Sponsored By:

2011 Cleaning tips

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/10, 08:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
Love me some PC7424XP action!

And yes, Autopia.org is a fantastic site for learning the basics. Even if you just learn to wash your car better, it's served its purpose.
Yep this is how I learned plus watching my detailer for 2 yrs. Now I do it all on my own
Old 8/30/10, 11:42 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedWings
You can use a quick detailer after you wash that 'may' increase the gloss and slickness of the paint. I say 'may' because there are a lot of factors that come into play (what wax is on there, how hard the rinse water was, what shampoo you used, etc..).

Another option, that I use, is using a product like Duragloss Aquawax after you wash. Sprays on and wipes off like a quick detailer but provides protection and feels very slick.

Also, the products you use for washing/polishing/waxing may leave your car very glossy if washed regularly with a good shampoo. No need for extra detailers or wax. Really only one way to find out. After you have done a full detail, don't use a follow-up product after you wash. Then see how you feel about the look/feel of the paint. If you are satisfied, you should be fine. If not, look into some products people recommend.

I think that is a good start. Deep Crystal System Polish is not an all in one so you'll need to follow up with at least a wax.

Also, when it comes to tire sprays, some will leave your tires really wet looking while others will leave them more matte/new looking. So you may want to decide which look you want before buying a product.
Do you think I should try a different polish then? Can you recommend a good all in one?

Yah I need to think about the tire finish product too. Maybe I would like one that leaves it matte looking. (Any recommendations?)

Also, you guys who mentioned a porter cable, is that for polishing and waxing? Are they easy to use? -- Can I screw something up with it?

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 8/30/10, 12:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by emilram11
Do you think I should try a different polish then? Can you recommend a good all in one?
I don't see a reason to try a different polish at this point. Unless that polish does not do what you want it to. I think the products you posted are a good base to start with and get used to the process.

EDIT: I will recommend Duragloss 101 or 105, Zaino All in one, or Klasse All in one.

Yah I need to think about the tire finish product too. Maybe I would like one that leaves it matte looking. (Any recommendations?)
Duragloss 253 or Zaino Z16 are ones i've read about and i'm going to try that are more matte. For over the counter stuff I used to use the High Endurance Gel. It didn't sling off the tires and left a nice sheen to it.

Also, you guys who mentioned a porter cable, is that for polishing and waxing? Are they easy to use? -- Can I screw something up with it?

Thanks for all the help everyone.
The Porter Cable 7424xp (PC) is used for polishing mostly but can certainly be used for waxing/buffing. Yes it is an easy product to use and it would be really hard to mess your paint up with one of them. Just search youtube for videos of the PC and you'll see a million results.

It is an investment though because they aren't 'cheap'. You can get a good kit for a few hundred bucks (PC, Pads, Polishes/sealers, etc...). But I suggest getting educated on the detailing process before jumping in and grabbing a PC. I went a long time without a PC and doing everything by hand. My paint still looked new (to most people). I ended up getting a PC because I finally needed to do some correction that was beyond something I could do by hand (fine swirling).

So i'd probably stick to just getting hand-use products for now to get the process down and figure out what you like.

If your car is new, you can keep it looking that way with the products you posted, a good washing technique, and just taking care of your car.

Last edited by RedWings; 8/30/10 at 12:18 PM.
Old 8/30/10, 12:53 PM
GT Member

I don't see a reason to try a different polish at this point. Unless that polish does not do what you want it to. I think the products you posted are a good base to start with and get used to the process.

EDIT: I will recommend Duragloss 101 or 105, Zaino All in one, or Klasse All in one.

Duragloss 253 or Zaino Z16 are ones i've read about and i'm going to try that are more matte. For over the counter stuff I used to use the High Endurance Gel. It didn't sling off the tires and left a nice sheen to it.

The Porter Cable 7424xp (PC) is used for polishing mostly but can certainly be used for waxing/buffing. Yes it is an easy product to use and it would be really hard to mess your paint up with one of them. Just search youtube for videos of the PC and you'll see a million results.

It is an investment though because they aren't 'cheap'. You can get a good kit for a few hundred bucks (PC, Pads, Polishes/sealers, etc...). But I suggest getting educated on the detailing process before jumping in and grabbing a PC. I went a long time without a PC and doing everything by hand. My paint still looked new (to most people). I ended up getting a PC because I finally needed to do some correction that was beyond something I could do by hand (fine swirling).

So i'd probably stick to just getting hand-use products for now to get the process down and figure out what you like.

If your car is new, you can keep it looking that way with the products you posted, a good washing technique, and just taking care of your car.

Ok great advice. -- I might try that Klasse product. Read some reviews on it and it seems pretty popular. Some of the reviews make it sound like they don't wax after it though. You'd probably still need a sealer and or wax right?

