Tungsten Grey Tungsten Grey 2006-2007 Mustang

Tungsten Grey alert!

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/05, 08:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before anyone jumps down my throat for this, keep in mind I have an 06 GT in tungsten grey on order, but after seeing one in person today in Oklahoma City I'm considering a color change. My wife and I both think the Tungsten Grey has a purple hue to it. It definately looks different depending on the light. We were looking at it just before dusk, maybe that was the reason. The salesman had the door opened and it appeared that the door had a definate purple hue to it and the rest of the car just looked metallic grey because of the direction of the sun. Anyone else have any thoughts on this. I'm not saying it's ugly, it's just different then I thought. If anyone has one on order, don't rely just on pics..........see one in person!!!!!!!

I have to back up here...........I looked at one again in a stripe shop as they were putting pewter stripes on it, really brightens up the car.......so although it may look somewhat purple, you need to see one with some stripes. I really over reacted when I first saw it and it caused me to change my order initially and then changed back to Tung. (see signature)
Old 8/22/05, 08:17 PM
Retired Tms Staff

hmmm, wonder if the laser tint is added to it as well, like on the Sonic Blue
Old 8/22/05, 08:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might it be that the paint is very reflective and the purple tint was just due to the color change in sky just before dusk?
Old 8/22/05, 08:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yeah Jsheehan, my wife and I thought it may just be the reflection of the sky too. I'm going back to look at it tomorrow at about noon. I gotta make a decision soon in case I change my order. I'll hope to have some more feedback tomorrow. Thanks for the replies
Old 8/22/05, 09:15 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If someone can tell me the exact ford paint code for tungsten I can try to find out exactly which and how many colors are mixed to get this hue.Dont forget there are many many colors mixed to get a hue.
Old 8/22/05, 09:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
The color seems to take on its surroundings somewhat. I gatherered more of a blue hue than purple when I seen it.
Old 8/22/05, 09:29 PM
AMG
V6 Member

Originally posted by Nagman@August 22, 2005, 11:18 PM
If someone can tell me the exact ford paint code for tungsten I can try to find out exactly which and how many colors are mixed to get this hue.Dont forget there are many many colors mixed to get a hue.
Tungsten paint code: T8
Old 8/22/05, 09:31 PM
Bullitt Member

the PPG code is 907364, I painted out a sample on a scrap of sheet metal, there are subtle hints of blue and red in the graphite, I really like the way it looks, I have the sample hanging on my shop wall just taunting me till my 06GT shows up!
Old 8/22/05, 09:38 PM

I just saw the Tungsten "in person" yesterday at a dealership, it was the middle of the afternoon - very sunny day. My first reaction...it had a purple hue to it, actually not that vivid, more subtle, like pale lavender. The paint is very metallic...and seemed to be lighter than most of the pictures I have seen posted previously. It did appear to change colors depending on what angle you were looking at it..even had a hint of blue in it. Nice color though.
Old 8/22/05, 10:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ok great replies. Let's me know I'm not going crazy. It might grow on me. Now I'm second guessing my silver stripes that I planned. I was using the show car as my guide........Any stripe color suggestions or do you think silver would still work?
Old 8/22/05, 10:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by OKLACOP@August 22, 2005, 10:11 PM
Any stripe color suggestions or do you think silver would still work?
I was thinking either black, satin silver, or some kind of lighter grey. I think black looks awesome on mineral grey, do you think it would work with tungsten?
Old 8/23/05, 07:10 AM
Cobra Member

clockworks, i DO believe black would work real well with TG, but I still like the silver stripes on this puppy.

And oklacop... if I struggled, I might have seen some lavender in TG. From all the threads I've read, I'm thinking it has a lot to do with objects around the car at the time of the viewing.

It's a tough call and I myself have flip flopped from TG to VB to LL and back again. Now that I've seen TG in person, that's my first choice. However the wife likes VB on the color chart, but neither of us has seen one in person. Will check out VB w/ 18" Fanblades before I send in my order...

As long as you Le Mans stripe this car with a fitting color, there is no wrong choice for base color for these cars. Good luck to you!

Oh, and by the way, it's because of the Jeckyl/Hyde properties that I love this color so much...
Old 8/23/05, 07:41 AM
GT Member

I have a GT on order in Tungsten, and my sales rep thought I might want to swing by to see the actual color (on a V6) in person.
So I stopped by the dealership at 7:30 last night to check it out.
The sun had just started to set, and I did notice an ever-so-slight purple tint to the grey.
I actually liked it, but it took me a second because it did not look exactly like the pictures I had seen thus far.
Now, I understand that, due to the amount of metallic flecks in the paint, the color does tend to take on subtle hues of the surrounding environment. I'm sure the brightness of the sky can also affect the color.
This is OK with me, because like I said, I don't mind the purplish tint. It is very very slight.
I would be interested in seeing this car on a bright sunny day, however, just to see how different the color will look in intense sunlight.
Old 8/23/05, 07:46 AM
GT Member

Oh, one more thing, I thought the color had a slight iridescent quality about it.
Old 8/23/05, 08:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

Can't speak regarding the TG but one reason I picked the Mineral Grey was that it did change hues. In bright sunlight, it has a bronze like look and when cloudy - grey
Old 8/23/05, 08:51 AM
Banned

I have seen this color in person , while the sun was setting, and it does indeed have a lavender ( purple) tint to it.

It is a very nice color though..........
Old 8/23/05, 09:57 AM
GT Member

Yes! It does! Took delivery of my Tungsten grey GT on the 16th! One great color! Yes it does have a very light hue of purple to it at certain parts of the day! but that is not a bad thing. Looks great to me! It really has a few different hues to it. At night it looks like dark shadow gray, at mid day it looks like a dark silver which is awesome, (bunch of metal flake) and at dusk it looks silver with the hint of purple. before I took delivery, I wanted the car to look just like the show car, (I defiantly think the show car and the production colors are different,) but, I could not be more happy whit this color!
Old 8/23/05, 10:40 AM
Bullitt Member

My girlfriend has a mazda 3 with the grey color. It has a purple hue to it also. I don't really like it. I like the titanium looking greys without any purple hue..purple seems girly to me. I think the perfect grey color is silverstone that the nissan Z has...

the mustang would look even hotter in this color. but to each his own..That's why I went with satin silver..not hues.
Old 8/23/05, 10:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Old 8/23/05, 10:11 PM
GT Member

I have a tungsten GT and if you look closely at the pictures of the show car on the main page of this website you can see a slight hue of purple on that car as well.....also im probably almost guarentee they have real bright and shiny lights displayed on that car.....and also when you look at the silver Ford GT that also has a little slight hue of purple...its an amazing color and i think u all will be satisfied when it arrives

Quick Reply: Tungsten Grey alert!