Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 Mustang vs ?

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/10, 09:29 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave07997S

If I get a 2011 Stang I would have the door panels covered in some sort of soft feel covering as the plastic, easy to scratch with your finger nail door panel is a joke. They put these nice inserts but the rest of the door panel is just carry over 2005+.
Have you been in a 2010+ Mustang?!? While its a similar shape, the door panels are NOT carryover 2005+, they are a brand new design ( remember it matches the shape of the new 2010 console ) with the soft inserts as you mentioned, but also the entire door panel is a much higher quality plastic that you cannot scratch with your fingernail ( you're confusing the door with the 2005 console top. )

BTW, you may want to think about re-upholstering either 2005+ or 2010+ doors- my friend with your utopian BMW 3 series is very disappointed because his elbow and forearm has totally worn away the vinyl covering over the plastic door panel underneath, especially where you'd have your elbow folded resting on the top of the door out the window. Not a good idea.
Old 1/1/10, 09:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stangsimon
Have you been in a 2010+ Mustang?!? While its a similar shape, the door panels are NOT carryover 2005+, they are a brand new design ( remember it matches the shape of the new 2010 console ) with the soft inserts as you mentioned, but also the entire door panel is a much higher quality plastic that you cannot scratch with your fingernail ( you're confusing the door with the 2005 console top. ).
Dave07997S, I agree with stangsimon's assessment. The door panel plastic is a noticably nicer plastic, differently shaped for the re-design. It was immediately obvious when I put my new '10's door panel up against that in my traded-in '07 GT. I was pleasantly surprised at the material difference.
Old 1/2/10, 01:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
The 2011 Mustang has seemed to really leave its pony car heritage in the dust. It is more of a luxury coupe competing against BMW, Audi ect. The only part of the heritage left is the SRA. Is it really competing against the Camaro and Challenger? This has seemed to develop into a luxury coupe. With its upgraded interior material, modern body style, quieter cabin with sound tube and even an engine that resembles a european dressed one. Will the rawness and joy of driving the '11 be the same as the past or will it feel like driving a BMW or any other comparable coupe?
Thoughts on this?
If you want a cheap interior get the standard model. You are right though the interior is simply stunning and leaves the Camaro and Challenger in the dust. The cool thing is it NOW will due it on the track as well. Also take a look at the 67-70 Mustang with particular emphasis on the latter years. I can spot more design cues than the 05-09 models had. Take a look at the new GT500 compared to the 07. Which looks more like the 68 Shelby which it was modeled after. The 2010 hands down.
Old 1/2/10, 03:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

2007 GT Premium MSRP: 26,875
2010 GT Premium MSRP: 30,995
-------------------------------
difference: $4120

I think there are two big reasons why the price of the Mustang went up: Camaro and Challenger. Ford realized that it was leaving money on the table for the GT models and increased the price accordingly. To their credit, they also refined the car quite a bit and left the base V6 model's price near 20 grand.

Let's remember once more that the 2011 V6 has 305HP, compared to 300 in the 2007 GT. If you need leather, the 2011 V6 premium will set you back $23,995. I'm guessing, since 2011 pricing has not been announced, that MSRP stays close to current for 2011. That gives us five more ponies, better interior, and 30MPG for $3k less than the 2007 GT Premium.

I see what you are saying about pricing per model, but when you look a dollar per horsepower, I think the 2011 will come out way ahead.

Originally Posted by Mach1mania
Great summary of what I would have said, Im in shock from what the Mustang Prices have come to.
In 07 I ordered a GT/CS with 3.55 gears and as you know it has a upgraded interior including heated seats. It was 30 grand then 27k with my A plan..
Now if you want a loaded GT that has just SOME of the items the GT/CS had, You are looking at almost 38k..
So Ford is really really killing itself by boosting these prices soo high . 8 grand in 3 years wayyy too much Ford WTF?
Old 1/2/10, 06:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont agree on those prices, No matter if you got them from Ford, TThis summer the V6s I seen were up to 32 grand on our lots.
Matter of Fact I will go today and snap pictures of the GTs sitting on the lots. There isnt a single GT on 4 of the local lots under 35k, That even had options near what a California Special has. Like I said a fully optioned GT/CS is 07 was 30,500
Now a GT with options similar are way over 36k

Last edited by UnrealFord; 1/2/10 at 06:26 AM.
Old 1/2/10, 10:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Their premium G/T at Brandon Ford are 33,000.00 with discounts down to 31,000.00and lower. A Gt in2005 Premium with a shaker1000 was 30,000.00.
Old 1/2/10, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Dave07997S, I agree with stangsimon's assessment. The door panel plastic is a noticably nicer plastic, differently shaped for the re-design. It was immediately obvious when I put my new '10's door panel up against that in my traded-in '07 GT. I was pleasantly surprised at the material difference.

