Old 4/2/10 | 05:03 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by eci
Please don't act like a Camaro5 mod.
what kinda shop you think we run here?
Old 4/2/10 | 06:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by eci
Sorry Boomer, you're right. The new ECU is spawned from Baby Jesus himself and can deal with any and all conditions including detonation, loss of fuel pressure, you name it! Why not run 20 PSI? It will detect a hole burning through the piston and blow off the extra boost!

When FORD makes a boosted 5.0 in a factory car, I'll bet you the car itself, yes a $50k+ bet, that it won't be a Mustang GT 5.0 with a whipple kit and a FRPP tune. It will be built differently, for boost. Take the bet? You guys buy so much hype, it's hilarious. The engine does not pass "all Ford durability". If it did, Ford would put a 5/60k powertrain warranty on it. Do they? Nope. Wonder why?

Hell, they'll only offer a 12/12k warranty on their FRPP TVS kits designed for motors BUILT for boost.

But I digress, Boomer has convinced me a cast hypereutectic piston is ideal for boost as long as you have a special ECU. It's a relief no ones engine will blow up, I am glad Boomer has assured us of the fact that with the whipple, you can't blow up your engine! Bookmark this page!

Thanks Boomer for your assurances that we cannot blow this engine up!
you are really a piece of work. Everything you say is gospel right?

I mean we have info coming from the horses mouth in whipple and THEY ARE WRONG???????? So where is all this info you have that SHOWS PROOF that this 5.0 DIDN'T pass ALL OF THEIR DURABILITY TESTS????????? come on due tell please mr CEO of FMC.

Lets talk about the past for a second. Remember the yamaha SHO motor? I am certain that car only have the 3yr/36k warranty and you know what? They ran the snot out of that motor for all kinds of durability tests well above 8-9k RPM for hours and hours on end.

What about the 03-04 cobra motor? they only had the same warranty....Roush did a lot of testing for that one...ehhh whatever...I am done.

Now I know why others say don't bother debating with you...trust me now I know.
Old 4/2/10 | 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

If he did, you would still be banned from your previous omniscient adolescent outbursts. Get off your high horse ECI.

Last edited by FordBlueHeart; 4/2/10 at 07:00 PM.
Old 4/2/10 | 07:19 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Yeah thats going too far eci, if Boomer was a camaro5 mod you'd be banned permanently already lol.

But seriously man, Boomer knows his stuff
Old 4/2/10 | 07:19 PM
GT Member

This from a credible source; let's hope it turns out the same for the supercharged 5.0.
This new 5.0, 4 valve, all aluminum, V-8 is going to be off the charts. The current 4.6, 3 valve motor has high compression and cast rods and it loves to be supercharged. I own a 2009 GT500 and my 2007 4.6 Mustang with a Ford Racing Whipple Supercharger is quite a bit quicker tham its GT500 big brother. Reliability of the 4.6 with the 500HP Whipple was so good that Ford Racing bumped it to 550HP. Still with outstanding reliability. I have been running mine for three years now and it has been faultless. The 4.6 Mustang handles better than my 5.4 Shelby as well.
Old 4/2/10 | 09:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

I know ECI is a straight talker but you can be a straight talker and not sound like an A-hole. From the Waterboy, I think its called the social skills. Regarding the 5.0 making reliable power, I'm extremely confident the engine can handle 5 psi and 500-550 BHP. Regrading Ford's disclaimer about the connecting rods, I think Ford wanted to be clear the engine ain't the tree stump the GT500 and Terminators are.
Old 4/2/10 | 09:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by eci
But I digress, Boomer has convinced me a cast hypereutectic piston is ideal for boost as long as you have a special ECU.

i really dont understand all the HATE reguarding hyper pistons?

i ran my 95 gt with NO TUNE AT ALL, 14psi procharger with 3 core intercooler.
motor saw 12.5psi @ 5800 rpm.. ALL STOCK BOTTOM END and Stock heads. 1.7 RR's on heads.
30# inj and seeing about 65psi under full boost. put well over 60000 miles on the car with the blower.

ive had *** ton of detonation because of a tank of bad gas one day.. NO damage at all..
altho it sounded terrible until i put a can a dry gas and octane boost in..

the only time i had any problems running i blew a headgasket. the gasket would go before any piston would.. and the reason the gasket blew was due to the FPR sticking and dumping full pump pressure through the fuel rails which caused the injectors to go static and causing an intake backfire. popping the gasket..

ive been told and firmly believe the 22rule.. max psi for a blower + CR should be under 22 UNLESS the motor is specifically built for blower use and/or running race gas
... IE 8.0 - 8.5 CR and fully forged internals..

