2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2009 Mustang first pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10/15/06, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordboy97f150
well i thought about how were supposed to get some hips so i made a realllllly quick image of what I'm thinking we might get as far as the rear 1/4's go lemme know if you like how subtle it is

blurr your vision a little bit it looks better lol
Actually I like the "hips", but it's sorta reminiscent of the older Challenger - "Cuda's
Old 10/15/06, 05:49 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
them hips look goodlyish
Old 10/15/06, 07:19 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hips SHOULD remind you of old stangs ... considering they were ON them
Old 10/16/06, 12:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by fordboy97f150
opinions? anyone?...
Not bad, maybe move the hip back a little so it comes up just where the window ends. I think you on to something though.

AmericanMustang's is a little more subtle, I think that might help too. It looks real good on the fastback styling of the new Mustang.
Old 10/16/06, 07:32 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,956 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Hips SHOULD remind you of old stangs ... considering they were ON them
Don't get me wrong ?? I'am all for hips Boomer because yes ? they do remind you of the old Stangs.. However the old Stangs did not have the high waisted beltlines as the current S-197 and although 1.5 inches may not seem much of an increase ?? but in my opinion, the current beltline visually sits too high as is ? And I believe the only way hips are going to look right and really remind you of the old Stangs ? is if the current high waisted beltline becomes lowered a bit..
Old 10/16/06, 07:53 PM
I Have No Life

Thought I read somewhere about the guy who went to the focus group and saw the prototype, that the beltline looked a bit lower, making the hip look fine, and that the hood looked taller (beefier) because of it.
Old 10/16/06, 08:00 PM

Let's just hope that he's right about that prototype
Old 10/17/06, 01:33 PM
I Have No Life

I've heard from multiple sources that its pretty great looking..but no actual details... sorry...
Old 10/17/06, 02:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AmericanMustang
Actually I like the "hips", but it's sorta reminiscent of the older Challenger - "Cuda's
I could see the "Hips" being a likely Change. The Tooling Upgrades required by the Factory can be offset by numerous means and also by the first 8 months of Production.

The idea of the Re-Styling in 2012 being much like a European, Curvy version (as depicted my many Magazines' Opinions) seems highly unlikely, given the fact that the current Styling is so well received.
Old 10/17/06, 04:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

well if it looks like that, then i will be selling my 05 to my dad, and going with the new GTO!
Old 10/17/06, 04:06 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
And I hate to tell you this ?? but the beltline is going to be changed due to the addition of hips that's going to take place on the 09-10 as a result of the first re-design of the S-197 Stang...Perhaps not in the sense as a complete change ? but none the less just by adding hips on the quarter panels alone will change the current beltline and trunk area..And the way I look at it is this ? how much more of a difference in cost is it going to make by changing the entire waistline or just part of it ?? I really don't think engineering and tooling costs are going to be that more of an additional expense..
It is much cheaper to do a "partial" beltline change.
A complete beltline change involves the height of the dash and windshield, which is VERY expensive to do.

A "partial" or "fake" beltline change could be done by altering the doors & side windows to allow that portion of the beltline to slope down where the hips are created.

It has already been stated that the greenhouse is not changing, mening the windshield and probably the rear window remain the same keeping the same dash & package tray height.

I am not shooting from the hip on this, I used to work in the machine tool business. The customers I worked with were Ford, GM & Chrysler. I know what's involved, and the cost, of tooling a vehicle.
Old 10/17/06, 04:13 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stangette
I could see the "Hips" being a likely Change. The Tooling Upgrades required by the Factory can be offset by numerous means and also by the first 8 months of Production.
?????

Where did you get this information from?

The cost of tooling is amortized over many years and hundreds of thousands of vehicles. Tooling is not "paid for" in the first 8 months of production. Please tell us those "numerous means"..."The Tooling Upgrades required by the Factory can be offset."

The days of paying for the tooling cost for new sheet metal every year went away 30 years ago.
Old 10/17/06, 04:14 PM

I agree with V10 in that the '09 refresh will be just that, a refresh that basically retains the basic understructure, which is much more expensive to change. In other words, expect something along the scale of the '99 refresh, if that much, where the basic structure and greenhouse are retained and the various outside body panels/parts are changed.

