Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013 mustang selectshift?

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/12, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Mafia
I have a 12' auto. Stock for stock or mod for mod. I will crush you 7 out if 10 easily in the 1/4. Probably more like 8/10 but I'm being conservative. The 6r80 is bulletproof and your mt82....well, you already know.

and your point being?

clearly you didn't read what I said about it being more consistent

I wouldn't say crush either, that's just a stupid comment lol

And those 2 or 3 times I did beat you, I'd had the quickest time out of all the runs.

And no, my My MT82 is buttery smooth so I have no clue what you're talking about.

No need to get defensive, I have an opinion on what I like, don't cry man.
Old 7/13/12, 10:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Funny how people get on the defensive about different tastes. Not everyone is going to like what you like even the choice of transmissions. If its what you like and what you want then hey good for you. But I have to question why does it always come down to speed??? To me a car is about so much more than who can get to the next light faster. If I could fling poo to the next light faster than your car can make it.. Does it mean the poo is better than your car???
Old 7/13/12, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I’ve taken no offense from any of the opinions here, nor is this post defensive…mere observations, personal opinion and fact:
After driving for 33 years with the majority of those miles behind a manual transmission, I can say with decided certainty that I know how to drive a manual transmission, probably much better than most.
I drove both transmission types offered in the Mustang before making my choice. Of all the cars equipped with manual transmissions I’ve driven, some of them exotic, extreme performance cars, the MT82 in my opinion ranked among the lowest on the list. While the clutch was very smooth and quite effortless, the syncho’s were an absolute abomination. It became quickly clear to me why there are reports floating around out there of these trannies getting stuck in and between gears. With a good performance transmission the driver should have to apply next to no force on the shifter to change gears…you should have to do little more than just think it into gear. Shifting the beast I drove felt like I was forcing it into gear against the syncho’s. It felt like I was flexing linkage and then it would finally snap into gear. I don’t see how a rail shift trannie can feel like that but it did. I said nothing about it to the salesman with me. I thought maybe it was me so when the he asked if he could drive it for a few miles I obliged in earnest. After he was through I asked him what he thought of the trany. He looked at me and without hesitation said, “You can buy what you want but I think the manual takes too much force to shift”. I felt vindicated at that point…it’s not just me~
As far as strip times and who and what will beat who X number of times, that’s way too subjective to even dignify a response. My only point is the auto in sport-shift mode is spot on, lightning fast, never misses a shift, etc. An almost imperceptible amount of efficiency is lost through the fluid coupling of modern automatic transmissions anymore but you get the advantage of its ability to multiply torque from a hole-shot. …it’s getting tougher and tougher for man to outperform machine.
Time to go work on the Mustang…the winged kind.
Later,
John
Old 7/13/12, 12:47 PM
Bullitt Member

My only extra comment, better to share the car than a puppy
Old 7/13/12, 12:49 PM
Bullitt Member

After 33 years of driving I think you're just getting old and enjoying the finer things in life

just kidding, the tranny is not as smooth as other transmissions i've driven (s2000 for one) but at the same time I like the feel of it in this particular car. It feels right at home in a muscle car to have a tranny that doesn't feel like it is going to brake if you slam it to hard, not to mention it's getting easier and easier to drive it every time I do, it takes so getting use to that's for sure. But I love it, and wouldn't trade it for an auto.

Anyways, back on topic. OP get what you feel you'd enjoy the most. The worst thing that can happen is buyers remorse wishing you had got what you really wanted. You're going to be living with this car for 3 years, get what you feel will give you most enjoyment when driving it and that you can live with everyday.
Old 7/13/12, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by LLZuB
After 33 years of driving I think you're just getting old and enjoying the finer things in life .
...entirely possible!

I have buyers remorse every once in a while when I look in it and see the auto...only lasts a few seconds though~
Old 7/13/12, 02:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have been driving lets see.. Started at 13 and now I am... Hmmm 41 years.. most of my cars have been stick by choice. I love to drive.. One of my favorite things in this life is driving. I have been know to drive over 22 hours straight with no signs of being tired of driving after those hours. In fact every time I go to Florida on the return trip I leave at 6:00am and get to my door in NY at 12:00 midnight. With manual like I stated before you feel like you are controlling the car not just pointing it and using the gas. Again to each his own.. The main thing is its a Mustang!!!
Old 7/13/12, 07:33 PM

I test drove a 2009 Shelby manual last Friday at CarMax. It was a blast. It had me second guessing my choice of 2013 GT Auto. But now that I've had my 2013 Select Shift automatic for 4 days, it is also a blast. Both transmissions are more fun than a barrel of monkeys with these awesome cars and motors. You will be happy either way.

