Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 Mustang vs ?

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/10, 06:40 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Whats funny is price out a fully loaded Focus..you are at $20k, a new Corolla is $22k fully loaded and so on. In the scheme of things you get a lot of car for $30k in a new Mustang. Where they will have an issue is the fact you can get into a Nissan 370Z for the same price range. Granted the Stang has back seats and more utility but there is competition in this price range and almost good enough isn't good enough anymore and Ford has realized this. I predict an IRS in the next few years and put the LRA out to pasture or the glue factory.

Dave
Yeah I have heard IRS will be on the next complete redesign. I'm fine with the SRA but if it is designed right I will be all for an IRS also.
Old 1/4/10, 12:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
The 2011 Mustang has seemed to really leave its pony car heritage in the dust.
There's more to being a Mustang than drivetrane. It's supposed to be a mid-range great-value affordable sports car / muscle car for the masses. Seems to be doing alright as far as I can see. Neither Ford nor the Mustang can continue to stand if they don't offer what the consumer market wants to buy. Consumers want cars that perform, have style, and have the creature comforts...to an end that's been the root behind much of the Mustang's design objective from the beginning. So why is the 2010-11 so far off? Because it has good materials, workmanship, common features, and seeks to continue to be a good value sports car?

Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing
Yeah I have heard IRS will be on the next complete redesign. I'm fine with the SRA but if it is designed right I will be all for an IRS also.
Who knows, maybe if the Mustang gets an IRS it will actually go out on a track...Wouldn't that be a sight! No SRA equipped Mustang has ever performed on a track! That would be impossible!
Old 1/4/10, 03:10 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Arrow
Who knows, maybe if the Mustang gets an IRS it will actually go out on a track...Wouldn't that be a sight! No SRA equipped Mustang has ever performed on a track! That would be impossible!
As has been discussed time and time again, the beauty of an IRS is having all the benefits on a race track, while at the same time allowing for a smoother ride (lower sprung weight means you can reduce spring/damper rates and the IRS has no mid-corner-bump-shimmy for a smoother and more confidence-inspiring ride).

Also, a track is smooth and prepped for racing and the driver doesn't care what the car feels like, as long as it is fast. Not to mention, the racing series all work to make sure the cars are roughly equal in competition. It is more about the driver and team than the platform these days. That is why a TSX and a Mazda 6 can beat a BMW 3 in the SWC Series--when we all know RWD is better (as just one example).
Old 1/4/10, 02:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

If having a SRA is so ground-shatteringly bad, as so many of the SRA bashers seem to think, then there would be no SRA-equipped Mustangs out racing, and certainly not winning. Since that clearly isn't the case, maybe they should find something else to whine and cry about.
Old 1/4/10, 02:29 PM
eci
Banned

If having a SRA is so ground-shatteringly bad, as so many of the SRA bashers seem to think, then there would be no SRA-equipped Mustangs out racing, and certainly not winning. Since that clearly isn't the case, maybe they should find something else to whine and cry about.
People who want IRS want it for the street. IRS > SRA on the street. No way to argue against that. Racetracks are PERFECT roads. The streets are not.
Old 1/4/10, 03:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Did you read the post above you? IRS is not for the track! It is for the STREET where you have potholes, bumps, grooves and other real-world conditions where even the most tuned and race-ready SRA skips like crazy. Nobody here is saying its "ground-shatteringly" bad, if it was we wouldn't all own a S197! We're just saying Ford can do better. If they can put a 412HP 5.0 in a 3600 lb car, then they sure as heck can get a lightweight and cost effective IRS into our cars.

Last edited by jedikd; 1/4/10 at 03:48 PM.
Old 1/4/10, 03:48 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jedikd
...SRA skips like crazy...
bit of an exaggeration there mate...
Old 1/4/10, 03:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

The only reason SRA equipped Mustang's win races is because they run "class" series that handicap certain makes and models to make the competition equal. Compare the FR500C's allowed "mods" to a 997 Porsche. When all is said and done, Ford uses a SRA due to cost.
Old 1/4/10, 04:05 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
That the Mustang is becoming so capable on so many fronts, getting remarkably close to becoming a working man's M3, one of the world's paragons of driving and performance excellence, is reason to cheer, not despair.
Well said Rhumb
Old 1/4/10, 04:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Great posts here guys, keep it up.
Old 1/4/10, 04:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by max2000jp
The only reason SRA equipped Mustang's win races is because they run "class" series that handicap certain makes and models to make the competition equal. Compare the FR500C's allowed "mods" to a 997 Porsche. When all is said and done, Ford uses a SRA due to cost.
You nailed it...up until now the Mustang is allowed to run a 5.0L Cammer motor while the M3's and 997's are allowed a CAI. Also the 997's are running the 3.6L not the 3.8LS and forget about a GT3/RS. Also the SRA that is used in the Mustang has coil over rears along with some real trick shocks along with some other items. Also the tracks for the Koni Challenge really like high hp cars vs. more nimble cars. One thing though the Mustangs are at a greater weight than the Pcar and M3 but not by much.

