PRODUCTS
Wash: Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine
Wax / Sealant: BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection
Quick Detailer: BLACKFIRE Deep Gloss Spray
Tires: Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel
Leather Cleaning: Damp Microfiber Towel
Plastic/Rubber/Vinyl/Leather Protectant: 303 Aerospace Protectant
Leather Conditioner: Pinnacle Leather Conditioner
Clear Plastic (Headlights/Fogs/Tail Lights/Side Markers): Plexus Plastic Cleaner/Protectant/Polish
Windows: Stoner Invisible Glass
Bug/Tar: Stoner XENIT

TOWELS / APPLICATORS
Wash / QD: Cobra Super Plush Deluxe 600 Towel
Drying Body Panels: Cobra Guzzler HD Waffle Weave Towel
Drying Windows: Cobra Waffle Weave Glass Towel
Applying Wax / Sealant: Pinnacle Foam Wax Applicator
Removing Wax / Sealant: Cobra Indigo Microfiber Polishing Cloth

Last edited by Adam; 8/28/10 at 02:07 PM.
Old 8/28/10, 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the last thing you need to buy...

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=1

Though I also have great luck with Lexol leather products.

On the Zaino though...I did my current car in 2003 when I got it. I have not applied any new polish since, just used the touch up spray. I took it to the car wash the other day, and it STILL shows signs of the original polishing. Granted i applied about 8 coats initially, but the point is, the stuff works wonders. Protects against keyings as well.

Last edited by SVTJayC; 8/28/10 at 10:59 AM.
Old 8/28/10, 12:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SVTJayC
... Protects against keyings as well.
Any better than 8 coats of anything else?
Old 8/28/10, 12:58 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, Zaino is like an Apple product.

If you do a quick search on detailing in this section, there were a couple other good threads on cleaning techniques and products. The process RedWings posted is pretty thorough and about the same as I use.
Old 8/28/10, 02:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Man, Zaino is like an Apple product.
Yeah, except that it's actually made well and reasonably priced. Sorry, but nothing comes close enough to the results to make me switch.
Old 8/28/10, 02:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SVTJayC
Yeah, except that it's actually made well and reasonably priced. Sorry, but nothing comes close enough to the results to make me switch.
How can you possibly say that nothing comes close when you claim you have used nothing else since 2003?

I'm not knocking zaino because I've never tried it. But to say it protects against your car being keyed sounds like total BS.

I know people can get fan boyish when they invest a lot of money and time into one product, but the truth is there are tons of different products out there that will meet or beat whatever your go to product is.
Old 8/28/10, 02:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RedWings
How can you possibly say that nothing comes close when you claim you have used nothing else since 2003?

I'm not knocking zaino because I've never tried it. But to say it protects against your car being keyed sounds like total BS.

I know people can get fan boyish when they invest a lot of money and time into one product, but the truth is there are tons of different products out there that will meet or beat whatever your go to product is.
The keying comment was kind of a joke. As someone said, 8 coats of anything will protect against that. Look, use whatever you want. I know who uses Zaino, and I trust them to tell me its at least as good if not better than anything else out there, and it generally costs less to boot. I did my car in 2003, but have since done other cars, have had friends who did theirs, etc.

Last edited by SVTJayC; 8/28/10 at 02:43 PM.
Old 8/28/10, 07:40 PM
Cobra Member

Get yourself a porter cable...best money I have spent!!
Old 8/28/10, 08:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by todd03blown
Get yourself a porter cable...best money I have spent!!
x2

Makes the job so much easier and such great results.
Old 8/28/10, 08:53 PM
Cobra Member

x2

Makes the job so much easier and such great results.
Amen!! Provides great results without have to break out the rotary for a beginner or even an advanced person.
Old 8/29/10, 06:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is only one site that is the be-all, end-all for car care products and how-to articles/tips: autopia.org. Register, search and learn
Old 8/29/10, 08:17 AM
GTR Member

Love me some PC7424XP action!

And yes, Autopia.org is a fantastic site for learning the basics. Even if you just learn to wash your car better, it's served its purpose.
Old 8/29/10, 11:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
Whats good for vinyl vert top...cleaning and then uv and rain protection???
I have only ever used Lexol vinyl cleaner on my 87 GT Vert and its fabulous. Blue bottle and in Phoenix the sun can be, well, harsh!
Old 8/29/10, 07:40 PM
GT Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info. I'm learning a lot. I have a couple questions.

1) Do you need to use a clay bar and a pre-wax cleaner? (Need is a strong word obviously but can one replace the other?

2) Relating to pre-waxing, are all in ones (paint cleaner and polishes) effective or should they be separate products and steps?

I guess I'm trying to find the right balance for a typical cleaning cycle:

Wash, Pre-wax (with a clay bar or paint cleaner), wax <--- But the pre-wax step can have one to three steps. I know it probably depends on circumstances, but this is a new car, can anyone provide some guidance?

