turning the TCS off wouldn't be able to handle it at the limit anyways.

I'll take that wager. Put your money where your mouth is, or stop telling strangers on the internet how to drive, your imagination based opinion of them, and how much driving skill you think they have (also based on nothing).

Old 7/8/12, 02:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by viiStang
Double tap the brake or the TCS button on the center stack? I had my foot on the brake standing still and double tapped the TCS button but it just turns TCS off then AdvanceTrac on?
I'm pretty sure all 2013s have the sport mode, regardless of whether they are PP/Brembo. Hold the break all the way down and tap the TCS button twice. Not super fast, just twice relatively quickly. And yes it says on the dash something like "TCS Sport Mode". I works on my '13 v6. I do have the PP, but I don't think they change the electronic configuration for certain packages.
Old 7/8/12, 04:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Were you trying to come off as a judgemental child?

I've been driving for well over 30 years. I've NEVER had a car with all of these nanny controls, and funny enough, I've NEVER wrecked a car by not having them. And I've had quite a few cars with more power and less traction than my Mustang, including a 1970 Cougar XR7, 1972 Olds 442, and a pair of heavily modified 1985 Camaros.

I turn off the TCS completely in dry weather because it quite honestly doesn't do anything for me. I don't street race and I don't "show off" by doing burnouts or powerslides. Thus, if I am even close to setting off the TCS it's probably because I'm pulling from a side road onto a main road with oncomming traffic, in which case the LAST THING I WANT IS FOR THE COMPUTER TO APPLY THE BRAKES.

If you're so incompetent behind the wheel that you require computers to control your throttle, braking, and cornering for you, perhaps you shouldn't be allowed to drive at all.

Last edited by Moustang; 7/8/12 at 05:16 AM.
Old 7/8/12, 08:11 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Moustang
Were you trying to come off as a judgemental child?

I've been driving for well over 30 years. I've NEVER had a car with all of these nanny controls, and funny enough, I've NEVER wrecked a car by not having them. And I've had quite a few cars with more power and less traction than my Mustang, including a 1970 Cougar XR7, 1972 Olds 442, and a pair of heavily modified 1985 Camaros.

I turn off the TCS completely in dry weather because it quite honestly doesn't do anything for me. I don't street race and I don't "show off" by doing burnouts or powerslides. Thus, if I am even close to setting off the TCS it's probably because I'm pulling from a side road onto a main road with oncomming traffic, in which case the LAST THING I WANT IS FOR THE COMPUTER TO APPLY THE BRAKES.

If you're so incompetent behind the wheel that you require computers to control your throttle, braking, and cornering for you, perhaps you shouldn't be allowed to drive at all.
You don't spin the tires or go sideways so why turn it off? Sounds like you don't understand how these systems work. Do you wear a seatbelt? You must not need one of those silly things sense your such a good driver.
Let me ask you this, are you such a good driver that you could recover a spin on the freeway after getting sideswiped by a truck? It's cocky drivers like you that put other people at risk cause they think they can handle anything. Even Dale Earnhart could not handle being sideswiped and he was 100 times the driver anyone on here is.
Sure Nannies are not miracle workers and can't stop every crash but it means the difference between an accident and negligence.

Sport mode is both non restrictive and can save you and innocent people..... The end.

Last edited by Ghost.223; 7/8/12 at 08:15 AM.
Old 7/8/12, 09:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jmillz
I'm pretty sure all 2013s have the sport mode, regardless of whether they are PP/Brembo. Hold the break all the way down and tap the TCS button twice. Not super fast, just twice relatively quickly. And yes it says on the dash something like "TCS Sport Mode". I works on my '13 v6. I do have the PP, but I don't think they change the electronic configuration for certain packages.
So your 2013 V6 non PP had sport mode? Hmmm I've tried all speeds pushing this button but it won't engage. Maybe this is something I'll need to take to the dealer for.
Old 7/8/12, 10:59 AM
Cobra Member

From the Ford.

