Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

So Long SVT

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/06, 03:42 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Knight @ March 3, 2006, 1:36 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
so you think coletti would have let the same thing happen?
[/b][/quote]
Absolutely not.

Mr. Coletti had passion for SVT, catered to its following, and was loyal. It was HTT who took the first shot with a purpose. That was a hint of things to come. It all makes sense now.

Large companies always have a crowned pitbull assigned to alliniate and attack what's in their path and plans. History has come full circle but in a very ironic way. It was Ford who gave Shelby the boot because they developed the Mustang to the point where Shelby was not needed. Now it's Shelby giving Ford a helping hand to diminish SVT.

"Revenge is best when served cold". The old cliche applies.
Old 3/3/06, 04:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1 BULLITT @ March 3, 2006, 4:45 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Absolutely not.

Mr. Coletti had passion for SVT, catered to its following, and was loyal. It was HTT who took the first shot with a purpose. That was a hint of things to come. It all makes sense now.

Large companies always have a crowned pitbull assigned to alliniate and attack what's in their path and plans. History has come full circle but in a very ironic way. It was Ford who gave Shelby the boot because they developed the Mustang to the point where Shelby was not needed. Now it's Shelby giving Ford a helping hand to diminish SVT.

[/b][/quote]

Huh? It doesn't matter whom was in charge, that's not the cause.
Old 3/3/06, 07:24 PM

Character, commitment and a man's word might not be stylish on the present day, but they do matter.
Old 3/3/06, 07:47 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1 BULLITT @ March 3, 2006, 9:27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Character, commitment and a man's word might not be stylish on the present day, but they do matter.
[/b][/quote]

Blasphemy, I tell you!!

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 3/3/06, 09:41 PM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1 BULLITT @ March 3, 2006, 5:45 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Absolutely not.

[/b][/quote]
i agree... Colletti was the man, he was one of those race fuel in his veins kind of all out guys who was passionate about svt.....I HATE what ford has done putting that two faced Carroll Shelby's name on SVT's creation!
Old 3/3/06, 09:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The SVT Fusion wasn't supposed to come out for 3 more years anyways, you can pretty much call it dead.

I just read yesterday that Ford had planned to build a Mach 1 and a Bullitt version of the new Stang but cancelled them.

Basically if you want a performance car from Ford, you have the Mustang, that's it.

And don't expect anything else in the near future either (10 years or so).

And to those that think otherwise, where's the Beef? Can you prove what I say is wrong?

Very disappointed... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fordracing200 @ March 3, 2006, 8:44 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
i agree... Colletti was the man, he was one of those race fuel in his veins kind of all out guys who was passionate about svt.....I HATE what ford has done putting that two faced Carroll Shelby's name on SVT's creation!
[/b][/quote]

I used to talk to Colletti out here in Ca at the Ford show at Knott's every year, he was the man, I knew things were going to get bad when he retired. If he was running the show at Ford we'd probably have SVT vehicles of every Ford car and truck that would blow Mopar's SRT's off the road.

We can only dream now. Ford has become the American Toyota, builder of appliance cars and trucks.
Old 3/3/06, 10:30 PM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Black331 @ March 3, 2006, 11:55 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The SVT Fusion wasn't supposed to come out for 3 more years anyways, you can pretty much call it dead.

I just read yesterday that Ford had planned to build a Mach 1 and a Bullitt version of the new Stang but cancelled them.

Basically if you want a performance car from Ford, you have the Mustang, that's it.

And don't expect anything else in the near future either (10 years or so).

And to those that think otherwise, where's the Beef? Can you prove what I say is wrong?
Very disappointed... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]
I used to talk to Colletti out here in Ca at the Ford show at Knott's every year, he was the man, I knew things were going to get bad when he retired. If he was running the show at Ford we'd probably have SVT vehicles of every Ford car and truck that would blow Mopar's SRT's off the road.
We can only dream now. Ford has become the American Toyota, builder of appliance cars and trucks.
[/b][/quote]
what did colletti have to say about what will happen when he retires? I am very much sick of ford letting idiots run the mustang, its a bad to the bone car, and i dont really think imo that HTT understands what it means, i am not demeaning him, its just that i think he'd be better off with the ford five hundred or something, we need some more performance oriented people to run the mustang, not people like shelby (idiot) or HTT. Also, the 2003-04 cobra definied everything i loved about mustangs, nothing compares to it, the looks, the power, the growl, and the insane power bolt-ons make, they all reminded me of my fathers/uncles/friends mustangs. Ford has now lost that for me, the first time i saw an 05 my uncle revved it and below 3k rpm it sounded like a freaking minivan, all whoom and no ROAR, and then the lack of power/tire smoke didnt really impress me. Ford is going downhill fast.... SVT going bye-bye is really saddening....
Old 3/4/06, 12:09 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1 BULLITT @ March 3, 2006, 8:27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Doesn't mean jack if there is no money. Ford isn't a pro-bono company.
Old 3/4/06, 04:16 AM