Thanks
Old 8/29/10, 07:49 PM
GTR Member

Clay bar > pre-wax. If you clay, no need for pre-wax cleaner.

You can clay twice a year and be effective.
Old 8/29/10, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by emilram11
Hey guys,

Thanks for the info. I'm learning a lot. I have a couple questions.

1) Do you need to use a clay bar and a pre-wax cleaner? (Need is a strong word obviously but can one replace the other?

2) Relating to pre-waxing, are all in ones (paint cleaner and polishes) effective or should they be separate products and steps?

I guess I'm trying to find the right balance for a typical cleaning cycle:

Wash, Pre-wax (with a clay bar or paint cleaner), wax <--- But the pre-wax step can have one to three steps. I know it probably depends on circumstances, but this is a new car, can anyone provide some guidance?

Thanks
Clay, Polish, and Wax is your basic steps. An all in one polish is good for doing all three, but it won't be as effective. Clay, All in one, Wax is a good/easy cycle to use.
Old 8/29/10, 09:18 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Clay bar > pre-wax. If you clay, no need for pre-wax cleaner.

You can clay twice a year and be effective.
Clay, Polish, and Wax is your basic steps. An all in one polish is good for doing all three, but it won't be as effective. Clay, All in one, Wax is a good/easy cycle to use.
Ok thanks guys! That's what I was hoping. A couple more questions...

What's a good interim exterior cleaning product/step to perform when you want to maintain your cleanliness but don't want to wax. -- You'd wash at least then is there something to bring the shine back that doesn't compromise the wax? Or do you stick with wash, polish, wax as the basics?

I'm thinking the following products so far for exterior. I'm thinking I'll try Meguiar's first since most people seem to like their stuff (but I'm open to substitution suggestions):

Meguiar's NXT Generation Car Wash
Meguiar's Clay bar kit
Meguiar's Direct Deep Crystal System Polish (not quite sure if this is considered an all in one)
Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax
Meguiar's NXT Generation Insane Shine Tire spray
Using microfiber towels

How's that look for a start? I was given a box of Turtle Wax Ice Paste Polish I could try first for my polish. Also, I did pick the synthetic product line. Anyone have advice on synthetics versus non-synthetics?
Old 8/29/10, 09:29 PM
Cobra R Member

^ That's a really great start with the product choice. You'll be pleased with the outcome.

For in between major detailing... You may as well stick with the Meguiars Quick Detailer. In my previous post, I mention it to be a great product- What separates it for me is that it 'sticks' to the spot you spray it on. Others will run down the car so you have to swoop the towel down to pick it up... But it does a nice job of renewing the shine.
Old 8/29/10, 10:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Also, I did pick the synthetic product line. Anyone have advice on synthetics versus non-synthetics?
Synthetics offer better protection. Definitely the way to go IMO.

For an over the counter product, the Meguiar's items you listed will be a safe bet.
Old 8/30/10, 08:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ok thanks guys! That's what I was hoping. A couple more questions...

What's a good interim exterior cleaning product/step to perform when you want to maintain your cleanliness but don't want to wax. -- You'd wash at least then is there something to bring the shine back that doesn't compromise the wax? Or do you stick with wash, polish, wax as the basics?
You can use a quick detailer after you wash that 'may' increase the gloss and slickness of the paint. I say 'may' because there are a lot of factors that come into play (what wax is on there, how hard the rinse water was, what shampoo you used, etc..).

Another option, that I use, is using a product like Duragloss Aquawax after you wash. Sprays on and wipes off like a quick detailer but provides protection and feels very slick.

Also, the products you use for washing/polishing/waxing may leave your car very glossy if washed regularly with a good shampoo. No need for extra detailers or wax. Really only one way to find out. After you have done a full detail, don't use a follow-up product after you wash. Then see how you feel about the look/feel of the paint. If you are satisfied, you should be fine. If not, look into some products people recommend.

I'm thinking the following products so far for exterior. I'm thinking I'll try Meguiar's first since most people seem to like their stuff (but I'm open to substitution suggestions):

Meguiar's NXT Generation Car Wash
Meguiar's Clay bar kit
Meguiar's Direct Deep Crystal System Polish (not quite sure if this is considered an all in one)
Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax
Meguiar's NXT Generation Insane Shine Tire spray
Using microfiber towels

How's that look for a start? I was given a box of Turtle Wax Ice Paste Polish I could try first for my polish. Also, I did pick the synthetic product line. Anyone have advice on synthetics versus non-synthetics?
I think that is a good start. Deep Crystal System Polish is not an all in one so you'll need to follow up with at least a wax.

Also, when it comes to tire sprays, some will leave your tires really wet looking while others will leave them more matte/new looking. So you may want to decide which look you want before buying a product.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cleaning tips