Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2010+ Info as far as we know

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/08, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
The S197 is a good platform now but maybe 5-10 years from now it won't be. At the time the Fox body came out the car was praised for being state of the art. Also from what we hear the Camaro, with the benefit of coming later has a supposed better platform than our current Mustang. The global platform was to remedy this but now I feel all bets are off! Circuit City just filed for bankruptcy and I don't see Ford and GM being far off!

All i'm saying is don't be surprised if the all-new Mustang for 2014 or whatever year is pushed back. We were expected to get an all new platform in 94' and again in 99' and we didn't get one until 05'. Unlike then Ford actually has financial reasons to cut back these projects, while before the old platform continued to be a low cost to produce and profitable vehicle. I have a feeling that most 05' Mustang owners won't have buyers remorse because I don't see any radical changes for a long time.

CHEERS TO ALL THE 2005-09 OWNERS! (Hope to be one in the not so distant future!)
Oh, I fully agree with you that we run a very real possibility of the GRWD platform being postponed, either initially or indefinitely. My main point was that if so, we wouldn't suffer too much, IMHO, because the S197 is so good to begin with. (Yes, there is room for improvement - there is always room for improvement.)

And I actually salute all the Fox Mustang buyers without whom we would no longer even have a Mustang! I still recall the anger I felt when Ford announced that the Mustang was to be replaced by the Probe! No more Mustangs? Sacrilege!

I tried to do my part with the SN95s, buying 3 of 'em while anxiously awaiting the '05. (Actually waited & now have an '06 GT, which I absolutely love.)

Gonna be tough, though, with the 10/11 updates. The 05-09 interior has always been a weak spot for me, which looks to be corrected and then some for '10. And if the new powertrains come out for '11, the choice between keeping and trading will become very difficult.

Because now I have the Mustang I could be satisfied with the rest of my life, after a long 30 year wait (if I could drive a 5-speed the rest of my life, that is. The way my left leg is wearing out, though, I'll likely need to give up a clutch in the next 5 years, anyway. Come on automated manual!!)
Old 11/10/08, 11:07 AM
Cobra Member

Man, a hybrid 650hp GT500 would be nice. I am already 14 years old, almost old enough to drive...
Old 11/10/08, 07:00 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,140 Likes on 1,720 Posts
Originally Posted by zzcoop
I'll be pushing forty. Thanks for the heads-up.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaanks a lot.

Yeaaah Aaron, pushing 40 is really getting up there alright. Just wait until you hit 50
Old 11/10/08, 07:06 PM

The S197 is a good platform now but maybe 5-10 years from now it won't be. At the time the Fox body came out the car was praised for being state of the art. Also from what we hear the Camaro, with the benefit of coming later has a supposed better platform than our current Mustang. The global platform was to remedy this but now I feel all bets are off! Circuit City just filed for bankruptcy and I don't see Ford and GM being far off!

All i'm saying is don't be surprised if the all-new Mustang for 2014 or whatever year is pushed back. We were expected to get an all new platform in 94' and again in 99' and we didn't get one until 05'. Unlike then Ford actually has financial reasons to cut back these projects, while before the old platform continued to be a low cost to produce and profitable vehicle. I have a feeling that most 05' Mustang owners won't have buyers remorse because I don't see any radical changes for a long time.

CHEERS TO ALL THE 2005-09 OWNERS! (Hope to be one in the not so distant future!)
No buyers remorse here, that's for sure. Although the 2010, will no doubt be a real winner. I have no intentions of giving up my current 05 GT, until at least 2014
Old 11/11/08, 01:04 PM
Bullitt Member

That's what I mean. The current Mustang is so good that there is no real urgency to go out and buy the newest model. One can happily wait until Ford offers the right mix of styling updates, powertrain updates, and/or option updates to satisfy one's specific desires.

