Old 12/28/09, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boomer
You SO aren't
well it was fun for a few minutes... LOL

Old 12/29/09, 01:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With high compression and high boost, those heads will want to come off!!!
Lets see these 5.0's pop, its the only way to know the limit.
Old 12/29/09, 07:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Well whipple has a blower ready. Or so it should be ready or close to..It should be interesting to see where they ended up with doing the blowers for these cars.
Old 12/29/09, 08:14 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Is it too simplistic to think that supercharger kits for an 11:1 motor will need to be lower boost (i.e. 4-6 psi) than what we can get away with on lower compression motors?
Old 12/29/09, 08:37 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No I don't think thats crazy, but the benefits on how it reacts to the new design, and how sophisticated the new ECM is will produce some NICE power
Old 12/29/09, 09:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm thinking that a turbo will work nicely with the new 5.0, low boost of course.
Old 12/29/09, 10:50 AM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Ninjak
Well whipple has a blower ready. Or so it should be ready or close to..It should be interesting to see where they ended up with doing the blowers for these cars.
Whipple has a couple of kits in the works for the new 5.0L. This is from Dustin Whipple, CEO of Whipple Superchargers:

"Have you worked on your front entry compressors yet? We have, see our new Camaro 2010 kit? What do you have for the new 5.0 Mustang? Anything? Because were almost done with 3 systems, stage 1,2,3"

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...67#post1446367

Post # 84

It's obvious you won't be able to run 20 pounds of boost on the Coyote; however, I was referring to the following: where you needed 12 pounds of boost before, you'll probably only need 5-6 with the new engine. As far as how much boost this car will handle, I think a good indicator would be the SN-95 Mach 1 Mustang, which ran, what, 10:1 compression, devoid of piston cooling and knock sensors. There was also no adaptive tune available for the Mach 1, at least from what I know. I understand that there's always the need for more power, but that crowd can either choose to build the new 5.0L with aftermarket parts, or go after a GT500, which is, no doubt, more mod-friendly from the factory.
Old 12/29/09, 01:16 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by MARZ
I think a good indicator would be the SN-95 Mach 1 Mustang, which ran, what, 10:1 compression, devoid of piston cooling and knock sensors.
Machs have knock sensors.
Old 12/29/09, 01:46 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A lot of the engine systems had knock sensors but not used in the way the new car utlizes them.
The start of this was back in the 08 Bullitts 'adaptive tuning'

Think of this as Adaptive Tuning on Steroids.
Old 12/29/09, 02:40 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Machs have knock sensors.
Whoops, you're right. I guess I should have done an iota of research first.
Old 12/29/09, 02:50 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by MARZ
Whoops, you're right. I guess I should have done an iota of research first.
Not that big of a deal. I was going to preface my post with a sentence stating the Mach's aren't as sophisticated as the newer ones, but Boomer took care of that.
Old 12/29/09, 03:12 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
A lot of the engine systems had knock sensors but not used in the way the new car utlizes them.
The start of this was back in the 08 Bullitts 'adaptive tuning'

Think of this as Adaptive Tuning on Steroids.
Glad you made that point. I've read more BS that Bullitt was just knock sensors. Yet none of the aftermarket tuners have cracked or mimicked Ford's adaptive tuning.... with them the tunes are octane specific.

Bullitt Press Release, Paul Randle:
Engine performance is further enhanced through the use of an innovative adaptive spark ignition system, new for the 2008 Mustang Bullitt.
The system can sense, within a few seconds, what type of fuel is being injected into the motor and adjusts the spark to provide maximum torque at any given speed – and as much as 10 pounds-feet more between 1,000 and 4,000 rpm.
Bullitt can run on either premium or regular fuel. Ford recommends premium fuel for optimum performance, but the adaptive spark ignition will adjust the spark to burn regular fuel without damaging the engine.

Owners Manual:
Octane recommendations (Bullitt™* Mustang only)
Your vehicle will run normally on 87 octane regular fuel without damaging the engine, but premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 (R+M)/2 or higher is recommended for best overall performance.

No doubt this technology has been improved for the 11.

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/29/09 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12/29/09, 04:50 PM
V6 Member

Just ran a few estimated dynamic compression ratio calculations and the new 5.0 engine looks like it will be somewhere between 8 - 8.5:1 naturally aspirated; right on the ragged edge of what pump gas will tolerate. Adding 4 pounds of boost shoots the dynamic compression ratio to approximately 10.5:1 which is race gas territory. This all assumes that intake valve closes at 70 degrees ABDC (just a guess), and we don't know to what extent the computer can change the cam timing on this new engine.

The cool thing about having variable valve timing is that you can manipulate the dynamic compression ratio to some extent. The bad part is that if you are lowering the dynamic compression ratio through valve timing, you are introducing valve overlap which effectively bleeds off cylinder pressure when both the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time. Supercharged engines do not typically respond well to excess valve overlap because you are bleeding off the air you were trying to add to the combustion.

For now, I think this may explain how ford is dealing with the 11:1 static compression ratio on regular pump gas NA, but does little to explain how a FI setup will work with the new engine. It will be interesting to see how the aftermarket responds to this and what the power figures will be on these cars with a little boost.
Old 12/29/09, 07:18 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Is it too simplistic to think that supercharger kits for an 11:1 motor will need to be lower boost (i.e. 4-6 psi) than what we can get away with on lower compression motors?
Nope, your thinking is correct. If the 5.0 in the GT had direct injection things would change a bit but it doesn't. The C/R on the GT 5.0 is high for the purpose of making a lot of power N/A. Should a blown/turbo 5.0L GT500 motor come, you can bet it won't be 11:1. Ford has never and will never "build" a stock N/A GT motor for high boost until the GT is factory super/turbocharged.
Old 12/29/09, 07:30 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by sknapp302
Just ran a few estimated dynamic compression ratio calculations and the new 5.0 engine looks like it will be somewhere between 8 - 8.5:1 naturally aspirated; right on the ragged edge of what pump gas will tolerate. Adding 4 pounds of boost shoots the dynamic compression ratio to approximately 10.5:1 which is race gas territory. This all assumes that intake valve closes at 70 degrees ABDC (just a guess), and we don't know to what extent the computer can change the cam timing on this new engine.

The cool thing about having variable valve timing is that you can manipulate the dynamic compression ratio to some extent. The bad part is that if you are lowering the dynamic compression ratio through valve timing, you are introducing valve overlap which effectively bleeds off cylinder pressure when both the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time. Supercharged engines do not typically respond well to excess valve overlap because you are bleeding off the air you were trying to add to the combustion.

For now, I think this may explain how ford is dealing with the 11:1 static compression ratio on regular pump gas NA, but does little to explain how a FI setup will work with the new engine. It will be interesting to see how the aftermarket responds to this and what the power figures will be on these cars with a little boost.

Excellent post.