Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013 mustang selectshift?

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/12, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 mustang selectshift?

hello everyone..

im a new member, ive been looking around these forums a lot recently, and i finally signed up..

i have a 2013 mustang auto v6 premium in deep impact blue on the way(hopefully another 3 weeks at most)

my question is, does anyone have a video in their mustang using the selectshift function? the videos i found on youtube are just random ford vehicles, and they have the paddle shifters.

does anyone with the auto trans actually use this feature?

thanks guys
Old 7/11/12, 10:22 AM
Bullitt Member

I use it sometimes, very easy, and comfortable.

You can just leave it in sport mode and not use the buttons, holds the revs a little longer, and sounds nice.
Old 7/11/12, 11:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ what he said
Old 7/12/12, 11:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Big R's got it. It's ez/pz and kinda fun.
Old 7/12/12, 12:33 PM

thanks guys.. i really wanted to get it with the manual transmission.

this is going to be the first car me and my girlfriend are getting together, and she is afraid of manual trans. we leased it, so i should be able to live with it for the 3 years.. lol.. but with it being a lease.. i cant mess with it too much.. hopefully in a couple years, i can buy an older one and then mod it
Old 7/12/12, 12:59 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by krypton
thanks guys.. i really wanted to get it with the manual transmission.

this is going to be the first car me and my girlfriend are getting together, and she is afraid of manual trans. we leased it, so i should be able to live with it for the 3 years.. lol.. but with it being a lease.. i cant mess with it too much.. hopefully in a couple years, i can buy an older one and then mod it
First of all, DO NOT enter into ANY loan, lease or any other type of financial relationship with a woman you are not married to. If you can't afford the car on your own, keep saving money until you can. The last thing you want to do is have to chase down an ex because she stopped making her half the payments.

As to the manual transmission. It's really not that hard to learn, she could likely become reasonably proficient in an afternoon. Don't get a car with an auto-tragic transmission because your girlfriend can't drive a manual trans.
Old 7/12/12, 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Number23
First of all, DO NOT enter into ANY loan, lease or any other type of financial relationship with a woman you are not married to. If you can't afford the car on your own, keep saving money until you can. The last thing you want to do is have to chase down an ex because she stopped making her half the payments.

As to the manual transmission. It's really not that hard to learn, she could likely become reasonably proficient in an afternoon. Don't get a car with an auto-tragic transmission because your girlfriend can't drive a manual trans.
This ^ Watch Judge Judy to see where he is coming from. You and her may share a super bond and no one is debating that. But this is treading on dangerous territory. Not to mention the other arguments that may come from who gets to drive etc.....
Old 7/12/12, 01:21 PM

i am aware of these issue with the non married thing.. we can each afford the car on our own, it is just the next step, we are splitting the car, because we already live together, and we are saving for a house(there is no reason to have 2 cars, we live in brooklyn, parking is horrible, and my gf works in manhattan and takes the train to work).. which we both want before we getting married, we already have written agreements with this stuff if anything in the relationship goes bad..

i appreciate the concern, and i was a little iffy on the whole thing myself..
Old 7/12/12, 01:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by krypton
i am aware of these issue with the non married thing.. we can each afford the car on our own, it is just the next step, we are splitting the car, because we already live together, and we are saving for a house(there is no reason to have 2 cars, we live in brooklyn, parking is horrible, and my gf works in manhattan and takes the train to work).. which we both want before we getting married, we already have written agreements with this stuff if anything in the relationship goes bad..

i appreciate the concern, and i was a little iffy on the whole thing myself..
with that said get the Stick..
Old 7/12/12, 01:46 PM

lol.. is it too late in the game to change my order for a stick shift if i could convince her?
Old 7/12/12, 04:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
In spite of all the disparaging comments about automatic transmissions, don’t toss this one under the bus to quickly… I’m going to go out on a limb and say those making the comments have not driven behind the 6R80 yet. After a lifetime of manual transmissions I had my own trepidation about buying an auto this time as well. Sport-shift is the nuts! It’s tight, accurate and on time, every time. I defy anybody to shift their six slot faster and more accurately than the 6R80 can. It, in my opinion, it's the best of both worlds and so far I haven’t found a downside to it. It would likely need a cooler for if you’re planning on taking it to the road course for some very serious track time. Where you live with all the downtown driving, the manual would have been a real pain in the @ss. Wise choice. “Real” sport cars and race cars don’t need to have manual trannies in them any more to make them proven winners~
John

Last edited by Horspla; 7/12/12 at 04:03 PM.
Old 7/12/12, 04:11 PM

i agree with you.. that is also one of the reasons i didnt fight the manual tranny issue that much.. all the traffic around here..

