Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Old 6/8/12, 06:56 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Me want.
Old 7/23/12, 10:30 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Bronco update...

4" front lift is on. Haven't touched the back yet.
Gary's ***Project Bronco***-image-20828223.jpg

New motor, intake, CAI, radiator, alternator, dizzy, coil, wires, throttle body, brake booster, master cylinder, steering box, motor mounts, and so on are all in
Gary's ***Project Bronco***-image-131194085.jpg

New Warn manual hubs...
Gary's ***Project Bronco***-image-3607635670.jpg

Also put in an additional external Trans filter and cooler and a oil cooler. Redid all the battery and ground wires with 4# and 1/0.

Exhaust arrived Wednesday. Full Bassani from headers to tail pipe.

Also got a rear disc upgrade going on when I left the rear on new 4" lift leaf springs. No blocks.

And when it's all done 35s all around.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 7/23/12 at 10:31 PM.
Old 7/23/12, 10:50 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 587 Likes on 421 Posts
How much did that cost? I could definitely use an extra 4 inches.
Old 7/23/12, 10:52 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
How much did that cost? I could definitely use an extra 4 inches.
Well the labor was free

And it's cheaper than another car. In two years I get a pretty nice Bronco back from Regan.

My wife could probably enjoy 4 more inches. But I'm fine.
Old 7/23/12, 10:55 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Well the labor was free

And it's cheaper than another car. In two years I get a pretty nice Bronco back from Regan.

My wife could probably enjoy 4 more inches. But I'm fine.
I hate to say it, but I don't want to be sexist and everyone would say it if that was for your son...

Can you imagine how much tail she's going to get with a rig like that in Texas?

Sorry Gary, just kidding.
Old 7/23/12, 10:58 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

I hate to say it, but I don't want to be sexist and everyone would say it if that was for your son...

Can you imagine how much tail she's going to get with a rig like that in Texas?

Sorry Gary, just kidding.
FML

She doesn't need the Broncos help. She gets her looks from her mother.
Old 7/24/12, 05:44 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bronco update...
Nice. Lotta work there.
Old 7/24/12, 05:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Lookin' sharp Gary!
Old 7/24/12, 04:30 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
OJ is looking awesome Gary, nice work brother!
Old 7/24/12, 09:08 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beautiful truck.
Old 7/24/12, 11:53 PM
Post *****

Well I started it even though the suspension isn't finished and too my surprise I had a sticking starter. It did stop when I turned the ignition off though. So after tinkering a bit and checking the flex plate and starter gear for damage I replaced the starter relay on the fender and it cured it.

Got a brake fluid leak from one of the ports on the master cylinder thats annoying the crap out of me.

Oil pressure is good though and timing seems to be right though I have not checked it yet. We will see about that. Only throws one code which I was afraid of. The Crank position sensor. Which is annoying because I had a feeling it would happen. The harmonic dampener was not exactly the same as the one that came off. The old one was thrown a bit and you could see the timing part of it had slipped on the crank part. Well the old one had a 4 point star type of thing that passed by the CPS and the new one did not. I also could not remove that piece and put it on the new one, so I will have to see if I can live with that of find the correct one and replace it.

Also need to get the power steering fluid level right and the ATF fluid. Supposed to take 16 quarts stock but I added a deeper pan and an external cooler and filter and this should have increased the fluid required to 24 quarts. I've put 20 in after starting it and working through the gears a few times but I have not actually driven it.

Lots of little things to do. But its getting there. I hope.
Old 7/25/12, 12:04 AM
Post *****

Well I started it .... I replaced the starter relay on the fender and it cured it.
I've had 2 or 3 of those fail the last 10 yrs on the F150.

Got a brake fluid leak from one of the ports on the master cylinder thats annoying the crap out of me.
A flaw in the face of the end fitting in the port? A simple filing?