For me, living in the Los Angeles area, the automatic is the right choice. Clutching in bumper to bumper traffic is too much strain on my worn out knees. And then there is the wife to consider...
Old 7/14/12, 04:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can see the point in going to an automatic transmission after all the horror stories on ALL the Mustang boards concerning shifting problems with the manual transmissions and the clutch problems.
Old 7/14/12, 07:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm just curious what happened to freedom of choice.

Why is there a battle of auto vs stick ?

It's just a car , buy what you want, and enjoy.....these cars are awesome in any flavour...just drive safe and have fun !
Old 7/14/12, 07:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BigR
I'm just curious what happened to freedom of choice.

Why is there a battle of auto vs stick ?

It's just a car , buy what you want, and enjoy.....these cars are awesome in any flavour...just drive safe and have fun !
Good point. Although 6R80 for life! Lol
Old 7/15/12, 11:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll make a video for u on it no worried my neighbor got a v6

I'll be making a vid on it about reverse sensors anyway
Old 7/18/12, 12:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
heres the vid i said id make

Old 7/18/12, 08:48 AM

thanks for the video..

i was really hoping to see it actually in action. but still cool..

thanks again
Old 7/18/12, 01:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by HizliBullet
I'll make a video for u on it no worried my neighbor got a v6

I'll be making a vid on it about reverse sensors anyway

Hiz, did I see that right? Only 81 miles............WOW.
Old 7/18/12, 02:15 PM

I had to get auto as well because my wife was against the stick from our test drive of a manual 2013 GT/CS. So we special ordered one with auto and I love it. The sport shift mode is awsome to me. You can put it in sports shift mode and not shift gears but it drives completly different then in normal drive mode. Or of course you can shift them your self.
Old 7/18/12, 07:46 PM
V6 Member

Can I assume the auto does not rev match downshifts?
Old 7/19/12, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Number23
Can I assume the auto does not rev match downshifts?
It actually does. It will rev match in both sport modes (auto and "manual") while down shifting. It's pretty slick.
Old 7/19/12, 12:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wanted33
Hiz, did I see that right? Only 81 miles............WOW.
it was 81Kilometers
Old 7/20/12, 10:59 PM
GT Member

I just came from my m6 2011 camaro to a 2011 5.0 A6. I had zero intention in getting a 2011 or an auto when I went into the dealer. My intention was to get a 2013 stripped GT at or under invoice. I been driving nothing but manual for the last 15 years, a 1.8T, 3 suby, new camaro, and a few manual beaters in between. When my dealer couldn't locate a new base manual GT in a color that I wanted I took the grabber blue 2011 A6 GT/CS that was Loaded except for navigation that was sitting on their lot. The main reason that lead me to this choice was HELL of a deal $$$ It was too good to refuse. I said WTH, its everything I want plus more except that it was a freaking auto. Plus most of my camaro buddies all drive A6 with paddle shifter, sport mode, etc...and they all seem to have fun especially after having it tuned. The first couple days I had the car I had no complaints. It was a little different but it was not bad at all. Than I started going through a little withdrawal from the full control I used to get with driving a manual. I would get in my car and my left foot would automatically go where the clutch would be than I would realize that I have an auto I'm going to be completely honest with you guys, if I could turn back the time, I really wouldnt have went with auto. Doesn't matter if I would got a civic, I would got a manual lol, BUT....this A6 is really not all that bad, and this is coming from a guy that used to bash my auto buddies and other 2 peddlers lol. I thought I made a HUGE mistake, but once I got used to the way this auto work with the motor and learned how to control my gas foot, its really starting to grow on me. I believe once I get a tune, a good tranny tune, I will be even more satisfied.

I also want to throw out there about select shift, manumatic, or whatever one want to call it. Like I said before, almost 90% of my camaro club guys are all auto guys. I know half of them got the auto because of the new paddle shfters in the camaro, and the other half just prefer auto for different reasons. Those that got the auto, I can tell you now that none of them use paddle shifter. They all say they leave it on regular auto and sport mode when they want to do some spirited driving. Unless we are talking about SMG, SST, or a stupid fast dual clutch setup, I would have to say everything else is just all a bunch of promotion or selling hype. If you want to change gears in a mustang GT, I will have to say stick with a stick because I think most A6 guys that get the auto because of select shift or paddles will barely use it after awhile. I don't know how the select shift is in the new GT, but the paddles in the camaro is definitely no SMG. Not even close.

Last edited by BOWTIE-X; 7/20/12 at 11:07 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 mustang selectshift?