Tony and Stansimon yes I have been in the 2010 stang..the door panel while it may be a tad nicer and I'm being generous here, it is still hard plastic with the molding flash on the ends. The 2010 interior is the reason I am in the Mustang camp again. My beef is if you went through all this trouble to redesign the interior why don't you use a soft feel material to cover up that plastic...how much more can it be? It is still a hard plastic, get into a Fusion and feel the soft material covering the door panel. Once again I'm not talking about the door panel inserts, but the actual huge hunk of plastic that covers the door innards.

dave
Old 1/2/10, 10:54 AM

Hi Guys, I have to agree with Dave on the door panels. It is the only area of the interior that i would change. Carl.
Old 1/2/10, 11:03 AM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Tony and Stansimon yes I have been in the 2010 stang..the door panel while it may be a tad nicer and I'm being generous here, it is still hard plastic with the molding flash on the ends. The 2010 interior is the reason I am in the Mustang camp again. My beef is if you went through all this trouble to redesign the interior why don't you use a soft feel material to cover up that plastic...how much more can it be? It is still a hard plastic, get into a Fusion and feel the soft material covering the door panel. Once again I'm not talking about the door panel inserts, but the actual huge hunk of plastic that covers the door innards.

dave
My mother's 2003 VW Jetta TDI had a wonderful, soft, well-constructed dash, but its door panels were hard plastic. She just got a 2010 BMW 335d Sport and, like the Jetta, its doors are constructed from hard plastic. Maybe it has something to do with the amount of abuse your doors receive as opposed to the dash, in addition to cost considerations, obviously.
Old 1/2/10, 11:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by boss429man
Their premium G/T at Brandon Ford are 33,000.00 with discounts down to 31,000.00and lower. A Gt in2005 Premium with a shaker1000 was 30,000.00.
Sounds like price is rising with inflation. Nothing abnormal there.
Old 1/2/10, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
My mother's 2003 VW Jetta TDI had a wonderful, soft, well-constructed dash, but its door panels were hard plastic. She just got a 2010 BMW 335d Sport and, like the Jetta, its doors are constructed from hard plastic. Maybe it has something to do with the amount of abuse your doors receive as opposed to the dash, in addition to cost considerations, obviously.
My 08 328i does not have hard plastic on the door panels. It is a synthetic material, not leather but it still is a soft feel product. I will take a pic for you guys later to show what I am talking about. I have to see a pic of your moms interior to show me what you are talking about. There was no change from 2006-2010 on the E9x series..they all use a soft material on the door panels. My airbag cover for the door panels is a synthetic leather (looks and feels darn real to me).

Dave

Last edited by Dave07997S; 1/2/10 at 11:43 AM.
Old 1/2/10, 11:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CJP63
Hi Guys, I have to agree with Dave on the door panels. It is the only area of the interior that i would change. Carl.
Thanks Carl..I agree. Its the only thing I would change on the interior as well...except maybe for a full leather option for those who want to pony up
Old 1/2/10, 02:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Tony and Stansimon yes I have been in the 2010 stang..the door panel while it may be a tad nicer and I'm being generous here, it is still hard plastic with the molding flash on the ends. The 2010 interior is the reason I am in the Mustang camp again. My beef is if you went through all this trouble to redesign the interior why don't you use a soft feel material to cover up that plastic...how much more can it be?
That is the $64.00 question! I don't know if the plastic material itself was part of the sound dampening solution (I would think it would NOT be), but I believe I recall seeing something about changes to support noise reduction and the door panels were mentioned (perhaps it is material behind the panels). Hard to say what the effect on cost would be, especially when looking at the economics of the total sum of changes, supplier costs, and durability parameters.

It is still a hard plastic, get into a Fusion and feel the soft material covering the door panel. Once again I'm not talking about the door panel inserts, but the actual huge hunk of plastic that covers the door innards.
I will do that to compare.

The material to me looks very similar in composition to my wife's BMW-engineered MINI Cooper door panels, so that is part of my comparison basis.