I was wondering if I missed where you started it. Good to hear. I love that moment! lol
Old 7/27/12, 05:25 PM
Post *****

Well its still not on the road yet. I got the lift kit completely installed. Looks awesome now. But my one CEL is the CPS or crank position sensor. So I did a little research and here's the issue. My harmonic balancer was thrown so to speak and the rubber that attaches the outer imbalance ring to the inner part that mount on the snout was cracked and stuff. As a matter of fact the two pieces separated almost completely when I removed it from the old motor. So I needed a replacement. OK fine got online and ordered one from Rock Auto weeks ago and installed it. Well I knew when I was putting it on that it was wrong. And should have stopped there. This was the one item in the whole engine reinstall that didn't go exactly like it should. From 1981-1995 Ford made a balancer for the 351w exactly like the replacement part I got. But the problem is in 1996 the balancer was different. And it was different in 1996 only. There was an extra skirt or so behind the balancer for a factory installed tone ring for the crank position sensor (misfire sensor) Ford decided to mount down on the timing cover aimed at the toner ring behind the balancer. MAybe it was for OBD-II or who knows why but this was the only year they did it. OBD-II came into effect in 1996 and by 1997 the Bronco was gone and the F-150s were getting 4.6 and 5.4 engines.

So using the Bronco forums I've tracked down a guy in California or Oregon I don't know which honestly and he will rebuild the original balancer. That's the only solution. He might have one that's ready to go, otherwise I'm gonna have to send mine in to get it redone, or pull one from junkyard from a '96 F series truck or E series van or Bronco of course.

So there it is. Still need to check timing and get the **** master cylinder from leaking out of the back brake port.
Old 7/27/12, 05:30 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
What is the deal with the balancer? How is it different from every other small block Ford balancer?
Old 7/27/12, 05:43 PM
Post *****

Basically it has a tone ring attached to it that no others have. And if you buy a balancer for a 95 or earlier there is no where to mount the tone ring. That's basically it.

I'll get a pic of the old one here in a bit.
Old 7/27/12, 05:47 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Basically it has a tone ring attached to it that no others have. And if you buy a balancer for a 95 or earlier there is no where to mount the tone ring. That's basically it.

Man that sucks. I'm guessing all motors before yours have the regular balancer too.
Old 7/27/12, 05:58 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Man that sucks. I'm guessing all motors before yours have the regular balancer too.
Old 7/27/12, 06:00 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Well its still not on the road yet. I got the lift kit completely installed. Looks awesome now. But my one CEL is the CPS or crank position sensor. So I did a little research and here's the issue. My harmonic balancer was thrown so to speak and the rubber that attaches the outer imbalance ring to the inner part that mount on the snout was cracked and stuff. As a matter of fact the two pieces separated almost completely when I removed it from the old motor. So I needed a replacement. OK fine got online and ordered one from Rock Auto weeks ago and installed it. Well I knew when I was putting it on that it was wrong. And should have stopped there. This was the one item in the whole engine reinstall that didn't go exactly like it should. From 1981-1995 Ford made a balancer for the 351w exactly like the replacement part I got. But the problem is in 1996 the balancer was different. And it was different in 1996 only. There was an extra skirt or so behind the balancer for a factory installed tone ring for the crank position sensor (misfire sensor) Ford decided to mount down on the timing cover aimed at the toner ring behind the balancer. MAybe it was for OBD-II or who knows why but this was the only year they did it. OBD-II came into effect in 1996 and by 1997 the Bronco was gone and the F-150s were getting 4.6 and 5.4 engines.

So using the Bronco forums I've tracked down a guy in California or Oregon I don't know which honestly and he will rebuild the original balancer. That's the only solution. He might have one that's ready to go, otherwise I'm gonna have to send mine in to get it redone, or pull one from junkyard from a '96 F series truck or E series van or Bronco of course.

So there it is. Still need to check timing and get the **** master cylinder from leaking out of the back brake port.
Sounds just like the type of **** that always happens to me. Of the millions out there, the one part I'm working on will be some oddball **** on mine.
Old 7/27/12, 07:12 PM
Post *****

Why didn't it come with a balancer from the engine builder?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gary's ***Project Bronco***