2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

'12 MT82 gear whine in all gears

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/11, 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LEwis26
This is pure BS. Changing tires will not cause tranny failure, nor will they deny a claim on that because of tires. Additionally, Ford has to prove the CAI caused the tranny failure, which it clearly cannot.

Sounds like there's much more the story than what's being told or someone is yanking your chain.
Nope. It's not the first case either. This guy had the pressure plate bolts back out... and HE was blamed for it (despite it being a known issue) and because he had after market tires and a CAI the dealer told him if he had any other trouble with the transmission, it would not be covered. Story has been on the news, there's a Facebook page devoted to it, etc. He ended up trading it just to be done with it.

2011 Mustang GT Transmission Failure AGAIN - 5000 miles
Old 5/1/11, 01:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
Nope. It's not the first case either. This guy had the pressure plate bolts back out... and HE was blamed for it (despite it being a known issue) and because he had after market tires and a CAI the dealer told him if he had any other trouble with the transmission, it would not be covered. Story has been on the news, there's a Facebook page devoted to it, etc. He ended up trading it just to be done with it.

So a guy got treated crappy buy a dealer the first time he brought the car in and then proceeded to go back to the same dealer for more work? He could have easily contacted FCS and had something done above the dealer level or just gone somewhere else. The parts he put on would not void the warranty from Ford and therefore he could have gotten it taken care of somewhere else. I'm sorry but if a dealer or any business treats me like crap they don't get a second chance.
Old 5/1/11, 02:02 PM
Bullitt Member

If you read up on the details, the first dealer flagged his VIN as "abuse" after the pressure plate bolts backed out. He went to a second dealer and they wouldn't touch the car as the VIN was flagged, and Ford Customer Care couldn't help him because of the flag. Essentially, the first dealer blacklisted him despite the pressure plate bolt issue being well known.

Last edited by jmatero; 5/1/11 at 02:03 PM.
Old 5/1/11, 02:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I read it, unless the guys brother is posting it wrong. It says he brought it in at 3k for the PPB and at 5k it was flagged by the same dealer. He says it both on the youtube comments and the LS1 thread. I know you have your own agenda with the MT82/Ford/whoever, but not everyone is in the same boat. That guy got screwed by the dealer and never tried going above them or around.
Old 5/1/11, 02:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

That sounds exactly like my cars wine! LOL
Old 5/1/11, 03:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you read up on the details, the first dealer flagged his VIN as "abuse" after the pressure plate bolts backed out. He went to a second dealer and they wouldn't touch the car as the VIN was flagged, and Ford Customer Care couldn't help him because of the flag. Essentially, the first dealer blacklisted him despite the pressure plate bolt issue being well known.
Aaaand this is why my car will be stock when it goes into the dealer. **** like this is just ridiculous. All I've done to it is the short shifter, but I really don't need any problems like this happening. You can call it fraud if you like, but stories like this are why actions like mine are necessary.
Old 5/1/11, 07:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Aaaand this is why my car will be stock when it goes into the dealer. **** like this is just ridiculous. All I've done to it is the short shifter, but I really don't need any problems like this happening. You can call it fraud if you like, but stories like this are why actions like mine are necessary.

+1......
Old 5/2/11, 07:44 AM
GT Member

Question

JMatero,

On AFM you said there were a "multitude" of posts from Defender and Transit owners complaining about the MT82, doing swaps, etc.

I googled extensively, and while I found some posts, the threads were years old, inactive, and FAR from a multitude.

Can you please back your claims up with direct links? Thanks.
Old 5/2/11, 08:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

after listening to all the whine videos- my whine is definitely a different sounding. mine is not that loud and only happens from 1500-3200 rpms and only cold. Ill keep a eye on it and see if it gets worse.

Im at 2k miles on my stang now
Old 5/6/11, 08:07 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hello my people,

If you are having any concerns with your Mustang, Please bring your vehicle in to your Ford dealership to get FULLY diagnosed. Then, message me with your mileage, contact info, VIN, and dealer so that I can escalate it. Thank you all for your time and support.

Deysha
Old 5/6/11, 08:09 AM

I have both disconnected the solenoid (which will be reconnected before going to the dealer - ugh) and tuned it out, so it really should not be affecting anything.

I haven't scheduled a dealer visit yet, and probably won't until next week. Frankly at this point it's not bad enough to warrant dealing with a dealer.

Deysha, I thank you for your offer of assistance, but I don't think I need to escalate this quite yet...
No problem hawkeye18! Just tell me when.

Deysha
Old 5/12/11, 08:30 AM

Hmm... it may be a belt, but it definitely sounds like a gear noise.