I'll wait on the porter cable. Maybe once I get the hang of some of these things I'll look back into it.

Thanks so much!
Old 8/30/10, 01:16 PM
GT Member

Ok thanks guys! That's what I was hoping. A couple more questions...

What's a good interim exterior cleaning product/step to perform when you want to maintain your cleanliness but don't want to wax. -- You'd wash at least then is there something to bring the shine back that doesn't compromise the wax? Or do you stick with wash, polish, wax as the basics?

I'm thinking the following products so far for exterior. I'm thinking I'll try Meguiar's first since most people seem to like their stuff (but I'm open to substitution suggestions):

Meguiar's NXT Generation Car Wash
Meguiar's Clay bar kit
Meguiar's Direct Deep Crystal System Polish (not quite sure if this is considered an all in one)
Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax
Meguiar's NXT Generation Insane Shine Tire spray
Using microfiber towels

How's that look for a start? I was given a box of Turtle Wax Ice Paste Polish I could try first for my polish. Also, I did pick the synthetic product line. Anyone have advice on synthetics versus non-synthetics?
This is essentially what I use. I also use the Meguiar's MF towels. They're pretty good and larger than the ones I could buy locally.

I haven't used the polish yet, but I have used some the scratch and swirl remover from Meguiar's. Top notch stuff in my opinion.

I think the NXT Tech Wax lasts quite a while, months. I put another Meguiar's wax on top of it every six weeks or so. In between I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer. I like that stuff a lot. Actually, I need to buy some more now that I think of it. . .
Old 8/30/10, 01:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok great advice. -- I might try that Klasse product. Read some reviews on it and it seems pretty popular. Some of the reviews make it sound like they don't wax after it though. You'd probably still need a sealer and or wax right?

I'll wait on the porter cable. Maybe once I get the hang of some of these things I'll look back into it.

Thanks so much!
I too have read about not topping Klasse with anything....but I didn't like that idea. So I always topped it with a wax. I used the Klasse + Wax combo for a few years. Clay, Klasse, and Wax every six months. Usually applied wax once a month between full details. Washed regularly and it looked good.
Old 8/30/10, 01:45 PM
GTR Member

I too have read about not topping Klasse with anything....but I didn't like that idea. So I always topped it with a wax. I used the Klasse + Wax combo for a few years. Clay, Klasse, and Wax every six months. Usually applied wax once a month between full details. Washed regularly and it looked good.
Same here. I did Klasse AIO, SG, then followed up with Gold Class or Natty's Blue to top it off.
Old 8/30/10, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Same here. I did Klasse AIO, SG, then followed up with Gold Class or Natty's Blue to top it off.
I used Natty's Blue also on top of it. That stuff was and easy to use since I had a white car.

The SG I didn't use because I was scared of streaking I kept reading about.
Old 8/30/10, 02:03 PM
GTR Member

I used Natty's Blue also on top of it. That stuff was and easy to use since I had a white car.

The SG I didn't use because I was scared of streaking I kept reading about.
I've never had it streak, but it's a real PITA to take off if you put it on too thick.
Old 8/30/10, 04:49 PM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Steven
I think the NXT Tech Wax lasts quite a while, months. I put another Meguiar's wax on top of it every six weeks or so. In between I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer. I like that stuff a lot. Actually, I need to buy some more now that I think of it. . .
+1 for NXT and Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer.

Love the NXT Tech Wax 2.0. Easy to apply and lasts a long time.
And the Quik Detailer is great after a quick wash to make the car looking like it was just waxed.

Interior plastics/vinyl: Aerospace 303 (this stuff is great). No greasy leftover feel. Not too shiny. Leaves the dash/plastics looking new. Plus it has UV protection.
Thanks for the tip on this one! I used to use Meguiars or Mothers for interior but tried out the Aerospace 303 this weekend on your recommendation.
REALLLLLY like it. Easier to "final wipe" it dry, and the UV protection will be bonus for me since I have a 'vert!
Old 8/30/10, 09:02 PM
GT Member

Ok here is where i'm at now. You've convinced me on a couple products! Please critique and let me know if I'm missing anything. You guys rock!

Wash: Meguiar's NXT Generation Car Wash
Clay: Meguiar's Clay bar kit
Polish: Klasse all in one polish
Wax: Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax

Interim/quick cleaner: Meguiar's Quick Detailer
Bugs: Stoner Xenit
Plastics, Vinyl: Aerospace 303

My regimen will be: Meguiar's NXT Wash, Clay, Klasse AIO, Meguiar's NXT wax, tires, interior

Interimly: Wash, Mequiar's quick detailing spray, tires, interior

Would Aerospace 303 be good for tires and the rear bumper? Is Klasse AIO an easy polish to work with. I'm a beginner so wouldn't mind an easier one if it will be tricky.