The SVT brand is strong, limited but strong. Ford will keep the brand but most likely use the Chrysler model, SRT, to bring its performance vehicles more into mainstream production. That may greatly improve the number of vehicles available. Let's face it, in the last few years SVT has been more a ghost than reality - nothing coming down the assembly line.
Old 3/4/06, 05:38 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gt5001 @ March 4, 2006, 7:19 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The SVT brand is strong, limited but strong. Ford will keep the brand but most likely use the Chrysler model, SRT, to bring its performance vehicles more into mainstream production. That may greatly improve the number of vehicles available. Let's face it, in the last few years SVT has been more a ghost than reality - nothing coming down the assembly line.
[/b][/quote]

I couldn't agree more, in order to survive Ford has to change it's structure to be set up like DC's SRT. In the long run it will pay off, it is the next logical step for Ford if it wants to continue to compete with the competition. I believe that by consolidating ,it will give them the ablity to have more input on all models that Ford produces. Look at DC , they have a performance version of their up and comming models even before they are out. It would be great if ford would do that. Imagine a High performance 4WD Fusion option when you go to order a Fusion. I hope I'm right ,the potential is there we have to be patient thats all.
Old 3/4/06, 07:33 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok When John left SVT what was the very first thing that happened.. Ford killed the SVT halo car/truck the Lightning. Now ford has just the Shebly...They killed the Adenalin. If JC was still around that wouldn't have happened at least not without a fight.
Lets put it this way..if Ford wants to make thier company not loose money then ditch SVT all together. There is no way that SVT was a money making proposition. I'd be willing to bet that Ford has been hemmoraging money with SVT since day one. Now that being said SVT was not created to make money. SVT was created to create performance vehicles. If the top brass at ford actually thought that SVT would make them a ton of cash they were/are dead wrong.
SVT's profit was in PR. So if that is the way it is then you have two options. Get rid of the money loosing proposition or make it a PR boon. Basically I think they are going to try a little of both. With JC out of the picture they can restructure and reorganize with little to no opposition. So now they take SVT and religate it to a few little token projects.
Their excuse for not making the adrenalin is an extremely week one. "no market for it" If you look at it there is no (real money making) market for the GT500 either. SVT wasn't about a market to sell to, it was catering to the performance nut, and i for one started to see the decline when JC left.

I'm not saying that Ford is wrong for doing what they are doing. IN the grand scheme it is probably the right choice. But don't kid yourselves and think that SVT will ever been the same again.

just my .02
Old 3/4/06, 07:38 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ March 4, 2006, 2:12 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
... Ford isn't a pro-bono company.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for enlightening us on an obscured subject matter none of us knew about.
From now on we'll rely on your expert knowledge to keep up to date. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/4/06, 07:40 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Theres a joke there but a family board wont permit it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
Old 3/4/06, 07:44 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ March 4, 2006, 1:12 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Doesn't mean jack if there is no money. Ford isn't a pro-bono company.
[/b][/quote]
Your looking at ford if its run by a computer...no its built by men with emotions. Coletti had a passion and charisma that you don't find in HTT. I'm sure if Coletti in the mix Ford wouldn't have been able to trample over SVT like they are with HTT running it.
Old 3/4/06, 08:04 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm sure SVT's budget and R/D funds were a lot more than say the SRT model.

SRT is basically a basic 'take base car, add engine/looks/parts'

Same kinda thing as an SVT vehicle, however... Dodge could stretch that over all the SRT line.

SVT only had around 2-3 vehicles at a time.
SRT has built up an army of vehicles that could absorb that cost.

They have their halo engines that they can throw around:
- 5.7 Hemi
- 6.1 Hemi
- Viper Engine

Viper engine being in the Vipers, SRT-10 Rams x 2
6.1 Hemi in the SRT-8 configurations
5.7 Hemi the R/T configurations
few exceptions for the SRT-6 and SRT-4s where engines were soley for those cars.

GM kinda has the same idea with its LSx series of engines.
They are used in everything from Vettes, Camaro's Firebirds, GTO's, SSRs.

SVT if I can remember back, always used 1 at a time...
Waste of R/D resources.
The lightning engine, only in the lightning
The Cobra engine, only in the cobra.
There could have been a bunch of kickin applications to re-use and spread the wealth and soften the blow.

4.6 4v S/C engine could have been used in an SVT Explorer, Sport Trac, Cobra, Maurader, 500 (if it fit) etc
Obviously it costs money to retrofit the parts into those vehicles and the testing etc....but SVT could have competed with SRT if Ford let them.

I just hope it doesn't mean the end of performance vehicles.
SVT maybe be on the way out, but lets hope that say a copy of FPV from down under will continue to make great vehicles.
Old 3/4/06, 08:30 AM
Cam Tease

SVT should be a ten man operation completely dedicated to refining the terminator motor and plugging it into any vehicle where it makes sense. Of course in order for that to work, Ford would need a crop of RWD "normal production" car. Too bad were stuck with a bunch of relatively new front drivers.

