Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Lincoln MKS

Search this Thread

Old 1/12/06, 09:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by KWMJ-KTP@January 12, 2006, 5:15 AM
Not sure if the engine will stay, but I would think that it would since it is a production engine already.

A very nice package I think.
I like the engine choice. The 4.6L 3v or a updated 4.6L 4V engine with VVT making 330ish hp would be nice.
Old 1/16/06, 01:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Moosetang@January 10, 2006, 1:31 AM
I like it alot. Eurasian sedans are kicking Linc's butt and unless they want to go the design-by-crayon approach like Caddy this is the way they have to go. I hope this hits production soon and does the brand proud.

I wonder if the V8 here is an indicator that a V8 500 is getting closer to reality.

I like it a lot too.... my first impression was that Lincoln's goin' after the Cadillac CTS. I think that car looks really sharp... so this is a good look in my opinion... gives a fresh look to Lincoln. They've needed a change form the bubbly look of the 90's for a long time... they haven't changed much more than the lights in their appearence for a long time
Old 1/20/06, 09:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I kind of passed over this concept with all the hubub on the ford products. But I have combed over this vehicle with the high res pics and I can tell you this vehicle is darn near production level. For years of studying concept cars, the interior equipment and build techniques are so different then a typical concept. There are so many production pices(both current car parts and current production-type parts) used it really looks like they just need to say "go" for it to happen. I think Lincoln may slip this out almost as-is in a very short time frame.

If you stray away from normal 'concept' car type details-use the Mustang concept for example-way into production studies and decisions yet the concept used none of the stock car's type hardware. I sat in it, it looked built from scratch, with no prodo parts. The closest concept I have seen lately to production was the Freestyle a few years ago and it still had many 'hand made' parts abound.

LOOK carefully at this cars interior:
-Every button is labled, details like the shut-offs built into the vent bezels
-gauges exactly on par with produceable faces and needles
-a KEY hole on the glove box lock
-production level seats that are not from another car or aftermarket seat company
-integrated dash dimmer in the light switch with a trunk release button
-production level speaker grilles that are post bean-counter level of finish
-the standard wiper stalk, colored AND labeled
-extremely high-finish center console with prodo-type trim, nothing off the wall at all
-finished shifter indicators with molded flushed-in finish(not cut up from plastic in a design studio)
-the grille details are EXACTLY as done on a production car, no fancy billet anywhere on the exterior or interior-although the rotors are drilled, there's no crazy size rotor
-wheels are production type moulds, simplified in bean-counter fashion taken from a mold, not milled from a blank like a show wheel with a factory GY GSA, what show car uses standard equipment tires?
-the car has a friggin tilt-out map pocket in the door
-simplified front and rear facias that meet right where they would on a production car
-a production-type fuel filler door
-fancy-but doable lighting units, nothing more over the top then a stock fusion.

Nothing on this car is over the top, everything is production feesable, even the bumpers look ready for an insurance test. The Shelby barely looks more sorted out then this car.

I have NEVER seen such a finished 'concept', ever, even when the actual production model was ready already. This is as finished as the Sport Trac interior, when the Explorer was already fully tested and the interior in the show car is 100% IDENTICAL to production. This car even has door handles for crying out loud, the ST was much more far-fetched but still a ringer for the truck we get this year.

Check it out in detail here:
http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Car.php?carnumber=853

And really look at the pictures. This car is ready to go NOW.
Old 1/21/06, 12:50 PM
Cobra R Member

i totally agree kevin. very down to earth for a concept car. I'm hoping we'll see this next year as a 2008, which is i think when they've been saying they'll have a new big lincoln.
Old 1/23/06, 01:11 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I definitely think this is a great design direction for Lincoln. Just two observations:

There isn't really one design language for these vehicles. The MKS concept looks terrific, but the new Lincoln CUV has the grille from a 60s Continental. And the Zephyr is quite different from this MKS. Lincoln should go with the MKS design language, then develop a smaller - IS350 sized - version using that same design language to compete with Lexus and Bimmer's 3-Series.

The interior still doesn't look up to Lexus/Infiniti/Acura levels to me, and it's especially noticable with the gauges. They look like they were designed and built by Timex! The MKS sedan is the exception - if the interior makes it to production just like that - which I doubt it will with all that chrome trim. But again, not sure about the gauges in that either. Are they LED or what?

It's not going to be enough to just be 8/10s as good as the import competition - Ford needs to be right there with them neck and neck...or better still, BEAT THEM, if it hopes to steal their business in any meaningful way.

IMHO, Ford needs to start adopting a "Play to Win" mindset...not a "play to a draw" mentality. The higher one sets the bar, the higher one will hit. Ford should be trying to build BETTER vehicles than Lexus...not "just as good." If they do that, then they might have a chance of turning out a product that is "just as good" in a few short years.
Old 1/24/06, 02:43 PM
Cobra R Member

other ford's?