Sponsored By:

5.0 Coyote and 3.5 EcoBoost

Search this Thread

Old 1/9/11, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weigth

Originally Posted by Knight
I have heard it is lighter. Questionable on how much since you have the turbos and plumbing. We'll have to wait for a 3.5eb F150 to be weighed and a 5.0 one to be weighed.
I have seen an article on autoblog stating that the EB3.5 is 449lbs. vs 525-550lbs for the 5.0.
Old 1/9/11, 10:27 AM
GT Member

Just for fun. A link to the past (1960s): http://www.carnut.com/specs/engdim.html
Ford engine specs are included here too.
Far right hand column gives engine weight;
Old 1/9/11, 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jlc41
I have seen an article on autoblog stating that the EB3.5 is 449lbs. vs 525-550lbs for the 5.0.
Not bad your only off by about 100 pounds on the weight of the 5.0.

It's actually 444 pounds.Not sure of the weight of the 3.5 EB.

Also seen other publications say the 5.0 weighs 430 pounds.You can decide which to believe.Here is a link for a 5.0 crate engine says 444.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...L-Crate-Engine
Old 1/9/11, 02:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In the early days of Ford press releases on the topic, they said that an EcoBoost engine would cost about $700-800 more than a larger engine with two more cylinders. If gas goes to $5/gallon, that $700-800 upcharge may pay for itself. If gas is going to be $2/gallon there's little point bothering with a more expensive but more efficient engine.

I would guess the engines would weigh about the same. I wonder about the weight distribution, though. The V6 is going to be shorter, which ought to mean less weight on the nose, right? If the turbochargers and other stuff are mounted closer to the firewall than the nose, you might have a car with better balance, even if the overall weight is the same.

And yes, I realize Ford doesn't need magazine editors to tell them what to think. I just mean it would be cool if someone could drive a prototype who could TELL US about the experience. Speculation is fun but it would be cool to hear from somebody who's actually had time behind the wheel.
Old 1/9/11, 02:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apparently the folks in Ford marketing like the sound of V8s too. They substituted a V8 soundtrack for much of the F-150 EB Baja video.

BTW, Ford plans to do a teardown of the 3.5L EB from that truck at the NAIAS (Detroit) on the 15th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Pi0...eature=channel
Old 1/9/11, 03:30 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by factory fast
I think by doing that it would take away from the whole "muscle car" thing. I think people would start to classify it as a tuner car. Not to mention the crap we would get from the GM guys.
If that's the case, it would seem they have forgotten about the Buick Regal T-Types/GNs, 3rd gen Firebird turbo, the GMC Syclone, and Typhoon. Some of the quickest GM stuff from their era. Those vehicles still earn my respect despite missing two cylinders.

Originally Posted by falhulk
We have not seen a v6 EB above 400hp. The question is can it get there and still povide the torque to match the 5.0.
There was a concept vehicle (forgot which one) that had a EB 6 rated at 415hp. Upgrading the current turbos would easily get it past that.
Old 1/9/11, 08:59 PM
GT Member

I believe gas WILL be 5-6 and higher a gallon within the very forseeable future and that the V6 FI would pay for itself very soon.

Like it or not, because of the tree hugging and general warming of the world, ALL cars off the lots will be "tuners" in the future based on our interpretation of the word now.
Old 1/10/11, 09:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think we should just take the word "tuner" out of our dictionary as meaning a foreign car or engine with 6 cylinders or less. It just doesn't make any sense really. V8's can be tuned, V10's V12's, W12's, I5's, whatever. All of these shops that tune the cars are tuners. I understand the connotation.

Moving on. As of now the EBV6 isn't showing me a whole lot of real world fuel mileage performance to trump the V8's. Those of you who have never driven a turbocharged car, don't really understand that hungry turbo's are hungry. Look at Subaru and the Lancer Evo. The V6 power plant is far superior in that it will get a few miles to the gallon more than the 4 cylinders due to it's lack of need for boost like the 4-bangers. That's just a side note. The key is that if Ford want's to do an ecoboost V6, I'd be open to it. I want V8 music just like the next person and will shoot for a V8 every time. I will never be satisfied with a V6 like I would the V8. Good news is that a V6 with turbo, really helps make up the holes a V6 engine can't fill. We've all driven NA V6's before and understand that a V6 get's winded, the V8 comes through every time. Even in the 80's. Now, I am not yet a tride and true believer in V6's yet as I have always been under the impression of V6>I6>V8. The I6 TT in my BMW was the first 6 cylinder engine I've driven and thought that this is a small V8 in feeling. But it has over 300 lb-ft of torque. As does the new ecoboosted V6. So I can be turned into a believer.

