Old 3/15/11, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmatero
This TSB arrived this morning:

FORD:
2011-2012 Mustang

ISSUE
Some 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles equipped with a MT82 6-speed manual transmission may exhibit increased shift efforts in cold ambient temperatures. This is usually most noticeable in 1st and 2nd gears but may also be noticed in 3rd through 6th gears. The increased shift effort may be the result of the increased viscosity of the transmission fluid in cold weather.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
Replace the MotorcraftFull Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid with 2.6L (2.7 qt) of Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 308-03A for the transmission fluid draining and filling procedure.

This fluid is suitable for use in all ambient temperatures and seasons, and the Scheduled Maintenance guidelines in the Owner Guide can continue to be followed.

The use of friction modifiers or other fluid additives is not recommended since although they may provide some immediate improvement in cold shift effort, they are likely to result in long term degradation of the synchronizers
Will the dealer do this for me next time I go for an oil change or do I have to complain first before they do anything?
Old 3/15/11, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whaaaat??? That's bs, I doubt the fluid is the fix for this.
Old 3/15/11, 12:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

i seriously doubt its going to fix me not being able to put the car in 1st gear when cold..

maybe shifting effort..into 2nd and hopefully no grinding/clunking into 3rd

Last edited by pony racer; 3/15/11 at 12:42 PM.
Old 3/15/11, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

That TSB stinks. I will keep my eye on some good aftermarket clutches then, just in case.
Old 3/15/11, 01:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well, i'm a bit dissapointed about Ford's TSB fix for our grinding 6 speed manual cars , my car only sees warm wheather and it still does it nonetheless, so i don't see how this fluid change will make it shift smoother.
Maybe another TSB will follow this one....
Old 3/15/11, 01:26 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does this mean we can request to have this service done? I'll get it done when I get my oil changed.

At the very least it's prolonging the time until my next tranny fluid change
Old 3/15/11, 01:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Does this mean we can request to have this service done? I'll get it done when I get my oil changed.

At the very least it's prolonging the time until my next tranny fluid change
Actually not really Jason, you will have to go through a service advisor and tell him that you're experiencing rough shifting , he'll then have to go out for a test drive to confirm if the problem really exists, only then will he use the TSB and follow Ford's procedures for changing the fluid and hopefully fixing the problem. That's how it works at most dealerships around here anyways.

Just visited my dealership yesterday for my 2009 Escape which had a squeak in the rear suspension, they had issued a TSB for this perticular problem and how to fix it.

TSB is different than a recall.

Last edited by montreal ponies; 3/15/11 at 01:45 PM.
Old 3/15/11, 02:10 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As a reminder, the 05+ TR3650 5 spd's had shifting issues too where they learned to not fill the tranny to the top, but 1/2" below the top. So it was a fluid issue and this resolved it for many if not most. But some 08/09 owners complained of difficulty with 2nd to 3rd shifts and another TSB followed where those synchro's were problematic and replaced.

I think Ford is being prudent with their 1 step, 2 step, 3 step, etc., approach to fixes. They've already addressed the flywheel bolts backing out and the clutch pedal issue with separate fixes.

In the end they may find there will be ongoing issues with some cars - not all - that will have to be addressed in addition to this fluid change. (Although I still ponder the pilot bearing as I have posted before...)

Thankfully mine has been flawless but that was after the fluid level problem was identified and corrected at the factory.

As for putting it into 1st gear when cold in winter, that is not unusual. My F150 sits outside and often I have to let the clutch out once sometimes twice (tranny in neutral) to get the shafts spinning so I can get it into gear. I never try to just cram it in. And shifting into other gears is slow and stiff until it gets warmed up. (In fact I double clutch for downshifts [some call it rev match] with all my manny tranny's because of learning this years ago. Its just habit now.) After 253,000 miles there have been no transmission problems so its not a defect - its thick fluid. That's what thick fluid does in cold weather. Same is true for my old Jimmy cattle truck.

So hang in there!

Last edited by cdynaco; 3/15/11 at 02:17 PM.
Old 3/15/11, 04:37 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Actually not really Jason, you will have to go through a service advisor and tell him that you're experiencing rough shifting , he'll then have to go out for a test drive to confirm if the problem really exists, only then will he use the TSB and follow Ford's procedures for changing the fluid and hopefully fixing the problem. That's how it works at most dealerships around here anyways.

Just visited my dealership yesterday for my 2009 Escape which had a squeak in the rear suspension, they had issued a TSB for this perticular problem and how to fix it.