Last edited by Tony Alonso; 1/2/10 at 03:04 PM.
Old 1/2/10, 09:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
That is the $64.00 question! I don't know if the plastic material itself was part of the sound dampening solution (I would think it would NOT be), but I believe I recall seeing something about changes to support noise reduction and the door panels were mentioned (perhaps it is material behind the panels). Hard to say what the effect on cost would be, especially when looking at the economics of the total sum of changes, supplier costs, and durability parameters.

I will do that to compare.

The material to me looks very similar in composition to my wife's BMW-engineered MINI Cooper door panels, so that is part of my comparison basis.
Tony I'm not trying to make a big thing over this..I love the new Stang. My feeling is if the Taurus and Fusion can have this soft feel door panel why can't the Mustang? It really does add a quality feel to the car, perceived or not.

The 2010+ Mustang with electronics package is a sweet setup..I would yank out the stock seats and go with a set of these

This would save close to 40lbs and they look so good and the Cobra stitching is a nice touch. Had a set of Cobra seats in my 98 Mustang Cobra..loved them.

Dave

Last edited by Dave07997S; 1/2/10 at 09:14 PM.
Old 1/2/10, 09:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Tony I'm not trying to make a big thing over this..I love the new Stang. My feeling is if the Taurus and Fusion can have this soft feel door panel why can't the Mustang? It really does add a quality feel to the car, perceived or not.
Understand - likewise, I am just conversing about what potentially what might have been a reason that it was not done. And I definitely understand about the quality feel aspect. Perhaps it was choiceful so that the Mustang was not "too luxurious"?

The 2010+ Mustang with electronics package is a sweet setup..I would yank out the stock seats and go with a set of these

This would save close to 40lbs and they look so good and the Cobra stitching is a nice touch. Had a set of Cobra seats in my 98 Mustang Cobra..loved them.
Very nice!
Old 1/3/10, 12:02 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Mustang got really pricey really fast. Back in 2000 when I got my first Mustang V6 you could've pick one up for under $14,000. And I think I got more car for money than with my '08 GT.
Old 1/3/10, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
Mustang got really pricey really fast. Back in 2000 when I got my first Mustang V6 you could've pick one up for under $14,000. And I think I got more car for money than with my '08 GT.
Keep in mind...you have almost 10 years of inflation. You take $14k with an avg. of 3% inflation a year and it comes out to around $19k. Pretty much what you can buy a V6 Stang for today. Also keep in mind that a new V6 Mustang has more content...you can get Nav and a lot of other creature comforts you couldn't get in 2000 not to mention a much better put together car.

Dave
Old 1/3/10, 10:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
2007 GT Premium MSRP: 26,875
2010 GT Premium MSRP: 30,995
-------------------------------
difference: $4120

I think there are two big reasons why the price of the Mustang went up: Camaro and Challenger. Ford realized that it was leaving money on the table for the GT models and increased the price accordingly. To their credit, they also refined the car quite a bit and left the base V6 model's price near 20 grand.

Let's remember once more that the 2011 V6 has 305HP, compared to 300 in the 2007 GT. If you need leather, the 2011 V6 premium will set you back $23,995. I'm guessing, since 2011 pricing has not been announced, that MSRP stays close to current for 2011. That gives us five more ponies, better interior, and 30MPG for $3k less than the 2007 GT Premium.

I see what you are saying about pricing per model, but when you look a dollar per horsepower, I think the 2011 will come out way ahead.
Thats a wash after inflation...$26,875 at 3% a year comes in at over $29k but you also get Sync and the better motor for 2010.
Old 1/3/10, 02:58 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep in mind...you have almost 10 years of inflation. You take $14k with an avg. of 3% inflation a year and it comes out to around $19k. Pretty much what you can buy a V6 Stang for today. Also keep in mind that a new V6 Mustang has more content...you can get Nav and a lot of other creature comforts you couldn't get in 2000 not to mention a much better put together car.

Dave
Thank you Dave! finally someone looks at the whole picture
Old 1/3/10, 05:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Thank you Dave! finally someone looks at the whole picture

Whats funny is price out a fully loaded Focus..you are at $20k, a new Corolla is $22k fully loaded and so on. In the scheme of things you get a lot of car for $30k in a new Mustang. Where they will have an issue is the fact you can get into a Nissan 370Z for the same price range. Granted the Stang has back seats and more utility but there is competition in this price range and almost good enough isn't good enough anymore and Ford has realized this. I predict an IRS in the next few years and put the LRA out to pasture or the glue factory.

Dave

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang vs ?