Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Speculation for 2008: Ford and Chrysler to merge?

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/07, 04:41 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
Jeep has nothing except the wrangler though.
That's all they want/need. Don't buy the company, with its baggage and excess capacity, just buy the brand/name rights and use them to field Jeeps based off a shortened F-150 platform or something.
Old 12/28/07, 07:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
I heard Gm Was Buying Chrysler!

Aye Carumba!
Now that would make sense
Old 12/28/07, 07:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
That's all they want/need. Don't buy the company, with its baggage and excess capacity, just buy the brand/name rights and use them to field Jeeps based off a shortened F-150 platform or something.
Ford has a long history with 'Jeep' type vehicles. They don't need to buy teh company to make a better 'Jeep'
As you point out possibly only the name, but ford could use their old name for the Jeep. (and the original name used by Ford before the *****'s effort came to be called 'Jeep') 'GP'
Old 12/28/07, 08:49 PM
FR500 Member

Maybe the (insert chinese name) car company will buy it - instant dealer/distribution network and access to technology, engines, & platforms that will save them a ton of R&D and/or costs of reverse-engineering to meet US safety standards... blah, blah, blah.
Old 12/30/07, 11:49 PM
Bullitt Member

didnt ford build jeeps back in the day for the war effort?

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_GP i found a wiki on it...i knew i wasnt insane....but nevertheless, the jeep brand has gotten watered down and more city oriented...sad
Old 12/31/07, 12:03 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RCSignals
Ford has a long history with 'Jeep' type vehicles. They don't need to buy teh company to make a better 'Jeep'
As you point out possibly only the name, but ford could use their old name for the Jeep. (and the original name used by Ford before the *****'s effort came to be called 'Jeep') 'GP'
Originally Posted by fordboy97f150
didnt ford build jeeps back in the day for the war effort?

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_GP i found a wiki on it...i knew i wasnt insane....but nevertheless, the jeep brand has gotten watered down and more city oriented...sad
Yes they did. The final production 'Jeep' awared to ****** was actually more like the Ford prototype than what ****** offered. ****** was too small to build enough so Ford also built the Jeep in WW2. I think they actually built more than ****** did.
Old 1/1/08, 01:21 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

They can't produce a "GP" without a crapstorm and lawsuit from whoever owns Jeep, not to mention that "Jeep" would still be the established nameplate and most consumers don't remember or give a **** about Jeeps from WW2. If the goal was simply to "out-Jeep Jeep" they could have done that decades ago, this is about harvesting a useful nameplate and niche vehicle if and when the current owner of said product puts it up for sale.
Old 1/1/08, 01:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
They can't produce a "GP" without a crapstorm and lawsuit from whoever owns Jeep, not to mention that "Jeep" would still be the established nameplate and most consumers don't remember or give a **** about Jeeps from WW2. If the goal was simply to "out-Jeep Jeep" they could have done that decades ago, this is about harvesting a useful nameplate and niche vehicle if and when the current owner of said product puts it up for sale.
****** never used 'GP' Ford did and has a precedence with that. I doubt it will be used though.

I think you are wrong about people's perception of Jeep and WW2. Jeep today even advertises/sells on that heritage, but you are correct in that there will always be some who are clueless about it.

Buying 'Jeep' would have been a better move for ford than the other purchases made under Nasser....the only one worth anything was Volvo.

We'll see what happens I guess, but right now the whole discussion is moot.
Old 1/1/08, 01:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RCSignals
Now that would make sense
I dunno 'bout that. GM arguably still has too many brands as it is, including the Hummer brand. No matter how I look at it I cannot find a 'good angle' from which the Jeep brand can be slotted into the GM lineup. IMO the same is a far more natural fit at Ford which is currently off-loading the Land Rover brand and which could further increase economies of scale through deft platform/component sharing with the Jeep brand without seriously stepping on either brands toes and while retaining a semblance of sanity regarding brand diversity.

However, since neither has the money for such a deal I can't see either absorbing the Jeep brand without more being involved in the trade than simple money.
Old 1/1/08, 03:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jsaylor
I dunno 'bout that. GM arguably still has too many brands as it is, including the Hummer brand. No matter how I look at it I cannot find a 'good angle' from which the Jeep brand can be slotted into the GM lineup. IMO the same is a far more natural fit at Ford which is currently off-loading the Land Rover brand and which could further increase economies of scale through deft platform/component sharing with the Jeep brand without seriously stepping on either brands toes and while retaining a semblance of sanity regarding brand diversity.

However, since neither has the money for such a deal I can't see either absorbing the Jeep brand without more being involved in the trade than simple money.
i was more referring to a GM/Chrysler merger...in that a Ford/Chrysler merger is the last thing Ford needs.

I agree though, Jeep would be a better fit for Ford, as I said, a better move for Ford than the other purchases made under Nasser. (which are mostly having to be sold off now)
Old 1/1/08, 03:38 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's like a vultures convention around here...

Old 1/4/08, 03:23 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Star
Really? No minivan, no mid-size truck, no real competitor to 300 and Charger and Shelby Mustang is a joke compared to Viper.
Was it ever intended to be a viper beater? I cant remeber Ford touting the GT500 as an anything beater. Methinks it was designed to hold onto the crown the Terminator claimed in the pony wars.