TSB is different than a recall.
I already took mine in two weeks ago, so at least it's on record. The only problem now will be getting them to replicate the issue...

Last edited by stangfoeva; 3/15/11 at 04:45 PM.
Old 3/18/11, 05:34 PM

went to get my 1000 mile oil change today.and complained to the manager about my visit last week whan they could not fond anything wrong with clutch.he said something about the tsb and looked up my vin and told me the trans oil change will help.
so i had it done today both motor and trans oil free of charge.the trans is not 100% better but it is alot less notchy shifting so far.so i will recomend having it changed.i dont think it will fix the cars with the major clutch issues.but it did help mine.
Old 3/18/11, 05:42 PM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay so check this out.

Brought my car in for oil service yesterday. Complained about the hard 1-2 and 2-3 shifts that I am intermittently experiencing. Service advisor asked me if it only happened in cold weather. I told him that yes sometimes it happens when it's cold, but sometimes it doesn't - and in fact it happens when it's warm - so I didn't think it was a temperature-related issue. He said he wasn't aware of any issues yet, but I said I've seen several 2011 owners complain on Mustang forums regarding the issue. I did not mention that I heard about a TSB since montreal ponies' mentioned they have to investigate the issue anyway.

When i picked up the car, advisor told me that the technician DID replicate the problem. They found a TSB issued for it regarding changing to a double clutch transmission fluid, and performed the service.

Now I'm as skeptical as everybody else above... but... so far it seems to have made a HUGE difference!

Keep in mind that I've only driven back from dealership to work yesterday + work to home yesterday + home to work today + to/from mall for lunch today. However all 5 of those trips have been much much smoother shifting. Not what I would call "smooth as butter" or perfect, but so far it it is a world of difference!
Old 3/18/11, 08:45 PM
Cobra Member

mine goes in tomorrow morning to get this TSB done
Old 3/18/11, 08:58 PM

glad some fellow Canadians were able to get their dealerships to do it as well. Planing to take mine out of storage in a week or two and will attempt them to look at it as well.
Old 3/18/11, 09:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by SD6
Okay so check this out.

Brought my car in for oil service yesterday. Complained about the hard 1-2 and 2-3 shifts that I am intermittently experiencing. Service advisor asked me if it only happened in cold weather. I told him that yes sometimes it happens when it's cold, but sometimes it doesn't - and in fact it happens when it's warm - so I didn't think it was a temperature-related issue. He said he wasn't aware of any issues yet, but I said I've seen several 2011 owners complain on Mustang forums regarding the issue. I did not mention that I heard about a TSB since montreal ponies' mentioned they have to investigate the issue anyway.

When i picked up the car, advisor told me that the technician DID replicate the problem. They found a TSB issued for it regarding changing to a double clutch transmission fluid, and performed the service.

Now I'm as skeptical as everybody else above... but... so far it seems to have made a HUGE difference!

Keep in mind that I've only driven back from dealership to work yesterday + work to home yesterday + home to work today + to/from mall for lunch today. However all 5 of those trips have been much much smoother shifting. Not what I would call "smooth as butter" or perfect, but so far it it is a world of difference!
That is good news, i'll have mine done as soon as i have spare time. It looks promising for those of us with just a little grinding issues. As for the flywheel bolts baking out, i hope they use liberal amount of red locktite on mine.
Old 3/18/11, 09:44 PM

Still doesn't explain why I sometimes get blocked out of 4th when downshifting from 5th.

Or the random grinds going into 5th.

For those that have had this "fix," how does it compare to off-the-dealership feel? Mine was as smooth as baby butt cheeks when I first got it.
Old 3/19/11, 09:04 AM
Bullitt Member

I dropped my car off at Ford today for the notchy shifting, trouble getting it into 1st and 2nd, clunking into 3rd. Will update when I get it back (hopefully) this Monday.
Old 3/19/11, 01:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Ivan 5.0
I dropped my car off at Ford today for the notchy shifting, trouble getting it into 1st and 2nd, clunking into 3rd. Will update when I get it back (hopefully) this Monday.

I think we should sticky this thread......
Old 3/19/11, 06:19 PM
Cobra Member

done...smooth as butta
Old 3/19/11, 07:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by montreal ponies
I think we should sticky this thread......

In the "Warranty & Service Issue" forum?
Old 3/20/11, 12:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Had mine done. Feels like a totally new transmission

Quick Reply: 2011 Clutch and Shifting Fix Coming