Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

5.0 Coyote and 3.5 EcoBoost

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/11, 01:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
5.0 Coyote and 3.5 EcoBoost

There have been numerous discussions about these two engines and whether the 3.5EB might be a decent Mustang engine some day. We finally have the official EPA data on how they stack up against each other in the same vehicle. Of course, it's still a guessing game how a 3.5EB would do configured for Mustang duty, but in the F-150 the 3.5EB gets one more mpg (both city and highway) than the 5.0 Coyote does in the same truck, while also delivering 5 more hp and 40 more lb/ft of torque. The F-150 with the naturally aspirated 3.7 gets one more mpg than the 3.5EB. The source for the non-EB ratings are here.

The F-150 and the Mustang are two very different vehicles and the same basic engines are tuned differently. But it's a fair guess that were the 3.5EB in the Mustang, you could expect mileage figures that split the difference between the 3.7 and the 5.0, while possibly improving on the performance of our beloved Coyote.
Old 1/7/11, 01:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RandyW
There have been numerous discussions about these two engines and whether the 3.5EB might be a decent Mustang engine some day. We finally have the official EPA data on how they stack up against each other in the same vehicle. Of course, it's still a guessing game how a 3.5EB would do configured for Mustang duty, but in the F-150 the 3.5EB gets one more mpg (both city and highway) than the 5.0 Coyote does in the same truck, while also delivering 5 more hp and 40 more lb/ft of torque. The F-150 with the naturally aspirated 3.7 gets one more mpg than the 3.5EB. The source for the non-EB ratings are here.

The F-150 and the Mustang are two very different vehicles and the same basic engines are tuned differently. But it's a fair guess that were the 3.5EB in the Mustang, you could expect mileage figures that split the difference between the 3.7 and the 5.0, while possibly improving on the performance of our beloved Coyote.
I love the Coyote, but I suspect a 3.5L EB equipped Mustang GT would murder the 5.0L assuming both are tuned for Mustang duty. Then again, I suspect the EB would add to the msrp too.
Old 1/7/11, 01:36 PM
MOTM Committee Member

I drove both versions at the Drive F150 event in SoCal and I ran nearly identical times on the strip. The only difference was the exhaust note. The 3.5EB is one beast of a motor
Old 1/7/11, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about an ecoboost 5.0?
Old 1/7/11, 01:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

One thing to consider is that peak performance may not translate to a total performance gain. I mean it's not that far off, a torque curve would give us the bigger picture, and the 5.0 is eventually expected to get DI, which the 3.5EB already has. Even if truly better, I don't expect the 5.0 to go anywhere, throw a supercharger on it and you'll get plenty more horsepower, and some people will just want a V8.
Old 1/7/11, 01:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lancel
One thing to consider is that peak performance may not translate to a total performance gain. I mean it's not that far off, a torque curve would give us the bigger picture, and the 5.0 is eventually expected to get DI, which the 3.5EB already has. Even if truly better, I don't expect the 5.0 to go anywhere, throw a supercharger on it and you'll get plenty more horsepower, and some people will just want a V8.
Even better, I would be willing to bet that a supercharged application with a rootes or TVS supercharger running lower boost levels would be relatively comparable cost wise to the 3.5L EB. Of course, fuel economy probably wouldn't be.
Old 1/7/11, 04:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackOut2k11
How about an ecoboost 5.0?
or an ecoboost 3.7?
Old 1/7/11, 07:47 PM
GT Member

I think by doing that it would take away from the whole "muscle car" thing. I think people would start to classify it as a tuner car. Not to mention the crap we would get from the GM guys.
Old 1/7/11, 07:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by factory fast
I think by doing that it would take away from the whole "muscle car" thing. I think people would start to classify it as a tuner car. Not to mention the crap we would get from the GM guys.
I see what your saying but I do like the idea of a twin turbo Mustang! Something that the SVO's were all about back in the 80's..
Old 1/7/11, 08:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Rumors were floating around before the 2011s were released and the 3.5 EB has said to be canned for mustang. There still is some spulation floating around that it may end up in a special edition someday.
Old 1/7/11, 08:59 PM
GT Member