in my opinion the new 5.0 will be able to handle close to 9-10 PSI with INTERCOOLING. that is a moderate boost level.. low end being 5-7 high end 12+range which the new 5.0 wont handle.

dont get me started on Forged rods and Forged Powder Metal.
Old 4/2/10 | 10:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pony racer

motor saw 12.5psi @ 5800 rpm.. ALL STOCK BOTTOM END and Stock heads. 1.7 RR's on heads.
30# inj and seeing about 65psi under full boost. put well over 60000 miles on the car with the blower.

ive had *** ton of detonation because of a tank of bad gas one day.. NO damage at all..

the only time i had any problems running i blew a headgasket. the gasket would go before any piston would.. and the reason the gasket blew was due to the FPR sticking and dumping full pump pressure through the fuel rails which caused the injectors to go static and causing an intake backfire. popping the gasket..

ive been told and firmly believe the 22rule.. max psi for a blower + CR should be under 22 UNLESS the motor is specifically built for blower use and/or running race gas

in my opinion the new 5.0 will be able to handle close to 9-10 PSI with INTERCOOLING. that is a moderate boost level.. low end being 5-7 high end 12+range which the new 5.0 wont handle.

I think Jim Bell agrees with you. On the Kenne Bell website, he mentioned using hype cast pistons on the Grand National without issue. Forged is stronger but if you going to melt pistons, forged and cast pistons both melt around the same point.
Old 4/2/10 | 11:56 PM
GT Member

500-550HP
1. 5psi
2. Intercooler
2. 6500rpm
3. Dyno tune

OR

100HP Wet Shot....
Old 4/3/10 | 12:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by todd03blown
What about the 03-04 cobra motor? they only had the same warranty....Roush did a lot of testing for that one...ehhh whatever...I am done.
That engine had a forged bottom end from the factory, it can take twice what the 5.0 will with lower compression to boost.

Originally Posted by FivePointO
500-550HP
1. 5psi
2. Intercooler
2. 6500rpm
3. Dyno tune

OR

100HP Wet Shot....
About my guess 5-6 psi 525-550

Originally Posted by pony racer

With a CR of 11.0 I don't think anything non forged can handle that without meth injection/direct injection/or hellacious intercooling. Your 95 GT motor had way less CR as well 5.0 right? With all the other mods you added a fine layer of protection and survived a blip or two I'd count you as lucky though. Most mod communities reguardless of make tend to agree if a motor is built for max hp N/A adding boost is not a question of if but when.

Case in point LS7. Anything over 5psi without changing pistons or adding meth is boom time before too long even with tunes. Hennessey (IIRC it was one of the major "tuner shops") found that out with the first blower they put on one.

LS engines have the same Hyper/powdered metal piston/rod setup with less CR (10.7)and generally can't take more than 7. Sure there's a few out there surviving on more but as I said it's not if but when. Although with the whipple types they generally can eek out a bit more than the others since this is a "guess" thread my "guess" is going to point to the 5-6/ 525-550 range.
Old 4/3/10 | 01:36 AM
GT Member

7PSI 600HP!!!!
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...d.php?t=155568
Old 4/3/10 | 05:22 AM
I Have No Life

Talking

Originally Posted by Slims00ls1z28
That engine had a forged bottom end from the factory, it can take twice what the 5.0 will with lower compression to boost.

Hennessey (IIRC it was one of the major "tuner shops") found that out with the first blower they put on one.
Agreed, that engine was insanely over engineered for what it put out stock.

As for 'major tuning shops'
There is a huge difference between a tuning shop, and Fords people doing the tune for you.
These are the people that built the engine and system, and have an understanding of whats possible, and access to a wealth of info and resources, well before any tuning shop gets its hands at 'lets see what happens'.
(and yes, the kits coming out have gone through its paces in testing....)

I'm not saying the engine is indestructable, far from it.
Any engine (even terminator motor) can be damaged from a bad tune.

The one big thing is the new 5L and its control software/hardware is so different and more capable of a lot more than what was available in the past, that its no doubt people would doubt its capabilities.

Keeping the safe tune from the kit, you'll be fine.
Start messing with it, and all bets are off.