it would have been a lot cooler if they offered paddle shifters like the competitors do
Old 7/12/12, 04:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got the manual and absolutely love it!! But you living in Brooklyn and all, get the auto.
Old 7/12/12, 06:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Horspla
In spite of all the disparaging comments about automatic transmissions, don't toss this one under the bus to quickly... I'm going to go out on a limb and say those making the comments have not driven behind the 6R80 yet. After a lifetime of manual transmissions I had my own trepidation about buying an auto this time as well. Sport-shift is the nuts! It's tight, accurate and on time, every time. I defy anybody to shift their six slot faster and more accurately than the 6R80 can. It, in my opinion, it's the best of both worlds and so far I haven't found a downside to it. It would likely need a cooler for if you're planning on taking it to the road course for some very serious track time. Where you live with all the downtown driving, the manual would have been a real pain in the @ss. Wise choice. "Real" sport cars and race cars don't need to have manual trannies in them any more to make them proven winners~
John
word^
Old 7/12/12, 07:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Horspla
In spite of all the disparaging comments about automatic transmissions, don’t toss this one under the bus to quickly… I’m going to go out on a limb and say those making the comments have not driven behind the 6R80 yet. After a lifetime of manual transmissions I had my own trepidation about buying an auto this time as well. Sport-shift is the nuts! It’s tight, accurate and on time, every time. I defy anybody to shift their six slot faster and more accurately than the 6R80 can. It, in my opinion, it's the best of both worlds and so far I haven’t found a downside to it. It would likely need a cooler for if you’re planning on taking it to the road course for some very serious track time. Where you live with all the downtown driving, the manual would have been a real pain in the @ss. Wise choice. “Real” sport cars and race cars don’t need to have manual trannies in them any more to make them proven winners~
John
I've driven both... I own a manual and had an auto as a rental...no way in hell would I buy the auto, I got sick of it in 10 minutes and wanted my manual back. Not trying to be a jerk, but the auto is not anything special and still light years behind other cars with dual clutch auto trannies. The select a shift is a joke at best with its button from the old parts bin of the 1996 Taurus and wind star. Sure you'll be more consist ant with the auto but that does not mean it will be quicker every time, and the fun factor of the manual trumps everything anyways.

Last edited by LLZuB; 7/12/12 at 07:09 PM.
Old 7/12/12, 07:13 PM

the "button" for the selectshift, im not thrilled about.. why not make it like every other car maker, and actually move the shifter to shift in manual mode..
Old 7/12/12, 09:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LLZuB

I've driven both... I own a manual and had an auto as a rental...no way in hell would I buy the auto, I got sick of it in 10 minutes and wanted my manual back. Not trying to be a jerk, but the auto is not anything special and still light years behind other cars with dual clutch auto trannies. The select a shift is a joke at best with its button from the old parts bin of the 1996 Taurus and wind star. Sure you'll be more consist ant with the auto but that does not mean it will be quicker every time, and the fun factor of the manual trumps everything anyways.
I have a 12' auto. Stock for stock or mod for mod. I will crush you 7 out if 10 easily in the 1/4. Probably more like 8/10 but I'm being conservative. The 6r80 is bulletproof and your mt82....well, you already know.
Old 7/13/12, 02:11 AM

I love my 2013 auto. The button works fine. It shifts when I want it to. It pulls hard, a very fun ride. From a dead stop it shoots down the road like a rocket as I click through the gears. It's great in traffic. After many years with manual transmissions, this car is the first auto that has it all (for me).
Old 7/13/12, 04:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Get a tune and the auto is a beast.
Old 7/13/12, 07:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Before buying the 2013 I had a Auto 2006 and a 2000 5 Speed Audi Quattro TT and let me say I loved the feel of my 2006 Mustang (I kept it like new) I even put in a TCI shifter in it. But I still never had the seat of the pants fun in my Mustang as I did in the Manual TT. The Mustang I set up with 3:73 and a JLT CAI and again loved the sound, and the overall car but the Auto even with the ratchet did not have the seat of the pants fun in driving. Let me say the best decision I made with the 2013 was getting the 6 speed and the Performance Package. The car is a f**king blast to drive. Its like I took the best of both of the cars I had and put them into one (Which was the plan) Also I live in Long Island and I know traffic as well. If you have complaints with a Stick in traffic you are doing it wrong!!! You don't have to push in the clutch till your almost at a dead stop. And if you are coming to a dead stop each time you maybe to close the the car in front of you. I am glad you have a choice and I am sure most Mustang owners agree the Manual is the way to go..

Quick Reply: 2013 mustang selectshift?