2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2014 GT/CS Towing Limits

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/13, 05:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heres a GT3 Towing that I saw lol,Hid the hitch under the Plate
Name:  BD13CAB9-42F1-43E5-95F4-4E5E6B74ACB2-6595-00000057E145EDF1_zps599e251c.jpg
Views: 3400
Size:  331.7 KB
Old 5/9/13, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by the5
Heres a GT3 Towing that I saw lol,Hid the hitch under the Plate
Do you know where I could find one that you hide underneath the licence place, or any body else? I think that would be a great option, My dad is already starting to create a trailer under 500LBS for me. Thank you all!
Old 5/9/13, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UnrealFord
I really can't understand why people are against towing? If your going to stay within the limits, there's no big deal. Especially if your talking about making 3 stops.
It's simple, man law. Page 47 section 3 article c) no man shall tow with their mustang. True story.
Old 5/9/13, 11:23 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by muscledom
It's simple, man law. Page 47 section 3 article c) no man shall tow with their mustang. True story.
well said brother
Old 5/9/13, 11:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There is not enough room behind the license plate unless the hitch is custom built from what I have seen....at least on my '11. I just bought mine from e-trailer.com and took an hour or so to install. Also, if the license plate on the car is not visible, it could cause issues with unhappy law enforcement officials. I also use mine for a bike rack to carry the wife's regular wheel chair when she is having pain issues.
Old 5/9/13, 12:18 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by adamxbomb
The stumps, I have the trailer sitting at home so it wont cost me anything, but the truck from uhaul is over 1000$, kinda stupid of me to do that IMO.
Gotcha. There'll be some great off roading out there for sure. I've never used this service, but try uship.com. I believe shippers bid on how much they can ship your stuff for (saw it on tv). Maybe it comes out cheaper or around the same cost?

Other than that, sounds like you'd be fine towing it as long as you did your research first.
Old 5/10/13, 02:09 AM

I think ive made the decision to do it, But going to have to make it a custom fit, because the GT/CS rear bumper is closer to the ground. People with the CS would know what I mean, I might have to either go out the licence plate or custom make one to go under the bumper. Either way im going to give it a try, Cali desert is a nice place to ride and want to use my quad out there, I have 2 years left on contract so I dont want my quad sitting 1600 miles away as a giant paper weight. I would prefer to have the ability to haul it because I cannot just drive it off base to ride, I would need to trailer it, But I did have Uhaul quote me and we will see the results later on. Until then, I shall continue to wait for R&R, Then ill create a thread and let you guys know how everything went from fuel economy to the trailer set up, Just incase someone down the road wants to do something crazy like this.

Also, look at this: http://www.cjponyparts.com/rtr-licen...d-2013/p/LPS1/

Does this mean that there is already a hole in the bumper where this peice fits into, or does this just go over top the bumper for the licence place? If so, If i was to drill into this plastic peice the bumper would be fine correct? Can anybody verify this? If anything I could just replace this peice if I ever wanted to take the hitch off and sell the car.

This just answered my question: http://www.cjponyparts.com/mustang-r...uctions/a/443/

Think this is possible?

Last edited by adamxbomb; 5/10/13 at 02:19 AM.
Old 5/10/13, 06:46 AM
Cobra Member

Do not attach to the bumper. Attach to the frame rails above the mufflers as the aftermarket ones do. Look at retailer.com...they list the under bumper for the new cars.
I have built many hitches for motorcycles and custom cars. There is not really enough room behind the plate to get a secure mount for the work involved. You must also have room to fit your hand to install the pin....

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2013_Ford_Mustang.htm
Mine is not real noticeable...

Old 5/10/13, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by AzPete
Do not attach to the bumper. Attach to the frame rails above the mufflers as the aftermarket ones do. Look at retailer.com...they list the under bumper for the new cars.
I have built many hitches for motorcycles and custom cars. There is not really enough room behind the plate to get a secure mount for the work involved. You must also have room to fit your hand to install the pin....

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2013_Ford_Mustang.htm
Mine is not real noticeable...

Pete-

It would still be attached to the bumper, but instead of going down from the frame it would go up, does that make sence? Plus I dont trust that flimsy 1 1/4in tubing, Id rather make it myself and know it was made right.
Old 5/10/13, 07:30 AM
Cobra Member

Mine does not attach to the bumper at all....that does interfere with the accident crush areas of the bumper. Have you looked under the car to see the space you will be working with? The after market hitches are not weak....I see no reason for heavier....but if you use heavier material, keep the outer size the same as the aftermarket units for the space is limited.

Last edited by AzPete; 5/10/13 at 07:36 AM.