Whatever though, if Ford produced a terminator-powered Mach 1 for $32k, my life would be like 7/8ths complete.
Old 3/4/06, 10:33 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Knight @ March 4, 2006, 8:47 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Your looking at ford if its run by a computer...no its built by men with emotions. Coletti had a passion and charisma that you don't find in HTT. I'm sure if Coletti in the mix Ford wouldn't have been able to trample over SVT like they are with HTT running it.
[/b][/quote]

Ford is a business, do you know how a business works? You can have 10 John Coletti's running SVT right now, but Ford doesn't have the money to support the program. Have you guys read Ford's way forward plan that entails cutting up to 30K jobs and 14 plants??? Or how about the 1.6 billion net loss in N/A???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1 BULLITT @ March 4, 2006, 8:41 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks for enlightening us on an obscured subject matter none of us knew about.
From now on we'll rely on your expert knowledge to keep up to date. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

And thanks for arguing about somthing that has nothing to do with the subject at hand. I'll rely on you expert knowledge on charachter [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boomer @ March 4, 2006, 9:07 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'm sure SVT's budget and R/D funds were a lot more than say the SRT model.

SRT is basically a basic 'take base car, add engine/looks/parts'

Same kinda thing as an SVT vehicle, however... Dodge could stretch that over all the SRT line.

SVT only had around 2-3 vehicles at a time.
SRT has built up an army of vehicles that could absorb that cost.

They have their halo engines that they can throw around:
- 5.7 Hemi
- 6.1 Hemi
- Viper Engine

Viper engine being in the Vipers, SRT-10 Rams x 2
6.1 Hemi in the SRT-8 configurations
5.7 Hemi the R/T configurations
few exceptions for the SRT-6 and SRT-4s where engines were soley for those cars.

GM kinda has the same idea with its LSx series of engines.
They are used in everything from Vettes, Camaro's Firebirds, GTO's, SSRs.

SVT if I can remember back, always used 1 at a time...
Waste of R/D resources.
The lightning engine, only in the lightning
The Cobra engine, only in the cobra.
There could have been a bunch of kickin applications to re-use and spread the wealth and soften the blow.

4.6 4v S/C engine could have been used in an SVT Explorer, Sport Trac, Cobra, Maurader, 500 (if it fit) etc
Obviously it costs money to retrofit the parts into those vehicles and the testing etc....but SVT could have competed with SRT if Ford let them.

I just hope it doesn't mean the end of performance vehicles.
SVT maybe be on the way out, but lets hope that say a copy of FPV from down under will continue to make great vehicles.
[/b][/quote]

Great Post!

SRT also has a bunch of RWD platforms to work on. SRT also has used AMG's assitance in product development. The two performance divisions actually work together to contract mutual parts, such as Brembo brakes.

I don't think Ford can follow SRT's model right now. Like you stated they don't have the engines and don't have the platforms to take the "SVT" brand mainstream. Maybe someday Ford will give us a true competitor to the Hemi and LS series engines and a few more RWD platforms.
Old 3/4/06, 10:45 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ March 4, 2006, 11:36 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ford is a business, do you know how a business works? You can have 10 John Coletti's running SVT right now, but Ford doesn't have the money to support the program. Have you guys read Ford's way forward plan that entails cutting up to 30K jobs and 14 plants??? Or how about the 1.6 billion net loss in N/A???
[/b][/quote]

Thats pretty sad to see a business like that loss its emotion and starts thinking purly in numbers.

If i wanted a company like that i'd buy a toyota.
Old 3/4/06, 10:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Knight @ March 4, 2006, 11:48 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thats pretty sad to see a business like that loss its emotion and starts thinking purly in numbers.

If i wanted a company like that i'd buy a toyota.
[/b][/quote]

That's business. Ford still has emotion, but that emotion needs to be in its mainstream cars. If Ford can start building better cars that are profitable, I have no doubts that SVT will be back one day better than ever. HTT is getting a bashed in this thread for no reason. It's not his fault and we all know that he has a passion. Anyone whom disagrees should take a look at the S197.
Old 3/4/06, 11:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ March 4, 2006, 1:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That's business. Ford still has emotion, but that emotion needs to be in its mainstream cars. If Ford can start building better cars that are profitable, I have no doubts that SVT will be back one day better than ever. HTT is getting a bashed in this thread for no reason. It's not his fault and we all know that he has a passion. Anyone whom disagrees should take a look at the S197.
[/b][/quote]

Ford absolutely needs to produce some mainstream vehicles that make a profit. as great a division as SVT is, it is a small entity that produces little to no profit. because it produces very little tangible money for the Ford company, business sense says it will be the first to go. the upper level management at ford, and all car companies for that matter, envision the big picture, and if a tiny, unprofitable division that produces low-volume vehicle can be cut, they will unfortunately do it to raise their stock a quarter point.
when ford makes money again, management will stop trying to find programs to cut to save money. i loved colletti and all he did for SVT, but i dont know how much he could have done to save SVT from the corporate axe.

Quick Reply: So Long SVT