Dave
Old 1/4/10, 04:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Perhaps, rather, the Mustang is returning to its pony car roots after a long muscle car foray. Remember that the original Mustang was somewhat of a rebuttal against the powerful but cloddish "muscle cars" of its day, what with tasteful good looks, relatively compact size, a refined and stylish interior, an emphasis on overall performance balance with its smallish 260/289 all at a good value and affordability.

The Mustang and the pony car image started off as a stylish, refined, well balanced good performer and really wasn't until they started stuffing powerful but heavy big blocks in the gen 2 Stang in '67 that it started really devolving, in part, into a muscle car, forfeiting some of its distinguishing pony car traits in the process. The Mustang since then has been all around the map in terms of identity, often inhabiting several personae at once, from insipid 4-6 banger secretary's special, small block pony car/road racer (Shelby 350, Boss 302), big block blunderbuss (428 Mach I, Boss 429) and various other flavors too (SVO, SVT, etc.). Perhaps it is this very flexibility that has allowed the Mustang to remain so competitive for so long and to pigeon hole it into just one category -- crude muscle car for example -- would be a mistake in both heritage and for its future viability.

Simple crudeness or other lack of capability, competence or refinement should not be what identifies the Mustang as a pony car as that is ends up being a rather perverse and detrimental identity -- should we also be putting back leaf springs, drum brakes and skinny bias ply tires lest it starts handling above its station? How about flat vinyl seats and tacky trim to keep it from getting too fancy for itself? "Rawness" should not be conflated with driving enjoyment -- my daddies '71 Ford pickup was as raw as it gets but certainly no joy to drive -- but rather, proper control feedback and communication. Is the contention that the Mustang is no longer a pony car because it doesn't suck enough in enough areas? Should the Mustang's capabilities somehow be constrained because it is getting too close to an M3's overall performance excellence (for half the price)?

Rather, keep it true to its pony car heritage by offering great overall balanced performance, sleek and refined good looks, great features and comfort all at an affordable price, just like the original pony car, the Mustang. I think the '11 should be complemented for keeping the pony car fresh, modern and competitive nearly a half century after its intro and not as some throwback retro-relic identified more by what it does badly than what it does well. That the Mustang is becoming so capable on so many fronts, getting remarkably close to becoming a working man's M3, one of the world's paragons of driving and performance excellence, is reason to cheer, not despair.
Didn't see this post initially..agreed 100%
Old 1/4/10, 05:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
bit of an exaggeration there mate...
I guess it depends where you live, LA freeways/roads, most definitely!
Old 1/5/10, 12:13 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by jedikd
then they sure as heck can get a lightweight and cost effective IRS into our cars.
Easy enough with the actual IRS components, but so not gonna happen when they cradle the IRS for unibody duty unless Ford can come up with a cradle cast or forged from magnesium or aluminum or alloy of the two (as these are the most likely canidates).

If Ford where to go IRS on the S-197 it would most likely add another 100 pounds or so when you include that cradle (which it would need, there are very few RWD unibody cars with big torque and big power engines that bolt the IRS directly to the unibody).
Old 1/5/10, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Easy enough with the actual IRS components, but so not gonna happen when they cradle the IRS for unibody duty unless Ford can come up with a cradle cast or forged from magnesium or aluminum or alloy of the two (as these are the most likely canidates).

If Ford where to go IRS on the S-197 it would most likely add another 100 pounds or so when you include that cradle (which it would need, there are very few RWD unibody cars with big torque and big power engines that bolt the IRS directly to the unibody).
Bob this car was designed from the get go for the IRS..it was a late development to put the SRA back in the car. Ford quoted the actual weight gain to be in the 80lb range but that has been disputed that it wouldn't have been that heavy. Also it would be unsprung mass and it would give the car a better weight distribution.

Dave
Old 1/7/10, 02:08 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

I was just commenting on Jedi's "Ford can design a lightweight IRS" 80 pounds is pretty good considering I was using the Camaro's IRS as a reference. GM's IRS sans cradle isn't all that heavy compared to an SRA, but add the structure needed to carry it and another 100 pounds pops right up.

