2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

'12 MT82 gear whine in all gears

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/11, 09:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpowell5.0
I have the whine also Ford will not do anything right now, I have been denied and told by customer service who told my dealer that its a normal characteristic of the trans even though i told them one day i didn't have it and now i do lol but its shifting so gd smooth with that new fluid in it and everything is documented in my file so when the **** hits the fan i have evidence and a big "I told you so"
Actually if the temp in your are is going up one characteristic of having the thinner fluid in there is a gear whine. Not sure if it was mentioned in the TSB or not. Hopefully they find an in between, cause the stock fluid in the transmission was too thick for cold weather and the replacement is thin enough for there to be whine in warm weather.
Old 4/28/11, 09:57 PM

Double post

Last edited by Cpowell5.0; 4/28/11 at 09:58 PM.
Old 4/28/11, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by FCMalie
Actually if the temp in your are is going up one characteristic of having the thinner fluid in there is a gear whine. Not sure if it was mentioned in the TSB or not. Hopefully they find an in between, cause the stock fluid in the transmission was too thick for cold weather and the replacement is thin enough for there to be whine in warm weather.
I had my whine a week before the fluid swap it developed after some spirited driving i also have a local buddy with the exact same whine its kind of weird. But yes its mentioned in the tsb. Ford customer service kept telling me i have the whine because of the thinner fluid. I said i understand that but this developed before the swap thats why i had my service adviser ride with me before we swapped the fluid and he confirmed that mine is louder than normal But it went in one ear and out the other.

Last edited by Cpowell5.0; 4/28/11 at 10:02 PM.
Old 4/28/11, 10:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cpowell5.0
I had my whine a week before the fluid swap it developed after some spirited driving i also have a local buddy with the exact same whine its kind of weird. But yes its mentioned in the tsb. Ford customer service kept telling me i have the whine because of the thinner fluid. I said i understand that but this developed before the swap thats why i had my service adviser ride with me before we swapped the fluid and he confirmed that mine is louder than normal But it went in one ear and out the other.
Ah ok, was just going off of what I had read so far. I'm hoping they come out with something to fix the problems some people are having with the trans. I pick up my car soon, hoping I get lucky, but with all the time I've spent saying Ford will fix it I'm sure I'll have some problem lol.
Old 4/29/11, 09:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah ok, was just going off of what I had read so far. I'm hoping they come out with something to fix the problems some people are having with the trans. I pick up my car soon, hoping I get lucky, but with all the time I've spent saying Ford will fix it I'm sure I'll have some problem lol.
Well keep in mind I have a VERY early build '12. Yours may be significantly different in the trans area.
Old 4/29/11, 11:31 AM

My 2012 only has ~400 miles on it and I have just started to notice a faint whine. Like others said it seems to correspond to engine RPM and not vehicle speed. I don't feel it is an issue yet but I'm going to monitor it to make sure its not getting worse.
Old 4/29/11, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

The reason I mentioned a belt is because I recently had an issue with my 2010 focus that was similar. I knew it was a belt from the start. I took it in many times just to have then say they could not find the issue. Eventually it was loud enough for them to find it.
Old 4/29/11, 09:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow Ford hasn't figured this out yet!

I hate seeing this & hope Ford figures it out soon.
Old 4/29/11, 10:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by knk11stang
Wow Ford hasn't figured this out yet!

I hate seeing this & hope Ford figures it out soon.

If they cared they would've swapped these POS transmissions but they don't. Last Ford I'll ever buy...40K and the trans is garabage.

Other then the trans its an AMAZING car...just looking at it makes me happy...I'm 24 and it's my 3rd GT.
Old 4/29/11, 10:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by unas2k5

If they cared they would've swapped these POS transmissions but they don't. Last Ford I'll ever buy...40K and the trans is garabage.

Other then the trans its an AMAZING car...just looking at it makes me happy...I'm 24 and it's my 3rd GT.
And?
Old 4/29/11, 11:08 PM
Bullitt Member

He just wanted to vent. I'm sure he realizes that Ford doesn't want to lose sales because of an issue with the car. Of course they would rather figure out and fix the problem with the MT82 than swap out a new one because it would be more cost efficient to do so. This stuff takes time, yea it sucks, but it will get fixed.
Old 4/29/11, 11:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Big Vito
And?
I'm saying that I LOVE Mustangs and Ford if Ford doesnt correct the issue then why should I continue to buy them? I'm loyal to the brand.
Old 4/29/11, 11:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

He just wanted to vent. I'm sure he realizes that Ford doesn't want to lose sales because of an issue with the car. Of course they would rather figure out and fix the problem with the MT82 than swap out a new one because it would be more cost efficient to do so. This stuff takes time, yea it sucks, but it will get fixed.

Thanks
Old 4/30/11, 07:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by unas2k5

I'm saying that I LOVE Mustangs and Ford if Ford doesnt correct the issue then why should I continue to buy them? I'm loyal to the brand.
Just buy a GT500 they seemingly have no tranny issues
Old 5/1/11, 04:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I have an early build 2011 and have the whine in all gears except 5th and 6th.

Dealership will say it is normal when you know it's not.

Welcome to the MT82 owners club
Old 5/1/11, 10:22 AM
GT Member

Coming from a Subaru with a crappy transmission, I can deal with a lot...notchiness, whining, high shift effort, clunking. But NOT grinding or popout. As long as there's no actual grrrrrrrinding or popout, I'll be happy.
Old 5/1/11, 11:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Check out these... you're not alone...

2011 Mustang Manual Transmission Problems

2012 Mustang Manual Transmission Problems

YouTube: Mustang GT Transmission Whine

Last edited by jmatero; 5/1/11 at 11:35 AM.
Old 5/1/11, 01:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
Check out these... you're not alone...
That's exactly what I'm having.

Really I don't care though. That's what a warranty is for, right? I'll just drive it 'til it grenades. Plus, I don't wanna take my short shifter off, but I really don't feel like listening to the dealer try to explain to me how a 20% throw reduction makes the transmission explode, because it doesn't and everybody knows it.
Old 5/1/11, 01:20 PM
Bullitt Member

We already have one owner reporting his transmission failure will not be covered under warranty because he replaced his stock tires with Hankooks and installed a CAI. No, the after market shifter won't help when your tranny grenades.

PS. I just lost my SECOND transmission at only 5000 miles with NO MODS.
Old 5/1/11, 01:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
We already have one owner reporting his transmission failure will not be covered under warranty because he replaced his stock tires with Hankooks and installed a CAI. No, the after market shifter won't help when your tranny grenades.
This is pure BS. Changing tires will not cause tranny failure, nor will they deny a claim on that because of tires. Additionally, Ford has to prove the CAI caused the tranny failure, which it clearly cannot.

Sounds like there's much more the story than what's being told or someone is yanking your chain.

Quick Reply: '12 MT82 gear whine in all gears