Not many, if at all, sounds will be as iconic as a V8. There is still a demand for V8's as has been proven by car companies. Thus far, the manufacturers will just have to keep researching engine tech and try to get the best fuel mileage as possible. Keep in mind about strong V6's with the 300ZX. It's possible. For now, I just don't see the 5.0L going away. A few years down the road, possibly, but with Ford pushing out higher mileage vehicles, it seems fair to think the engine will stick around.
Old 1/10/11, 07:13 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
You also lose 2 cylinders which pushes the engine farther behind the front axle in effect making it more of a front mid-engined car.

Power curves aside, an EB6 Mustang would certainly be a different beast altogether. Would it be better? Maybe to the technophiles and number junkies but numbers dont nessecarily make a more satisfying car.
Old 1/10/11, 08:41 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
You also lose 2 cylinders which pushes the engine farther behind the front axle in effect making it more of a front mid-engined car.
I prefer a V8 but you are right and you also get a lower center of gravity with the weight being lower from the turbos.
Old 1/10/11, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What ever is done to a 6 to make up for the lack of a power stroke every 90 degrees, if the same were done to a V8, you have a monster. I want Ford to make a DI twin turbo 5.0 V8 to put things back in perspective.
Old 1/11/11, 11:37 PM
Bullitt Member

If you put an ecoboost turbo system on a v8, then it truly would be amazing, but I am unaware of any turbo or supercharger system designed and tested as well as the ecoboost avaialble to actually purchase for the coyote right now. Any ricer can get a 4 cylinder honda or a subari wrx sti up to 500 hp with enough mods, but the reliability would be absolutely abysmal. The work that went in to the ecoboost to make it extremely reliable was great, but given the enormous amount of heat that the twin turbos can produce, I still would like to see how they do over the long term in the real world before using one as a daily driver. Simple seems to have gone a long time ago, but I do not want to add a lot more parts that will need fixing eventually. I might think about a good quality supercharger at very reasonable boost levels, but ideally getting well over 200,000 miles out of a car is more important to me than shaving a second off of my quarter mile time.

Bottom line for me: Give me a Coyote with ecoboost and direct injection, or a plain coyote as is. If neither are available then I will think about the ecoboost v6.
Old 1/12/11, 07:16 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm pretty sure road runner is the ecoboost coyote.

ecoboost 5.0 with 600hp should be in the 2013 or 14 GT500. more power less weight, more then enough to put the Z28 in its place.
Old 1/12/11, 07:55 AM
GT Member

Guys I spent the last 20 some years in the Turbo Buick world, having owned
And raced 7 different flavors, Turbo T's, TTA's and GNs. With todays Newer turbos
And methanol injection their pretty much ALL mid 11 cars that make Great daily drivers
and get great gas mileage.....
Old 1/12/11, 08:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Weight

Originally Posted by knk11stang
Not bad your only off by about 100 pounds on the weight of the 5.0.

It's actually 444 pounds.Not sure of the weight of the 3.5 EB.

Also seen other publications say the 5.0 weighs 430 pounds.You can decide which to believe.Here is a link for a 5.0 crate engine says 444.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...L-Crate-Engine
thanks for the link, I Stand corrected.
Old 1/12/11, 07:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
I think we should just take the word "tuner" out of our dictionary as meaning a foreign car or engine with 6 cylinders or less. It just doesn't make any sense really. V8's can be tuned, V10's V12's, W12's, I5's, whatever. All of these shops that tune the cars are tuners. I understand the connotation.
First, thats not what tuner means. Theres a new tuner race series this year.....most of the entries are v8's. Tuner cars are from companys that specializing in optimization. It has nothing to do with engine size or cylinders. There are Porsche tuner cars.................
Old 1/13/11, 06:40 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
thanks for the link, I Stand corrected.
Day-gone-it! I knew that too since the Coyote is no heavier than the 3v it replaced. GM guys have a hard time believing the 3v 4.6 and 4v 5.0 weigh nearly the same as the LSx engines.

Oh well hows that Gorillaz's song go; "look with your eyes not yor mind"
Old 1/13/11, 09:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by falhulk
First, thats not what tuner means. Theres a new tuner race series this year.....most of the entries are v8's. Tuner cars are from companys that specializing in optimization. It has nothing to do with engine size or cylinders. There are Porsche tuner cars.................
Crikey, Sherlock, you just made the exact statement I did, and reiterated it.

Many associate Japanese and Small Euro cars as "Tuner" cars, i.e. Import Tuner magazine. My point was exactly the one that you made, that any performance shop or manufacturer can be considered a "Tuner" and thus is very expansive to include all cars.