This hasn't been the case with the Mustang for a long, long time...
Old 11/11/08, 01:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys do not think the 5.0 will be tempting? This could be Ford's best engine when it comes to HP in a long time. Who knows what can happen by 2014.
Old 11/11/08, 01:23 PM
Cobra Member

I was just told that Ford is calling back 1000+ workers, to their truck plants. With gas now under $2.00 per gallon, guys want their trucks! I think we are pretty safe with the new 5.0L on the way!
Old 11/11/08, 01:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Under $2.00? What state you live in? I just paid $2.49 Here in Western NY.
Old 11/11/08, 05:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Zoomie
That's what I mean. The current Mustang is so good that there is no real urgency to go out and buy the newest model. One can happily wait until Ford offers the right mix of styling updates, powertrain updates, and/or option updates to satisfy one's specific desires.

This hasn't been the case with the Mustang for a long, long time...
We will see how good it really is when the competition rolls in to town. I agree the styling is fine, but this car is underpowered.
Old 11/11/08, 06:10 PM
Closet American

We will see how good it really is when the competition rolls in to town. I agree the styling is fine, but this car is underpowered.
What competition? Chrysler is a dead man walking, and the Camaro won't ever arrive unless Congress agrees to bail out GM.
Old 11/11/08, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
You guys do not think the 5.0 will be tempting? This could be Ford's best engine when it comes to HP in a long time. Who knows what can happen by 2014.
Sure, I'd love to have the new 5.0. But as for myself personally, my current 05 GT already has everything I want. And the last thing I need, is starting from scratch with car payments all over again.

That being said, all I'll need to do, is add either a SC or twin turbo. And I'll be pushing 400HP anyhow, plus it's a whole lot cheaper than trading up for another car.

Btw: which part of Western New York are you from ? I'm originally from Gasport myself.

"Lets go Buffalo"
Old 11/11/08, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
What competition? Chrysler is a dead man walking, and the Camaro won't ever arrive unless Congress agrees to bail out GM.
Supposedly the Congress, and the Bushwacker are working on an agreement to get a bail out deal for both GM, and Ford. But If they can't get a deal done before Obama takes office. Obama has already stated that he wants to get a bail out agreement done !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 11/11/08 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11/12/08, 01:51 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Supposedly the Congress, and the Bushwacker are working on an agreement to get a bail out deal for both GM, and Ford. But If they can't get a deal done before Obama takes office. Obama has already stated that he wants to get a bail out agreement done !
It'll have to happen before Obama takes office. Bush is reluctant, but I suspect that neither does he want to be remembered as "The President Who Killed General Motors," on top of all his other mistakes.

Meanwhile, it's all over for Chrysler. Even Nissan/Renault only wanted 20% of it...and that was last month!

It really is the end game for the American auto industry.
Old 11/12/08, 08:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Only for the "traditional" auto industry. The other automakers building cars in the U.S. are doing quite well (under the economic circumstances). At least, in comparison with the not-so-big-anymore 3.

Unfortunately, the underlying causes are so in-grained - from the top-heavy corporate structure, through design by committee, to the legacy pension and health care burden, and many more - that it may take the ultimate demise of Chrysler, Ford, and GM as we know them for the "American" auto industry to truly rebound. They are simply not structured to complete effectively in the modern economic environment.

Not that I am an advocate of their demise; far from it! As I tried to explain to my wife last night when she cheered the incipient collapse of GM, if such a thing were to occur the ripple effect through the US economy would be truly cataclysmic. So many jobs, so much economic activity is tied to GM alone that its total collapse would make the current banking and mortgage crisis look like a speed bump in comparison.

The flip side is that taxpayer bail-out would also be economically painful, at best. We're hurting now worse than any time in the past 40 years, and the more bailouts we undertake (the government doesn't bail anyone out - the taxpayers do) the longer the real recovery will take.

What the "American" automakers need to do, IMO, is to restructure as closely as they can to the current models used by Toyota, Honda, BMW, et. al. Would take a lot of union concessions (not an advocate of disbanding the unions, either, but suggest they may want to take a hard look at their contribution to the current situation), trimming middle & upper management, capping executive compensation or actually tying executive performance to profitability, somehow restructuring current pension and benefit obligations, and more. I think the first U.S. auto manufacturer to crack the code would be the most likely to thrive, let alone survive.