Inside will probably get redone with better materials and surfaces and a few more gadgets (IPOD compatibility, GPS option).

Motors will get at least a power upgrade in the 4.6 and quite possibly some version of the 5.4 to better compete with the Camaro and Challenger.

Brakes will hopefully be uprated a touch too.

Suspension will likely just be a rehash of the current setup with an outside possibility of a Control Blade type IRS (option), again to match up with the competitors, now that the Stang really will have some very direct competitors.
Old 10/17/06, 04:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by V10
?????

Where did you get this information from?

The cost of tooling is amortized over many years and hundreds of thousands of vehicles. Tooling is not "paid for" in the first 8 months of production. Please tell us those "numerous means"..."The Tooling Upgrades required by the Factory can be offset."

The days of paying for the tooling cost for new sheet metal every year went away 30 years ago.
Based on a comment from a Factory Worker in Late '05. They must consider if they can recoup at leat a notable portion of their investment in a relatively short time; due to the Competition and the Cost matters they are currently facing. The ins and out of the process, i don't know. I also assume ( based on profit numbers and financial reports ) that Ford will not make such a change or take the risk in the current day Economy without considering strongly wheather or not they can make money on it. Right now, in their effort towards securing a place in the CUV Market and re-styling of the future F-150, as well as upcoming new models for 08, they do have their hands full.
Old 10/17/06, 09:24 PM

I'm sure that you guys are far more knowledgeable than I'am, especially that some of you are in the field ? so who am I to say otherwise in fact, I'd be a fool if I even tried to disagree..Therefore if you say that engineering costs would be affected by changing the entire beltline ?? then you must be right..All I was trying to point out is from a visual standpoint ? in my personal opinion, by adding hips to an already high waisted beltline just won't look right let alone very appealing but if somehow the quarter panel, quarter window areas and doors could be lowered a bit without changing the entire waistline ? then perhaps that could work as an alternative ?? but if I'm not mistaken ? won't the front fenders have to be lowered in order to match the rest of the car as well ?
Old 10/18/06, 06:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
....... in my personal opinion, by adding hips to an already high waisted beltline just won't look right let alone very appealing but if somehow the quarter panel, quarter window areas and doors could be lowered a bit without changing the entire waistline ? then perhaps that could work as an alternative ?? but if I'm not mistaken ? won't the front fenders have to be lowered in order to match the rest of the car as well ?
I agree with the need to prevent the "heavy" look by addition of the hips to the current model.

If you look at the preceeding picture with the hips, the rear quarter panel and the part that encompasses the quarter window, running along the length above the door, through to the lower front windshield; it is all one piece.

If the designers are careful how they engineer this piece and keep it aligned at the current adjacent seams to the body, then the one panel might only need plate modification. Lightening up the side view of the car in a manner similar to that of the GT500 might also produce a more "streamilined" look to the car. In the Shipbuilding Trade, we call these "Developable Surfaces", whereby the steel body "skin" can be shaped to any manner consistent with the strength and location of the steel on the Unit. Not to say Auto design is done in exactly the same manner, but steelwork across industries does have some similarities. Shaping steel does have it's own unique set of challenges, no matter where it is being placed.

Yes, i imagine if they were to lower the rear quarter, it would require a lowering of the corresponding components and in my experiance, with large ships and offsore units, lowering height on a curved surface by even an inch can be quite noticeable. In speaking of human visual perception, through my GIA Gemological certification, yes, i have many educations - lol - the human eye can notice change in as small an increment as a (mm) at arms reach.
Old 10/18/06, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

welll...i like the convertible i did!!! lol! but to make things look right i did have to lower the rear, straightin' the bottom line of the car and move the window post, and a few little thnigs so it looked OK at least, not perfect by far, im sure sombody else can take what ive done and make it a lot better, but still im sure im not the only one here gettin itchy waiting to see the next generation, have a nice day folks