Now this is comparing the F5's IRS to the 4th gen's 10 bolt (7.5 ??????) with 28 spline axles. Ford's IRS relative to the larger 8.8 with 31 spline axles might look better simply because the 8.8 in the S-197 is alot stouter compared to the GM 7.5 (pretty sure of that).

Ultimately I have other more practical reasons for liking an SRA in the Mustang along with a mac strut front end all of which goes back to cost of ownership due to maintenece. I've personally never have had to get an alignment on any Mustang I've owned. The simple and rugged nature of the chassis not only saved me the small expense of an alignment, but also the big expense on tires. Something I see with far more frequency on SLA and IRS or SLA/IRS cars.

Last edited by bob; 1/7/10 at 02:16 AM.
Old 1/7/10, 11:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bob
I was just commenting on Jedi's "Ford can design a lightweight IRS" 80 pounds is pretty good considering I was using the Camaro's IRS as a reference. GM's IRS sans cradle isn't all that heavy compared to an SRA, but add the structure needed to carry it and another 100 pounds pops right up.
I am interested to hear why you think the IRS would add 180#, when the last IRS Ford used (to shoehorn into an SRA chassis) only added 80# total. And, that chassis was never supposed to have an IRS--opposed to the S197 which, if we are to believe the rumors, was originally designed for an IRS.

source: http://www.thecarconnection.com/full...d_mustang_1999
"The IRS assembly weighs about 80 pounds more than the solid-axle setup on the Mustang GT, but it allows a 125-lb reduction in unsprung suspension weight."
"It’s amazing, though, how aggressively you can drive the Cobra now. You can throw it very hard into corners — even bumpy ones — without worry that the rear will slide out unpredictably."

Really, I think there is a lot of misinformation and fear of change that keeps the SRA alive, so let's try to stick to sourceable information as much as possible.

Personally, I would love to see what Ford can do if they put their minds to it with the notion that all lines would have the IRS (to keep production prices lower), yet still keep the SRA for the Cobra Jet so draggers could swap it back in if they wanted. Everyone wins (including Ford). The rare cost of an alignment would surely be worth the better ride and performance for me!
Old 1/8/10, 10:47 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Rampant
I am interested to hear why you think the IRS would add 180#, when the last IRS Ford used (to shoehorn into an SRA chassis) only added 80# total. And, that chassis was never supposed to have an IRS--opposed to the S197 which, if we are to believe the rumors, was originally designed for an IRS.!
I didn't or didn't mean to say it would add 100 pounds to the 80 pound IRS just around a net 100 pounds or so for the whole deal compared to an SRA car and most of that weight would be coming from the cradle designed to mount the IRS to the body.

Furthermore I suspect that Ford didn't really have some lightweight IRS to shoehorn in there, rather its because the 8.8 is rather beefy and the net gain with the IRS was only 80 pounds (had Ford used the 7.5 across the board for SRA the figure would have been higher closer to the 100 pounds I've been talking about).
Old 1/17/10, 02:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Keep in mind...you have almost 10 years of inflation. You take $14k with an avg. of 3% inflation a year and it comes out to around $19k. Pretty much what you can buy a V6 Stang for today. Also keep in mind that a new V6 Mustang has more content...you can get Nav and a lot of other creature comforts you couldn't get in 2000 not to mention a much better put together car.

Dave

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Thank you Dave! finally someone looks at the whole picture
Who here on this forum has been getting a 3% raise in pay every year? Hasent been me/ So if you say its normal with inflation, thats one thing, but peoples pay hasent been rising at 3% yearly, so that fact remains the same .Prices rising wayy too fast for the middle class

Last edited by UnrealFord; 1/17/10 at 02:41 PM.
Old 1/17/10, 02:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mach1mania
Who here on this forum has been getting a 3% raise in pay every year? Hasent been me/ So if you say its normal with inflation, thats one thing, but peoples pay hasent been rising at 3% yearly, so that fact remains the same .Prices rising wayy too fast for the middle class
You make a good point about income levels, but people expect more and more out of their cars every decade and are willing to pay for it. We may complain about the price but we still want our stuff. When I was a little kid a car with power windows, power door locks, cruise control, and air conditioning was considered a luxury car. If you tried selling a Mustang or even a Ranger pickup today without those things you would have a hard time moving it. As well as new cars hold up, a person who cannot afford brand new can buy a well maintained five (even ten!) year old car that still looks and drives like brand new.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang vs ?