2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

'12 MT82 gear whine in all gears

Search this Thread

Old 5/17/11 | 09:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Dam, the more I reaserch this car the more am rethinking buying one. What the hell are you thinking or not.... Ford!!!!
Old 5/17/11 | 01:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jlc41
Dam, the more I reaserch this car the more am rethinking buying one. What the hell are you thinking or not.... Ford!!!!
Honestly, other than the whine (which hasn't gotten any worse since my first post on the subject, btw), I'd give the car an overall grade of "fantastic". It shifts buttery smooth, the clutch is more progressive than Janeane Garofalo, and it's powerful enough to make you see Jesus when you floor it in first.

I took an airman with me to a color guard ceremony. It was pretty funny. First, I ran it through the first two gears. He said, "I, uh, just saw the sky out the windshield. And I need to puke, I think." Then I pressed the speech button and said "Play track stairway to heaven." Led Zeppelin started playing. After a while, I pressed the button again and said "Phone, call [my wife] at home." Then I had a short conversation with my wife. Then I pulled the shade open on my glass roof. Then, after warning him, I slammed on the brakes.

Then, after we arrived, I showed him the back-up camera and sensors, then I showed him the sequential turn signals. The phrase of the day was "Dude, no f***in' way!"

Needless to say, he was quite impressed.

Don't let a little whine dissuade you from what is otherwise a perfect car.

Well, it'd be perfect if it had a few more storage compartments, anyway.
Old 5/17/11 | 01:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Problem solved:

http://covercraft.com/pocket_pods.htm

Already got one waiting to go on my '12. Perfect place for my jumper cables, flashlight, etc.
Old 5/17/11 | 06:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Make sure you post a pic and review. I'm interested in this as well.
Old 5/17/11 | 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah Lewis I want to check that out once you put it in.
Old 5/17/11 | 07:37 PM
Cobra Member

Will do. Hopefully will be in the next few days.

Seems like a well built high quality piece though. Should do the trick to get rid of the small glovebox issue.
Old 5/18/11 | 06:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

No chance I place my order until this is resolved. And by resolved I mean, not built in China.
Old 5/18/11 | 06:50 AM
GT Member

Honestly, other than the whine (which hasn't gotten any worse since my first post on the subject, btw), I'd give the car an overall grade of "fantastic". It shifts buttery smooth, the clutch is more progressive than Janeane Garofalo, and it's powerful enough to make you see Jesus when you floor it in first.

I took an airman with me to a color guard ceremony. It was pretty funny. First, I ran it through the first two gears. He said, "I, uh, just saw the sky out the windshield. And I need to puke, I think." Then I pressed the speech button and said "Play track stairway to heaven." Led Zeppelin started playing. After a while, I pressed the button again and said "Phone, call [my wife] at home." Then I had a short conversation with my wife. Then I pulled the shade open on my glass roof. Then, after warning him, I slammed on the brakes.

Then, after we arrived, I showed him the back-up camera and sensors, then I showed him the sequential turn signals. The phrase of the day was "Dude, no f***in' way!"

Needless to say, he was quite impressed.

Don't let a little whine dissuade you from what is otherwise a perfect car.

Awesome, good to know, thanks for the update!
Old 5/18/11 | 06:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SVTJayC
No chance I place my order until this is resolved. And by resolved I mean, not built in China.
I will laugh if even after a fix it is made in China, I mean honestly even if there had been no problems from the start would you still b*tch about it being made there? Yes there are problems with it, but they are still more than likely less than even 5% of vehicles sold. Yes Ford needs to fix it, but there are some actual quality products built in China. You'd have to think Ford tested at least a few before selling them and didn't have problems with them or they wouldn't have put them in.
Old 5/18/11 | 07:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FCMalie
I will laugh if even after a fix it is made in China, I mean honestly even if there had been no problems from the start would you still b*tch about it being made there? Yes there are problems with it, but they are still more than likely less than even 5% of vehicles sold. Yes Ford needs to fix it, but there are some actual quality products built in China. You'd have to think Ford tested at least a few before selling them and didn't have problems with them or they wouldn't have put them in.
Well, enjoy your laugh. I'm not wild about anything built in China that I have to rely on. Garbage in, Garbage out. It's always just a matter of time with anything made there.
Old 5/18/11 | 09:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

I will laugh if even after a fix it is made in China, I mean honestly even if there had been no problems from the start would you still b*tch about it being made there?
Yes. We were *****ing the second we found out it'd be made in China, well before manufacturing began. And by the looks of it, we were right.