Special edition would be fine but not as a GT model. The mustang has such a long history with the V8 it just wouldnt seem right.
Old 1/8/11, 08:30 AM
V6 Member

I think there's a a somewhat intangible element of personality / sound quality etc. of the V8 vs. the V6 turbo that just makes the 5.0 a better Mustang engine. It's not always just about the numbers...
Old 1/8/11, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

We have not seen a v6 EB above 400hp. The question is can it get there and still povide the torque to match the 5.0.
Old 1/8/11, 03:47 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kckmustang
I think there's a a somewhat intangible element of personality / sound quality etc. of the V8 vs. the V6 turbo that just makes the 5.0 a better Mustang engine. It's not always just about the numbers...
I grant that the Coyote makes beautiful music. It would be hard for a V6 to beat it. Being accompanied by the sound of a couple of whining turbochargers would make the V6 sound more interesting, if it's tuned right.

I just think it would be cool if Ford built a few prototypes of the Mustang GT with the 3.5EB and let the magazines take them for a spirited drive. Some audio clips would be good, too. You're right, it's not just about the numbers. A car that does the best against the stopwatch may not be the most fun to drive, and that is the point for most of us. We need to have some humans drive them and give us their impressions before passing judgment.
Old 1/8/11, 04:28 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by falhulk
We have not seen a v6 EB above 400hp. The question is can it get there and still povide the torque to match the 5.0.
Larger turbos ought to get the job done. I imagine it's just a question of time and money. As for me, the 5.0 is wonderful, but I've seen so many different engines in Mustangs over the years that I hardly feel that the Mustang must be restricted to the 5.0 as might some people.
Old 1/8/11, 07:42 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by falhulk
Yes the torque curve of the EB is so flat its been proven with a computer tune on SHO that the engine can make a solid 400+ hp with a massive torque curve.
Old 1/8/11, 07:47 PM
Cobra R Member

I don't care how much more horsepower we would get, the mustang GT should never be without a v8, it's just wrong.
Old 1/8/11, 10:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
I grant that the Coyote makes beautiful music. It would be hard for a V6 to beat it. Being accompanied by the sound of a couple of whining turbochargers would make the V6 sound more interesting, if it's tuned right.

I just think it would be cool if Ford built a few prototypes of the Mustang GT with the 3.5EB and let the magazines take them for a spirited drive. Some audio clips would be good, too. You're right, it's not just about the numbers. A car that does the best against the stopwatch may not be the most fun to drive, and that is the point for most of us. We need to have some humans drive them and give us their impressions before passing judgment.
Oh I'm sure there have been a number of Mustangs with the EB3.5 have already been produced and driven, but not by magazine editors. I'm pretty sure Ford has more talented and knowlegable people than most of the magazine editors anyway.

I'm sure it would make one hell of a Mustang, but it doesn't matter if it's not marketable. It would likely offer similar performance to the 5.0 and be far more expensive.

Remember back in the 80's when the GT was offered with either 4cyl turbo or the 5.0??? Almost no one bothered with the Turbo GT even though they had similar performance numbers, and the Turbo 4 offered better mileage and handling. There was a number of reasons why. The TGT was more expensive, more complicated, and didn't offer the same allure of a simple V8.

I'm guessing it would be a similar situation today.
Old 1/9/11, 07:01 AM
GT Member

Does anybody know if the 3.5 E.B. would save significant weight over the 5.0?
Old 1/9/11, 08:22 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have heard it is lighter. Questionable on how much since you have the turbos and plumbing. We'll have to wait for a 3.5eb F150 to be weighed and a 5.0 one to be weighed.

Quick Reply: 5.0 Coyote and 3.5 EcoBoost