Also, anyone try the microfiber towels from Costco? They sell a big pack there. I didn't catch the brand name.
Old 8/31/10, 05:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ok here is where i'm at now. You've convinced me on a couple products! Please critique and let me know if I'm missing anything. You guys rock!

Wash: Meguiar's NXT Generation Car Wash
Clay: Meguiar's Clay bar kit
Polish: Klasse all in one polish
Wax: Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax

Interim/quick cleaner: Meguiar's Quick Detailer
Bugs: Stoner Xenit
Plastics, Vinyl: Aerospace 303

My regimen will be: Meguiar's NXT Wash, Clay, Klasse AIO, Meguiar's NXT wax, tires, interior

Interimly: Wash, Mequiar's quick detailing spray, tires, interior
This looks like a good start to me

Would Aerospace 303 be good for tires and the rear bumper? Is Klasse AIO an easy polish to work with. I'm a beginner so wouldn't mind an easier one if it will be tricky.
I just started using 303 on my tires, so i'm still undecided how I feel about it for that. It doesn't seem to last as long as other tire products i've used, but for a short term product it looks good. I may try Duragloss 253 or Zaino Z16 before making up my mind.

I would use 303 on my rear valance w/o worry.

Also, anyone try the microfiber towels from Costco? They sell a big pack there. I didn't catch the brand name.
I haven't used any from costco. All of my towels i've bought online and they are all different brands. The ones that have stood up and stayed in great shape I keep for detailing. The ones that seem to have flattened out and blah, I use those for cleaning under the hood, door jambs, and other dirty parts like applying a product to the tires.

If the costco microfiber towels have those little white made in china tags on them, make sure you remove these because these can cause marring. You get what you pay for.

These are a good route to go for microfiber towels: http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-X2020...3253809&sr=8-1
Old 8/31/10, 05:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Also, I didn't see any drying towels on your list. Look into microfiber waffle weave towels or some of these (these are my current go to drying towels): http://www.chemicalguys.com/MONSTER_...ic_1100_03.htm

For wash mitts these hold up really well. Just make sure you rinse it / wash it after use and hang to air dry. If you throw it in the dryer or leave it balled up in your bucket, it will fall apart:

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/85-340.html

Last edited by RedWings; 8/31/10 at 05:57 AM.
Old 8/31/10, 06:34 AM
GT Member

This looks like a good start to me

I just started using 303 on my tires, so i'm still undecided how I feel about it for that. It doesn't seem to last as long as other tire products i've used, but for a short term product it looks good. I may try Duragloss 253 or Zaino Z16 before making up my mind.

I would use 303 on my rear valance w/o worry.

I haven't used any from costco. All of my towels i've bought online and they are all different brands. The ones that have stood up and stayed in great shape I keep for detailing. The ones that seem to have flattened out and blah, I use those for cleaning under the hood, door jambs, and other dirty parts like applying a product to the tires.

If the costco microfiber towels have those little white made in china tags on them, make sure you remove these because these can cause marring. You get what you pay for.

These are a good route to go for microfiber towels: http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-X2020...3253809&sr=8-1
Yes to the Meguiars towels. They're the ones I use and I find them 1000% better than the ones I bought from the local auto store. They're larger, thicker, and seem to be more absorbent.

I'm going to have to look into the 303. I've been looking for a good dark plastic cleaner/detailer.
Old 8/31/10, 09:26 AM
Cobra R Member

303 works great on the vehicle cladding. I wouldn't use it on the tires though, as it won't give them much sheen. Meguiar's has several tire products from low to high shine.

I buy the Costco microfiber towels and think they are good. However, I don't use them on the paint. I use my super plush Cobra towels which are less likely to scratch. The Costco ones work great for applying 303 to the interior and exterior of your car. They also work well on wheels and tires. They are so cheap that if you get any towels really dirty, beyond worth cleaning, just trash them.

Last edited by Adam; 8/31/10 at 09:29 AM.
Old 8/31/10, 09:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Another product recommendation is Blue Magic Metal Polish for cleaning exhaust tips

http://www.amazon.com/BlueMagic-400-...?tag=amaz98-20
Old 8/31/10, 10:02 AM
GTR Member

Another product recommendation is Blue Magic Metal Polish for cleaning exhaust tips

http://www.amazon.com/BlueMagic-400-...?tag=amaz98-20
Some other things you can try are 0000 steel wool and glass cleaner, or P21S polishing soap.
Old 8/31/10, 08:34 PM
GT Member

Thanks for all your help guys. I'm going to head out to autozone this week and try to pick up as many of the products as possible. I'm excited to take my car care to a new level.
Old 9/1/10, 09:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Will these tips also work on the other year cars?
Old 9/1/10, 09:44 AM
Cobra Member

the best microfiber towels I have bought are from www.pakshak.com

Quick Reply: 2011 Cleaning tips