Ford Objects to Chevy Silverado Super Bowl Ad

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/12, 06:16 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Objects to Chevy Silverado Super Bowl Ad

http://wot.motortrend.com/video-find...ch-165285.html

Update: Apparently, the folks over at Ford had an issue with the Chevy Silverado SuperBowl ad. The General Motors spot, called “2012″ (watch it below), takes a playful swipe at Ford as building trucks that wouldn’t be able to survive an apocalypse.
On the eve of the Super Bowl, Ford lawyers asked GM and NBC, which aired the football game, to cancel or modify the commercial. The Blue Oval felt the spot unfairly painted the F-Series pickup truck in a negative light, especially by asserting that owners of those trucks would die in a natural disaster.
According to The Detroit News, a Ford lawyer wrote, “Ford demands that Chevrolet immediately cease and desist from making any unsubstantiated and disparaging claims regarding Ford’s pickup trucks… Ford will take all appropriate steps to enforce and protect its reputation.”
Neither GM nor NBC altered the ad, which was shown during the second quarter of last night’s game.
A Ford spokesman told us today that the company disagrees with the durability and longevity claims of the commercials, noting that the F-150 has been America’s best-selling truck for 35 years, and that the brand has more trucks on the road with over 250,000 miles than any other manufacturer. He also noted that, unlike the Chevrolet Silverado, the Ford F-150 was recognized as a Top Safety Pick by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
GM released a statement standing behind the “2012″ commercial, calling it “good-humored” and refusing to back down from the longevity claims. The company characterized its ad as “completely over-the-top, outrageous.”
“We stand by our claims in the commercial, that the Silverado is the most dependable, longest-lasting full-size pickup on the road. The ad is a fun way of putting this claim in the context of the apocalypse,” said General Motors Global Chief Marketing Officer Joel Ewanick said in the press release. “We can wait until the world ends, and if we need to, we will apologize. In the meantime, people who are really worried about the Mayan calendar coming true should buy a Silverado right away.”

Old 2/6/12, 06:22 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think its funny as heck and I find the response to be even better. Good work GM on doing something I like.

if you want to think of it another way ford should make a follow up ad that shows all the ford owners being raptured and look down on the chevy guys while they meet up.

Last edited by Flagstang; 2/6/12 at 06:25 PM.
Old 2/6/12, 06:25 PM
V6 Member

It is only a commercial, for god's sake. Ford should make a commercial and tell Chevy to go pound sand.
Old 2/6/12, 06:26 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I think fords sales number already tells them to
pound sand
Old 2/6/12, 06:55 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
as a quote from the Jalopnik comments..."I'd like to see Chevy make it through a financial apocalypse" lol

That commercial is just begging for a Raptor to be edited in, blasting over the carnage.
Old 2/6/12, 07:34 PM
Bullitt Member

i was just telling my chevy buddy earlier today " i think that chevy used bailout money to pay for that commercial and ford is using there own money for research and development" haha.
Old 2/6/12, 08:21 PM
Cobra R Member

If your number 1 let number 2 take jabs at you who cares? Do you think Coca Cola complains about Pepsi bashing them every year in the Super Bowl? No, because Coca Cola crushes them in sales every year... GM has always picked on Ford in commercials instead of getting ticked off I'd jab back with a commercial talking about not taking bailout money unlike GM and Chrysler... Ford should relax
Old 2/6/12, 08:25 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
That commercial was awesomeness!
Old 2/6/12, 08:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by onebadvert
i was just telling my chevy buddy earlier today " i think that chevy used bailout money to pay for that commercial and ford is using there own money for research and development" haha.
I was saying the same thing to a friend earlier...
Old 2/6/12, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
If your number 1 let number 2 take jabs at you who cares? Do you think Coca Cola complains about Pepsi bashing them every year in the Super Bowl? No, because Coca Cola crushes them in sales every year... GM has always picked on Ford in commercials instead of getting ticked off I'd jab back with a commercial talking about not taking bailout money unlike GM and Chrysler... Ford should relax
i agree.maybe they are just " trying to be the bigger man" idk. but its all in fun.i take jabs at my chevy buddies all the time. but deep down inside i appreciate that they are driving american made.just dont tell them that.
Old 2/6/12, 09:09 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Lately Chevy doesn't even advertise their own vehicles ... all they do is talk crap about Ford. It's not even "Buy Chevy", its more like "Don't buy Ford".
Old 2/6/12, 09:25 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

sounds like they found a better idea then what they were doing
Old 2/6/12, 09:35 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Well, I expect an apocalypse to happen long before we ever get all of our ****ing money back from them.
Old 2/6/12, 10:25 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
Ford should relax
Yeah I agree.

If there's an error in Chevy's numbers then Ford should simply issue a Press Release to correct, and move on.

Ford should come back with a promo featuring how their Daytona Prototypes swept the 50th 24 @ Daytona - over the 'Corvette'.
Old 2/6/12, 11:07 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Ford should have bought time at the last second and used real footage of that F150 that survived a tornado or whatever it was only to be driven out under its own power on 3 wheels.

Make no mention of Chevy.

Just say "Built Ford Tough"

Ford should be pissed. They are getting jabbed at with their own tax dollars.

**** the Fed!

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 2/6/12 at 11:09 PM.
Old 2/6/12, 11:10 PM
Banned

Does anyone want to live through the apocalypse? I don't and I'm going out in a GT500.
Old 2/6/12, 11:16 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Does anyone want to live through the apocalypse? I don't and I'm going out in a GT500.
So Will Smith can ride around in it hunting food?
Old 2/6/12, 11:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

So Will Smith can ride around in it hunting food?
How cool would that be.......for about 4 hours? lol
Old 2/6/12, 11:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it's Chevys way of trying to get back at Ford for smacking Chevy around with the New Shelby, Chevy has been taking a beating in the media with the Shelbys HP,
On another note, wouldn't this be a sweet battle between Ford and Chevy with commercials, this might get interesting back and forth, HaHaHa.
Old 2/7/12, 07:18 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Ford should have bought time at the last second and used real footage of that F150 that survived a tornado or whatever it was only to be driven out under its own power on 3 wheels.

Make no mention of Chevy.

Just say "Built Ford Tough"

Ford should be pissed. They are getting jabbed at with their own tax dollars.

**** the Fed!
+1.

Quick Reply: Ford Objects to Chevy Silverado Super Bowl Ad