Ford needs to fix it, but there are some actual quality products built in China.
Yes, I hear they do buildings fairly well.

Oops.

As for testing, I'm of the opinion that interest in international relationships and cost-cutting measures forced engineering principles to take a back seat on this one.

Last edited by hawkeye18; 5/18/11 at 09:09 AM.
Old 5/18/11 | 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes. We were *****ing the second we found out it'd be made in China, well before manufacturing began. And by the looks of it, we were right.

Yes, I hear they do buildings fairly well.

Oops.

As for testing, I'm of the opinion that interest in international relationships and cost-cutting measures forced engineering principles to take a back seat on this one.
yea, I'm on NIPR right now so can't view youtube. Oh well, I know I had no problem with my iPad or iPhone both with parts made in China. Guess I just got lucky, maybe it will stay that way with my car too. If not the whole setup is getting switch out once I save up enough for the twin turbo setup I'm going to go with anyways.
Old 5/18/11 | 09:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

yea, I'm on NIPR right now so can't view youtube. Oh well, I know I had no problem with my iPad or iPhone both with parts made in China. Guess I just got lucky, maybe it will stay that way with my car too. If not the whole setup is getting switch out once I save up enough for the twin turbo setup I'm going to go with anyways.
Your Ipad/Iphone is not designed to have a service life longer than a few years.
Old 5/18/11 | 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Your Ipad/Iphone is not designed to have a service life longer than a few years.
Iphone is going on over 5 years and still going strong, just got the ipad2 so can't really say too much other than no problems so far. I guess I just see it as people used to say the same thing about stuff made in Mexico and now the majority of our vehicles have major parts built there.
Old 5/18/11 | 12:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

What!! You're on NIPR!? Get out of the office! Bad! (it's a video of a building just falling over because it was so awesomely constructed)

Anyhoo, the thing is that electronics manufacturing in China and heavy-industry manufacturing are two completely separate worlds. To add to that, Apple has such famously strict QC that the entire world knows about it (Foxconn suicides, anybody?), and their business model in China is not really comparable to this situation.

China has very large deposits of iron ore, but they are of very low quality, and produces low quality steel. That isn't entirely relevant, but it does color nearly everything they produce. Add to that the fact that capitalism has run rampant without the balances necessary to make it work (how do you drive people who produce faulty goods out of business? Sue them, or stop buying from them. How the hell do you know who you're buying from at Wal-mart, and how do you sue somebody in China?), and you get ****ty transmissions that you can't do anything about, except not buy a Mustang.

Neat, eh?
Old 5/18/11 | 12:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Just thought I'd share this thread, it's a pretty good read on someone who tore apart his own transmition and is doing the troubleshooting. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-problems.html
Old 5/18/11 | 02:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just thought I'd share this thread, it's a pretty good read on someone who tore apart his own transmition and is doing the troubleshooting. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-problems.html
So according to that guy, basically the trans in this car is a total piece of junk that Ford has no interest in supporting when it fails. Like I said, I'll pass.
Old 5/18/11 | 02:27 PM
Cobra Member

The amount of people who jump in here spewing their hate without driving one is hilarious.
Old 5/18/11 | 02:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Yea, I don't even have one yet. Mine should be delivered on the 31st according to Deysha. I'm just looking at finding a fix that could prevent the problem people are having and this guy just seemed to have a decent idea. I really don't care where the fix comes from, just that it stops people from having problems.
Old 5/18/11 | 09:01 PM
Bullitt Member

So according to that guy, basically the trans in this car is a total piece of junk that Ford has no interest in supporting when it fails. Like I said, I'll pass.
NO he never said it was a total piece of junk!

FORD however needs to do more than just blame the owners & or mods.

So don't buy one who cares!Now that you've decided to not buy one SEE YA!

Quick Reply: '12 MT82 gear whine in all gears