Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

So Long SVT

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/06, 11:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boomer @ March 9, 2006, 9:47 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I agree....

And really.. people didn't have to know what the car or vehicle was...
If it was an SVT...it was TOP DOG in that vehicle..

You knew it performed, you knew it was exclusive, and you knew it was a GREAT value compared to say the Saleen.

It's amazing what 3 small letters on the back of the car can represent.
It's like the INTEL inside of Fords....

It's too bad that even if ford does tear it down and merge whats left into FRT, that they wouldn't keep SVT as a staple on that vehicle.
Brand Identity is SO important.

I would rather they keep the SVT line... ..............
[/b][/quote]

Great post. In the thread addressing this located in the 07 GT500 section I gave my position on why I have never really been a fan of SVT as a marketing tool for several reasons even though I usually liked their cars. I think your post gave what is likely the most common opposing viewpoint and I'm glad to see it.

I am old school and felt much the same way about monikers like Shelby, Boss, and Cosworth as you do about SVT as commented on in your post above. When I heard that there was going to be a GT500 in the lineup my first thought was....if it's not the most powerful Mustang in the line and a Grand Touring machine in the truest sense of the word just don't bother. I would feel the same way toward a Boss 302 revival relative to handling. As I said before in my other post I have often felt that these legendary monikers were either ignored or marginalized because of the dominance of SVT within the Ford performance lineup

However, I can see why you feel the same way about SVT. I am not against the continuation of SVT, but as mentioned in my other post I do wonder if a reality check wasn't in order and that may be exactly what this is. At times I think decisions have been made based on what relatively powerful people within the SVT organization wanted and not on what Ford...or Mercury needed. That is just bad business.

Many thing have caused me to raise my eyebrows over the years. The Marauder debacle and the associated "we don't do Mercury's attitude". The concept of a SVT model to slot above the GT500 (I found this suspect because I cannot believe anyone outside of SVT authorized or asked for this giuven Ford's current situation. And IMO this was likely a "renegade" project....if I were an exec at Ford I would be less than pleased about this) even issues like valve covers that say "powered by SVT" What? Are we too good to say Ford SVT now?

In fact...that is the impression I was getting. There seemed to me to be a bit of Olds Aurora syndrome in SVT. Just like that car was distanced from Oldsmobile SVT seemed to be growing further and further away from Ford. And just like the Aurora was a great success that did very little for Olds largely because of that disassociation I found myself wondering if SVT's distance from Ford undermined their very reason for being....to help Ford. The impression for me stopped being "we are Ford's elite and tune Ford's good products into great ones" and became more like "we fix the crap Ford sends our way and the rest of Fords high performance history stinks or at least takes a back seat to us".

There seemed to be nearly zero flexibility and very little of a "were here to help Ford attitude" within the culture that had developed at SVT. I think HTT is awesome and had hoped that he could turn SVT back into the organization that I believe it began as and has strayed far from. I wonder if the above is accurate and the culture of independence at SVT had grown past the point of no return or if my assumptions regarding the changes made recently are incorrect altogether?

Also, I wonder how many people feel the way you do about SVT, and how many feel the way I do about that same organization?
Old 3/11/06, 02:08 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I read your other post, and I have to say I agree with the 'we're too good' attitude.

That shouldn't be what its about, but turned into.

In the same way the SRT line is Dodge/Chrysler... the SVT line should have been for all Ford products.
GM has a different way in that each of their products have a seperate alphabet soup to go along with their products.
Chevy has the Z-codes and SS moniker.
Pontiac has the GTP and now GXP

It is too bad it went the way it did, when it could have gone down such a different road.
But is it too late for them to salvage the good parts...while leaving the boo boos in the dust
Old 3/11/06, 07:44 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ March 11, 2006, 3:01 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That's because you can't drive. I wouldn't base my opinion on a car without driving it and experiencing how the car reacts. The S197 chassis is light years ahead of any previous Mustang, but I guess that doesn't impress you.
[/b][/quote]

I expierenced the reaction...or lack their off imo.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boomer @ March 11, 2006, 9:38 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I think it dates back to dougs...unimpressed 'Stand on the gas pedal, and can't spin the tires' feeling when he was with his uncle (or other family member)

I've driven a Auto 05-GT and I can't say it was lethargic....
but just like the Manual..it has to get up in RPMs to take off
[/b][/quote]
Yep, it was my uncle and yup, you're right. its not like it hooked and launched, it was like a civic launch. vreroooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOM...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ March 11, 2006, 11:21 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Spinning tires = slow.
[/b][/quote]
spinning tires proves power, it doesnt eqaul slow, it eqauls high ET
Old 3/11/06, 08:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fordracing200 @ March 11, 2006, 8:47 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I expierenced the reaction...or lack their off imo.

spinning tires proves power, it doesnt eqaul slow, it eqauls high ET
[/b][/quote]

The reaction? Again, you have no clue what the car feels like until you drive it. My friend's 460rwhp Twin Turbo 350Z is deceiving from the passenger seat.

Spinning tires prove nothing. A car that spins the tires isn't achieving its potential. The S197's hook well from the factory, hence why it doesn't spin the tires. I still can't believe you base an opinion on being a passenger. Also, you need to learn a bit more kid if you think it was like a Civic launch [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]