Old 3/10/11, 04:51 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bout 7400 here
Old 3/10/11, 04:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
I noticed a tough 1-2 and 2-3 shift, as well as really tough shifting in cold. Are you saying I should contact Ford with these issues?
Same here, if its cold my two to three shift will grind like an underage girl at a club.
Old 3/10/11, 05:49 PM
V6 Member

Good information, thanks.
Old 3/10/11, 08:26 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Itravelalot
Does anyone know if they got it fixed in time for the 2012s, or will some of them be affected? Can anyone check to see if the assemblies are listed as being different?
There is a running change for both V6 and V8 pressure plates and clutch disks as of Feb 3, 2011.
The pilot bearing and flywheels are not affected.

Last edited by PTRocks; 3/10/11 at 08:28 PM.
Old 3/10/11, 08:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jokerstars
Same here, if its cold my two to three shift will grind like an underage girl at a club.
WOW, well said!
Old 3/10/11, 08:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

If there's a TSB Ford should fix this problem for free, right?
Old 3/10/11, 08:59 PM

Excellent info, hard to believe this escaped Ford during testing.
Is this the Chinese (or wherever) built clutch?
We are outsourcing our own destruction
Old 3/10/11, 09:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
If there's a TSB Ford should fix this problem for free, right?
If your car exhibits the symptoms and it is under warranty, yes.
Old 3/10/11, 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
If your car exhibits the symptoms and it is under warranty, yes.
Ford said they couldn't replicate my 2-3 grind (usually during cold weather or if the engine hasn't been on long) I think because it got warm out the day I dropped it off with them.

Think generally notchiness will be enough for a fix?
Old 3/10/11, 09:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
There is a running change for both V6 and V8 pressure plates and clutch disks as of Feb 3, 2011.
The pilot bearing and flywheels are not affected.
For once, I am a little happy for the wait then. This will be nice not having to deal with rough shifting. Honestly though, all the other manual transmission cars were so slow and old, even a rough shifting Mustang would probably be a dream compared to them anyway.
Old 3/10/11, 09:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ford said they couldn't replicate my 2-3 grind (usually during cold weather or if the engine hasn't been on long) I think because it got warm out the day I dropped it off with them.

Cold weather notchiness is one thing...more consistent trouble over a broad temperature range is likely to be another. When I have gone in for issues with intermittent symptoms, I have either driven with the service advisor or even the service technician that was going to work on the car to ensure they understood every nuance.
Old 3/10/11, 09:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Cold weather notchiness is one thing...more consistent trouble over a broad temperature range is likely to be another. When I have gone in for issues with intermittent symptoms, I have either driven with the service advisor or even the service technician that was going to work on the car to ensure they understood every nuance.
I know, but in cold weather or cold-engine 2-3 LITERALLY grinds like I am holding down the clutch halfway. It's jarring, loud, and vicious. That can't be normal.

Last edited by jokerstars; 3/10/11 at 10:04 PM.
Old 3/10/11, 10:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I know, but in cold weather or cold-engine 2-3 LITERALLY grinds like I am not holding down the clutch halfway. It's jarring, loud, and vicious. That can't be normal.
Hopefully you will be able to demonstrate that upon your next visit. And I hope all of the 2011 owners who have experienced the shifting concerns find satisfaction in the updated parts.
Old 3/10/11, 10:11 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Drop it off the evening before, and have them drive it the next morning after it sits all night.
Old 3/11/11, 07:01 AM
Bullitt Member

my clutch problem was that the clutch pedal stayed to the ground during a high rev. Only happened that one time but after this happened my clutch now feels soft. Took it to the dealer and they found nothing wrong. I was told the clutch warranty expires after you pass 12k, I have 10k so i'm going to another dealer this morning hoping he will be able to help me find a fix.
Old 3/11/11, 07:39 AM

I have the notchy shifts going on in my stang but also have the horrible whine, is the whine part of the clutch issue to???
Old 3/11/11, 07:42 AM
Bullitt Member

OK off topic for a second here . I have been away from V8 stick cars for a while so my newest type clutch disk was a 6 puck ceramic job in my RSX and it was like a light switch on or off.. Anyway what is the advantage of a twin disk clutch for a near stock car such as a GT with a CAI and tune ? Granted the disk material may be different and it can handle more HP but does it allow you to shift better or what ?
now back on topic i am wondering if along with the Pilot bearing issue if the disk material is too grabby or the pressure plate is not releasing all the way due to bad fingers or something else .. will be interesting to know ..
ANd i guess i will need to put it all back to stock before i take it in to be serviced (Barton shifter and bracket)?
Old 3/11/11, 08:52 AM
GT Member

Maybe you guys can help me, I am starting to wonder if my GT is affected by this.

This GT was my first stick shift, so I dont really have any experience with other cars to compare against.

Ever since I got the car back in July, the shifting has been very notchy, but I have never had it grind or refuse to go into gear. Sometimes its a bit rough to shift, but it is always very notchy regardless of the temperature. Should a stick shift not have a notchy, crunchy feel to it? Again I have no other stick shift experience to compare to...I think I just became accustomed to the feel of mine and didnt think twice about it.

My GT is pushing 20,000 miles now.
Old 3/11/11, 02:37 PM

Notchy? Normal. Crunchy? NOT NORMAL.

PS: 20k Miles? ****!
Old 3/11/11, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jcint
my clutch problem was that the clutch pedal stayed to the ground during a high rev. Only happened that one time but after this happened my clutch now feels soft. Took it to the dealer and they found nothing wrong. I was told the clutch warranty expires after you pass 12k, I have 10k so i'm going to another dealer this morning hoping he will be able to help me find a fix.
I recently took mine in and of course the tech couldn't find anything wrong.

If they tell me my clutch warrenty is up because i just passed 12k i am going to go ape ****.

Quick Reply: 2011 Clutch and Shifting Fix Coming