Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

5-30 in new 5.0 instead of 5-20?

Search this Thread

Old 2/26/12, 05:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5-30 in new 5.0 instead of 5-20?

Anyone using 5-30? I see the Boss uses 5-50.
Old 2/26/12, 06:00 PM
GTR Member

Boss motors are assembled with different clearances than regular GT 5.0's and are stressed higher that's why the heavier oil.

You can run 5w30 just fine, especially in warm weather, but you may lose a bit of power and economy.
Old 2/26/12, 06:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I guess that answers the questions on how different weights of oil will affect the Ti-VCT system. AFAIK the BOSS engine has an identical Ti-VCT system to the regular Coyote mill.
Old 2/26/12, 06:59 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Well I guess that answers the questions on how different weights of oil will affect the Ti-VCT system. AFAIK the BOSS engine has an identical Ti-VCT system to the regular Coyote mill.
Could be compensated for in the tune if the heavier oil affects the Ti-VCT.
Old 2/26/12, 09:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just stocked up at an autozone sale. Got 20 quarts of Mobil 1 EP 5w30 and 4 M1 filters.

This is a highly debated topic but I believe the 30
Will give u a little better protection
Old 2/27/12, 07:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Could be compensated for in the tune if the heavier oil affects the Ti-VCT.
That is exactly what is done for the Boss. The TiVCT is oil pressure based, and a thicker oil will run at a slightly higher pressure. Ford has compensated for this in their tune for the Boss. I wouldn't go any higher than 5W30 in a regular 5-oh.
Old 2/27/12, 08:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

That oil debate has been raging on since Mercedez Benz first invented the car, so i say the manufacturer knows best what's good for your engine, so i went with Motorcraft 5/20 full syn. for my five-oh.
Old 2/27/12, 08:46 PM

Amen. I've done one oil change so far. Used Castrol Syntech, but I'm going back to the manufacturer spec Motorcraft for future changes. If that's the oil they use during their durability tests, that's good enough for me.

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
That oil debate has been raging on since Mercedez Benz first invented the car, so i say the manufacturer knows best what's good for your engine, so i went with Motorcraft 5/20 full syn. for my five-oh.
Old 2/28/12, 05:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There you go. It always puzzles me why we think we have to second guess engine designers as to what weight oil to use.
Old 2/28/12, 09:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucko
There you go. It always puzzles me why we think we have to second guess engine designers as to what weight oil to use.
It's part of our car culture to try and improve on what the manufacturer has spent millions figuring out. That's something the Top Gear guys always deride Americans for, though there's plenty of vehicle customization done over in Europe too.

If it wasn't for that cultural thing, we wouldn't have so many companies doing chipping/tuning. And if it was that easy to add horsepower and improve fuel mileage, don't you think the manufacturer would have done it from the factory? The answer is yes, so there's got to be a reason they didn't and it's probably a durability concern.

I say the same thing about the oil separators that many on here are so enthralled with. Yes, it might make sense to add if you're adding forced induction to the car, but adding them to a bone stock motor seems pointless to me. Ford's tested this engine extensively and determined that there isn't an issue. They're not going to risk the performance of this motor, which will go into hundreds of thousands of Mustangs, and millions of F-150s, for something that's so simple to fix. At least in my opinion...

Now tell me how wrong I am
Old 2/28/12, 11:41 AM
Bullitt Member

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 2/29/12, 11:24 AM
Cobra R Member

If the manufacturers stuff is oh Sooooooo good, why do "you" (not anyone in particular, just the mustang community) have aftermarket exhausts, tunes, CAIs, wheels, tires, springs, shocks, intakes, shifters and so on.......

Nevermind, it's cause we have money to burn and throw away the great factory parts to put on other Low performance parts.
Old 2/29/12, 11:36 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
If the manufacturers stuff is oh Sooooooo good, why do "you" (not anyone in particular, just the mustang community) have aftermarket exhausts, tunes, CAIs, wheels, tires, springs, shocks, intakes, shifters and so on.......

Nevermind, it's cause we have money to burn and throw away the great factory parts to put on other Low performance parts.
If Vegas laid odds on such things, I'd bet my house on a bone stock car lasting longer than a modded version--and I'd do it every single time, and I'd clean up every single time.

"Good" is relative. Good to you may be more performance. Good to Ford may be a balance of performance with durability and a much lower cost on honoring warranties.

Not sure why the sarcasm is necessary.
Old 2/29/12, 02:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS

Obviously, cars are built to have the greatest amount of appeal and usability for the broad audience and meet their desired price point. Not everyone wants to get better looks and handling in exchange for a punishing ride and the need to creep diagonally over every speed bump at 2 MPH, for example. And not everyone wants to wake up their neighbors with their loud exhaust, though I sure do .

I'm not against the aftermarket in the least, especially on cosmetic things that aren't going to affect the durability of the car long-term. My only point was - engineers far smarter than you & me have spent thousands of hours and millions of dollars figuring out things like the right oil weight, what the engine needs to last for 100,000 miles minimum without a problem, what tune provides the right balance of power, durability and gas mileage, etc. To second guess them and think the aftermarket stuff is automatically going to be better, at least in terms of long-term reliability, is silly.
Old 2/29/12, 03:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I thought I read somewhere that the only reason ford is using 5w-20 is for EPA/CAFE something about money or they had to pay some green tax of some sort can't find where I read that looking
Old 2/29/12, 07:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Kobrag
I thought I read somewhere that the only reason ford is using 5w-20 is for EPA/CAFE something about money or they had to pay some green tax of some sort can't find where I read that looking
Well yeah, part of it is to get better gas mileage but they're not so short-sighted as to spec an oil that is going to kill reliability in the name of an extra 1 MPG. They've been using 5W-20 for close to 10 years - every engine they make is designed for that weight; it's not like some last minute change thrown in.
Old 2/29/12, 09:42 PM
Cobra R Member

No sarcasm meant, it was more of a joke. The thread kinda went the direction of "why change what the manufacturer has done"

I agree about durability and appeasing a large audience. Ford has to appeal to everyone, if they only targeted the "modding" crowd theyd be bankrupt. They have to appeal to women, people who just enjoy a stock car, and the performance aspect. 5w30 over the 20, in theory, is to add a little more protection in maybe a performance or hard worked engine. I doubt it anyway it will hurt the vehicle. Its the same price as well. So, to each his own in their choice of oil. S