Last edited by Boomer; 4/3/10 at 05:23 AM.
Old 4/3/10 | 05:53 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by prasac
Ford actually spent alot of time at Accufab in the US checking out and talking to them about some aspects of the engine. the Accufab drag car has a 4.6L twin turbo making 2500hp. they went from the intake going straight in and angled it, as it gets a better flow, something they learnt while they were there and adapted it to the new engine. i have heard but not sure how good my source is, one Coyote engine has been tested and has made close to 2000hp twin turboed

ACCUFAB style manifold
Old 4/3/10 | 06:14 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Falc'man
Good! You've already answered my next question.
Old 4/3/10 | 07:14 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Im shocked at the amount of pissing and moaning over a simple question.

just add 40% to the stock numbers.

you are welcome.
Old 4/3/10 | 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

[QUOTE=Slims00ls1z28;5840108] 95 GT motor had way less CR as well 5.0 right? With all the other mods you added a fine layer of protection and survived a blip or two I'd count you as lucky though. [QUOTE]

9.7 ish C/R if i remember corectly.. ford upped CR to help with emisions from what i remember.
What other mods? there was no others protecting the motor..
93 octane only avail here. ran the car with spout out timing @6* btdc, and STOCK EEC, never tuned or dynoed.

go fast goodies? headers, x-pipe, Upper and lowers, tremec w/pro 5.0 shifter. fuel pumps 190lph in tank, and 70gph inline..

Last edited by pony racer; 4/3/10 at 04:44 PM.
Old 4/4/10 | 02:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
As for 'major tuning shops'
There is a huge difference between a tuning shop, and Fords people doing the tune for you.
These are the people that built the engine and system, and have an understanding of whats possible, and access to a wealth of info and resources, well before any tuning shop gets its hands at 'lets see what happens'.
(and yes, the kits coming out have gone through its paces in testing....)

I'm not saying the engine is indestructable, far from it.
Any engine (even terminator motor) can be damaged from a bad tune.

The one big thing is the new 5L and its control software/hardware is so different and more capable of a lot more than what was available in the past, that its no doubt people would doubt its capabilities.

Keeping the safe tune from the kit, you'll be fine.
Start messing with it, and all bets are off.
True dat.

9.7 ish C/R if i remember corectly.. ford upped CR to help with emisions from what i remember.
93 octane only avail here. ran the car with spout out timing @6* btdc, and STOCK EEC, never tuned or dynoed.

go fast goodies? headers, x-pipe, Upper and lowers, tremec w/pro 5.0 shifter. fuel pumps 190lph in tank, and 70gph inline..[/quote]

Fuel pumps and injectors for one. I've seen many a story where just a freak lean out due to pump or injector burp caused serious lean kaboom situation. Dual pumps and 30# injectors eliminated the possibility of lean out due to lack of fuel which cause more kabooms than "bad gas". Seen/heard it happen with only race gas in the tank. 90% injector duty cycle on a boosted motor is scary. As is a single pump. What was it speed density or MAF? I do have to recant as I forgot about how many I have seen in mags like that (homemade turbo setups etc.)Because your story is not uncommon. Have read about a couple other older 5.0's taking crazy amounts of boost stock with the right parts supplying fuel. Still don't know why. Stronger internals, speed density maybe?

Last edited by Slims00ls1z28; 4/4/10 at 03:04 AM.
Old 4/4/10 | 12:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

True dat.

go fast goodies? headers, x-pipe, Upper and lowers, tremec w/pro 5.0 shifter. fuel pumps 190lph in tank, and 70gph inline..

Fuel pumps and injectors for one. I've seen many a story where just a freak lean out due to pump or injector burp caused serious lean kaboom situation. Dual pumps and 30# injectors eliminated the possibility of lean out due to lack of fuel which cause more kabooms than "bad gas". Seen/heard it happen with only race gas in the tank. 90% injector duty cycle on a boosted motor is scary. As is a single pump. What was it speed density or MAF? I do have to recant as I forgot about how many I have seen in mags like that (homemade turbo setups etc.)Because your story is not uncommon. Have read about a couple other older 5.0's taking crazy amounts of boost stock with the right parts supplying fuel. Still don't know why. Stronger internals, speed density maybe?[/QUOTE]

as far as some systems ive seen the procharger put 17psi to a STOCK motor (14 to motor) MAX and even that was a ticking timebomb. i did ALOT of research before dropping 5+k on blower and other acc to support it.

MAF blow through caled for #30 on intake side. i ran it slightly rich purposly.. did i sacrifice hp with out a tune.. probably 30-50..

stronger internals? im pretty sure the crank wansnt forged.. and only had 2 bolt mains. the intercooler helped alot.. 3 cores Air / Air..

output on blower side could NOT be touched .. 170*+ easily
inlet side to the motor was COLD 70* to the touch even on a 90* day.
intercooling is HUGE for the most part keeps the TEMPS constant on intake..
would never put any type of forced intuction without it.

Last edited by pony racer; 4/4/10 at 12:33 PM.
Old 4/4/10 | 02:24 PM
Cobra Member

I am very much aware as I had an 03 cobra for 5 years that was pullied etc. My point of that post was regarding the warranty part due to ECI's statements about only having a 3/36k mile warranty. The 03-04 have the same exact warranty.