Sport mode provides the most road force felt through the steering wheel and requires the highest level of steering effort, allowing the driver to be more in tune with how the vehicle reacts to the road. Comfort mode provides the least amount of road force felt through the steering wheel and requires the least amount of steering effort, which is ideal for long, relaxing drives.

Last edited by TheReaper; 7/8/12 at 11:24 AM.
Old 7/8/12, 11:04 AM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I didn't realize that this would create such a painful thread, I only started this wondering what everybody set theirs at. I've been using sport mode but I do not drive crazy at all, in fact I probably drive this car with more caution because it has so much power. There have been a few times when I lost power between 2nd and 3rd, and that is frustrating but nothing that would cause serious problems.

Chill out guys, this is not a measure of how awesome you are, I just want serious honest answers, and why you do what you do.
Old 7/8/12, 11:14 AM
GT Member

Xcdd
Attached Images  
Old 7/8/12, 11:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ghost.223
That last line reminds me of "hold my beer and watch this"
That's exactly what I say.
Old 7/8/12, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper
From the Ford.

Sport mode provides the most road force felt through the steering wheel and requires the highest level of steering effort, allowing the driver to be more in tune with how the vehicle reacts to the road. Comfort mode provides the least amount of road force felt through the steering wheel and requires the least amount of steering effort, which is ideal for long, relaxing drives.
Yeah that's for the electronic steering control. That I can toggle between standard, sport and comfort. But I just can't seem to enable AdvanceTrac sport mode thru the TcS button.
Old 7/8/12, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ghost.223
You don't spin the tires or go sideways so why turn it off?
Think so?

Try this sometime. Run through a full tank of gas with TCS on and check your average milage at the end. Then, do the same with TCS turned off. I'll bet money that even on dry pavement you get better milage with TCS off.

You'll also get less rear brake wear with TCS turned off. You see, TCS applies the brakes not only when you spin the wheels, but also applies the brakes when it detects body lean. So, cornering at speed, even if you are not losing traction, it will apply the brakes to keep you from cornering harder. In order to override the drag you will step on your gas pedal harder, which will use more fuel, and will also increase brake wear.

Also, under straight line acceleration, the TCS will engage BEFORE the tires lose traction. If you start accelerating and then it feels like the car suddenly starts pulling harder once you reach 20MPH or so, that's not the engine at work, it's the TCS holding you back off the line even though you aren't spinning the tires.

Don't bother talking about how important the system is when you clearly don't understand how it works. It's a nanny for people who don't know how to drive and using it comes with a cost. Reduced performance, reduced fuel milage, and reduced brake life.

BTW, the last two cost you money.

Let me ask you this, are you such a good driver that you could recover a spin on the freeway after getting sideswiped by a truck?
This statement shows clearly that you don't have any idea what TCS is or how TCS works. It's not going to steer for you, it only applies the brakes. Are you trying to suggest you wouldn't be able to apply the brakes on your own if you got sideswiped by a truck?

If that's true then you shouldn't be allowed to drive.

And for the record, YES, I can absolutely, 100% say I can maintain control of the car after being sideswiped by a truck and pushed into the center divider with my car climbing 2 feet up the wall before coming down. That's precisely how my Nissan Maxima was totalled. Despite being sandwiched between a 2 ton truck and the concrete wall, once seperated I was still in complete control of my car and was able to pull it off the side of the road without hitting anything, despite the front left tie rod being shattered and the wheel pointing sideways.

Do yourself a favor and stop now. Your lack of knowledge and experience is showing.

Last edited by Moustang; 7/8/12 at 12:38 PM.
Old 7/8/12, 12:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by viiStang
Yeah that's for the electronic steering control. That I can toggle between standard, sport and comfort. But I just can't seem to enable AdvanceTrac sport mode thru the TcS button.
For the V6s, only models equipped with the Sport Package have the Sport AdvanceTrac setting. All other V6s only have the choice between full on and full off.

Quick Reply: AdvanceTrac Question