I'm not gonna sit here and say the trans is **** or defective because it whines - frankly I'm not even at the point where I'm gonna call the dealer - I'm just trying to figure out if this is happening to other people, and whether it means the trans is about to blow up or not.

Just because everybody else is saying MT82s are **** and they're whining and *****ing about it doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have a problem with mine.
I recommend you still bring your vehicle in to your dealer because it could be a completely unrelated item, as well as the fact it helps with future diagnoses and with the fix of future and present vehicles. Again, if you need any further assistance, do not hesitate to message me.

Deysha
Old 5/12/11, 12:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
I recommend you still bring your vehicle in to your dealer because it could be a completely unrelated item, as well as the fact it helps with future diagnoses and with the fix of future and present vehicles. Again, if you need any further assistance, do not hesitate to message me.

Deysha
Right now I can't really bring it in as I only have one car (I'm doing a complete engine bay teardown/rebuild in the process of replacing the rear manifold on a '95 SHO), and I can't afford to be without this one while the dealer looks for a solution. Besides, from what I've heard I'll either be told it's normal, or that there's no solution anyway.

My confidence in dealers in general is not high.

I do appreciate you keeping tabs on the situation, though. If only you could guarantee me a loaner while mine's in the dealer!
Old 5/12/11, 12:45 PM
Banned

Right now I can't really bring it in as I only have one car (I'm doing a complete engine bay teardown/rebuild in the process of replacing the rear manifold on a '95 SHO), and I can't afford to be without this one while the dealer looks for a solution. Besides, from what I've heard I'll either be told it's normal, or that there's no solution anyway.

I do appreciate you keeping tabs on the situation, though. If only you could guarantee me a loaner while mine's in the dealer!

You should get a rental car anytime you have warranty work done.

Also

" A whine indicates another problem such as gear alignment or possibly bearings getting eaten up. If you have a whine, it is most likely a symptom of a larger problem and not necessarily the problem itself."
Old 5/12/11, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
You should get a rental car anytime you have warranty work done.

Also

" A whine indicates another problem such as gear alignment or possibly bearings getting eaten up. If you have a whine, it is most likely a symptom of a larger problem and not necessarily the problem itself."
"Should" and "will" are two completely different things down here in SOMD. SOP for the locals here (whom we call SMIBs - Southern Maryland Inbred Bastards) is "Deny the problem until it's undeniable, then blame it on the customer". I'm entirely expecting to take the car to the dealer, have them tell me that since my rear tires have slight wear on them I was obviously abusing the car and they're denying warranty coverage and blacklisting my VIN.

So, I'll just wait 'til it blows up.

#cotomersevis
Old 5/12/11, 02:33 PM
Banned

It's a brand new car, lol.

I'd take it in, regardless what they say. It's not their problem to diagnose a problem and why it occurs, but rather solve it. All the legit dealerships MUST give you a car rental. Call ahead and talk to the service manager and than a general manager if you can't get things done.

For the love of God, the car has 412HP. Are we not suppose to drive it like it has that much power? That's stupid. Whatever they tell you, don't take it lightly. You wasted $40k on this ride, why let it go down the toilet. If all fails, lemon law it. But take it in
Old 5/16/11, 12:46 PM

Hey hawkeye18,

Could you please message me with your dealer, mileage and contact info please. I would like to help you get this issue resolved.

Deysha
Old 5/16/11, 03:03 PM

Exclamation

Just some FYI for you guys. I noticed the same whine in my car after I bought it in November. only 1500 miles on it. I took it to my dealer and they admitted that this was the first 5.0 they had worked on, but after driving around the block they agreed that it didn't sound "right". Now I think that since I was one of the first people to report the issue Ford stepped up and replaced the transmission. Now the interesting part: the new transmission was silent until around 1200 miles on it and it started to whine as well. I now have 6000 miles and it's whining louder than the first box. I will admit that it shifts oh so smoothly and I love it, but if it continues to get louder I'm sure I will eventually hit a threshold where I can no longer stand it. I'm no where near that now. I haven't bothered the dealer with the second transmission whining, but I'll take it in this week to be documented.

Anyone know if the transmission from the GT500 will bolt up to the 5.0?
Old 5/16/11, 03:04 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by sletcher
Anyone know if the transmission from the GT500 will bolt up to the 5.0?
The GT500 tranny is not without issues either. It too has issues with notchy shifts, grinding, whine, etc.
Old 5/17/11, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by LEwis26
The GT500 tranny is not without issues either. It too has issues with notchy shifts, grinding, whine, etc.
Then I will continue to turn up the radio and enjoy the ride.

Quick Reply: '12 MT82 gear whine in all gears