It's a balancing act...
Old 11/12/08, 02:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Who knows where it will all lead--no one can predict what the domestic automobile industry's situation will be like on November 12th, 2009, just twelve months from now.

In fact, no one can confidently predict whether there will even BE a domestic automobile industry just twelve months from now.

Luckily for GM, there's still time to rename the Camaro to "Welfaro" if a government buy-out is necessary to keep GM from bankruptcy! See--there IS a silver lining around every dark cloud...

The Milan could become the "MyLoan", the G8 the "G-Man", yada yada yada.

Post some others!

Greg "Eights" Ates
Old 11/12/08, 02:12 PM
Cobra R Member

The Challenger and Camaro will hit market in full force. Even if both GM and Chrysler where to go under, another automaker would purchase the companies and produce these cars. There is no way all this development money for a huge number of cars would go to waste. It takes a long time for a company to totally perish.

Don't know if you realize this but Ford isn't doing much better than GM and Chrysler. If your theory is correct we won't see the 10' Mustang for a long time either!
Old 11/12/08, 04:01 PM
Closet American

The Challenger and Camaro will hit market in full force. Even if both GM and Chrysler where to go under, another automaker would purchase the companies and produce these cars. There is no way all this development money for a huge number of cars would go to waste. It takes a long time for a company to totally perish.
Don't bet your life on it. No-one is stepping in to pick up Chrysler or partner with GM. I suspect Chrysler is finished, though Jeep may find a home. The Camaro's only chance to see real production is a US government bailout. As to wasted development money...who cares? Development money goes to waste all the time.

Don't know if you realize this but Ford isn't doing much better than GM and Chrysler. If your theory is correct we won't see the 10' Mustang for a long time either!
Ford has more cash on hand, and managed to secure enough credit before the financial crisis hit to operate well into 2010. So we will definitely see the '10 Mustang. After that, it could get dicey...though if GM gets a bailout (VERY likely) so will Ford.

As a privately-held company now, I'm not sure Chrysler will be afforded the same consideration by the Congress...and it may be too far gone anyway.
Old 11/12/08, 04:05 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Eights
Who knows where it will all lead--no one can predict what the domestic automobile industry's situation will be like on November 12th, 2009, just twelve months from now.

In fact, no one can confidently predict whether there will even BE a domestic automobile industry just twelve months from now.

Luckily for GM, there's still time to rename the Camaro to "Welfaro" if a government buy-out is necessary to keep GM from bankruptcy! See--there IS a silver lining around every dark cloud...

The Milan could become the "MyLoan", the G8 the "G-Man", yada yada yada.

Post some others!

Greg "Eights" Ates

Old 11/12/08, 04:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
Under $2.00? What state you live in? I just paid $2.49 Here in Western NY.

$1.89 a gallon here for over a week now.
Old 11/12/08, 04:45 PM

Don't bet your life on it. No-one is stepping in to pick up Chrysler or partner with GM. I suspect Chrysler is finished, though Jeep may find a home. The Camaro's only chance to see real production is a US government bailout. As to wasted development money...who cares? Development money goes to waste all the time.

Ford has more cash on hand, and managed to secure enough credit before the financial crisis hit to operate well into 2010. So we will definitely see the '10 Mustang. After that, it could get dicey...though if GM gets a bailout (VERY likely) so will Ford.

As a privately-held company now, I'm not sure Chrysler will be afforded the same consideration by the Congress...and it may be too far gone anyway.
Exactly well put indeed, as the government will never allow Ford and GM to be purchased by non-domestic automakers, such as Nissan and Toyota.

But let's not also forget, that not only are the domestic big 3 affected by the current economic meltdown, but so is Toyota, Nissan, and BMW as well.

That being said, I feel pretty confident will see a U.S Govt. bailout for both GM and Ford, before Obama takes office in January !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 11/12/08 at 04:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010+ Info as far as we know