Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013 GT Track Pack mini review

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/12, 09:55 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Thanks for the great write up. I feel the same way about mine. My wife still doesn't understand why I didn't just get regular seats. I keep telling her to wait till we go for a drive up on the Blue Ridge Parkway and she will understand. I giggle every time I walk up to the car from the front and see the Recaro lettering.
Lol... I already giggle and smile whenever I see mine, period. . from ANY angle.

Last edited by FromZto5; 7/18/12 at 10:14 PM.
Old 7/17/12, 07:48 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5

Lol... I already giggle and smile whenever I see my period. . from ANY angle.
........ I really hope you mean "mine"
Old 7/17/12, 10:37 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by CCTking
........ I really hope you mean "mine"
Holy spell check error. That sounded so
Old 7/18/12, 06:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ha ha....I was like, ummmmm.....ok.
Old 7/18/12, 08:52 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Haha its ok. We all know you were distracted by the shine on your stang!
Old 7/18/12, 10:14 PM
I Have No Life

Lol....spelling and punctuation...thx for reminding me guys
Old 7/28/12, 10:34 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, anyone tracked their 2013 yet? I have been learning about auto cross and getting ready to start actually tracking my car.

Zto2, I haven't taken pix yes... Been busy working on this... A helicopter mount for my camera. I'll be doing some aerial vids ad photos soon!
Attached Thumbnails 2013 GT Track Pack mini review-image-1535647007.jpg  
Old 7/28/12, 11:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

That's a pretty involved piece of camera equipment from the picture. I want to autocross my car too but I have to drive like an hour to get to the nearest group of SCCA guys. I guess I will wait till I get to Germany and hit the Nurburgring for some fun. I'm still learning the limits of my car (to an extent).
Old 7/28/12, 01:35 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had an interesting series of events at work. If all goes well, I have a buyer lined up for my 2011 with a good price in mind, and as soon as he gives me a deposit, I'll put the order in.
Old 7/28/12, 01:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I just had an interesting series of events at work. If all goes well, I have a buyer lined up for my 2011 with a good price in mind, and as soon as he gives me a deposit, I'll put the order in.
Right on!
Old 7/28/12, 09:50 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Overboost
Steve....say it ain't so. . Didn't you just buy and install your boss exhaust? Maybe I can buy it off of ya

Sky, wtf is that helicopter camera mount. Holy moly. That looks awesome! How does it work?
Old 7/28/12, 10:25 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve....say it ain't so. . Didn't you just buy and install your boss exhaust? Maybe I can buy it off of ya

Sky, wtf is that helicopter camera mount. Holy moly. That looks awesome! How does it work?
If I sell it, it's going right on the new one. I will put the car back to mostly stock and carry most of the parts over.
Old 7/29/12, 09:13 PM
Cobra Member

Haha. It goes on the nose of a heli. It's going to be used to take aerial photos. It's controlled from the inside of a heli.
Old 8/4/12, 07:02 PM
Cobra Member

Takin her out to the track tomorrow to see what she does. Updates to follow!
Old 8/8/12, 01:46 PM
Cobra Member

Went out to el toro air field on sunday for the autocross event. Weather was toasty which made it a bit tough on the body.

On to the review..

Engine: performed really well. Of course very torquey and at times overpowered. No overheating.

Brakes: the brembos are wonderful. No fade, no oil boiling and they stopped well. Easily locked up (with abs active) if you slammed too hard.

Tires: the tires were ok. Grippy however they weren't as grippy under heavy acceleration, nothing I didn't expect here though. Around sharp turns they tended to give out if my speed was too high, I think this is an aspect of the relatively super heavy car though. Also, I wast really pushing the car hard.

Suspension: the suspension handled very well. I love the stiffer sway bars. Roll was very low and it handled the slaloms very effortlessly. I'd opt for stiffer coils if I were to track it often. however, this is a good balance for street and track. This is where the boss outshines.

Differential: the gear ratio was perfect. High revving and put me in the powerband to be able to accelerate blisteringly fast out of turns. The torsien handled exceptionally well under turns. If anyone has experienced torque steer, you know how much of an issue it is. There was none here. There were a few other stangs there that were losing traction at the outer wheels while accelerating out of turns, the torsien (with proper throttle control) did a great job here.

Interior: my main gripes with the car were with the interior. The optimum seating position is with the wheel fairly close to you. The wheel does not extend so if you are taller, you will either be too close that your thighs are hitting the wheel or too far that your arms are near straight.The leather steering wheel at times was too slippery, I think Ill switch over to alcantra down the road.

The other big issue was the recaro seats. They hug well, however not as much as other racing seats. I had to brace my left foot on the dummy pedal and cinch my seat belt very tight to help keep me in place. The other issue was the seat height. I'm 6'1"-6'2" and with a racing helmet I had about a half inch of clearance between the helmet and the roof. When I moved anywhere away from dead center the helmet hits the roof. This is extremely frustrating since you don't often look forward while racing, you are always looking down the course a few turns ahead. So the helmet would rub and it would prevent motion. There was about an inch I clearance behind my head too, however that wasn't an issue.

Overall I was very impressed with the track pack and the car. Highest G forces I attained sideways was 1 G. I shall push this farther next outing. Enjoy the pix!
Attached Thumbnails 2013 GT Track Pack mini review-image-4118990747.jpg   2013 GT Track Pack mini review-image-107055934.jpg   2013 GT Track Pack mini review-image-360731576.jpg   2013 GT Track Pack mini review-image-3417160812.jpg  
Old 8/8/12, 05:48 PM
I Have No Life

Nice review sky... I am impressed that you have the marbles to track it. I could never do that. Someday maybe. I am glad that the Stang held up well though.
Old 8/8/12, 05:54 PM

Nice! I've autox my TP car a few times and it definitely handles it well. The car would be A LOT better with a set of dampers and better tires though. Having never raced in aftermarket seats, I have to say that I love the recaros though. They're a million times better than my stock 07 STI seats
Old 8/9/12, 09:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
That last pic really shows off the curves of the 10+ hips! Looks like fun. I'm disappointed in the optional leather Recaros - what's the point of offering them in full leather?! They should have some alcantara down the center to hold you in place.
Old 8/9/12, 09:15 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I agree Patrick, I was very disappointed. Especially since I was so close to pulling the trigger on a recaro, PP Shelby. I have to agree with you, I love her curves!
Old 8/9/12, 12:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
That last pic really shows off the curves of the 10+ hips! Looks like fun. I'm disappointed in the optional leather Recaros - what's the point of offering them in full leather?! They should have some alcantara down the center to hold you in place.
This is why I opted for the cloth ones. No sliding around at all. I cant wait to get mine out there.

Quick Reply: 2013 GT Track Pack mini review