SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Are we the black sheep now?

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/11, 11:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1999Pony
Except for the fact that they were only sold for 5 yrs and the s197's have been sold for 6 yrs
The years past and sold *at the time* aren't the same, naturally you are going to get more of one car on the street after 12 years than after 6 years.
Old 1/2/11, 06:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fdjizm
The years past and sold *at the time* aren't the same, naturally you are going to get more of one car on the street after 12 years than after 6 years.

I think the best way to figure it out is to see how many total were made of each style, I'm too lazy to look it up again but I'm pretty sure Ford actually sold more 99-04 Mustangs than they did from 05-09. I think 08 and 09 were pretty bad sales years for the Mustang while the new edge cars sold strongly even up to it's final year in 2004 (admittedly with huge rebates). Also remember because of the fact that the new edge cars have been out longer many more of them have likely been totaled or destroyed than the newer cars.
Old 1/2/11, 09:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT

I think the best way to figure it out is to see how many total were made of each style, I'm too lazy to look it up again but I'm pretty sure Ford actually sold more 99-04 Mustangs than they did from 05-09. I think 08 and 09 were pretty bad sales years for the Mustang while the new edge cars sold strongly even up to it's final year in 2004 (admittedly with huge rebates). Also remember because of the fact that the new edge cars have been out longer many more of them have likely been totaled or destroyed than the newer cars.
This is only for the 2002 factory production. Does not include special editions
Color

Production

Black

Electric Green

Laser Tint Red

Mineral Grey

Oxford White

Satin Silver

Sonic Blue

Torch Red

Tropic Green

True Blue 11,896
Zinc Yellow 8,684
Total 142,405

Heres 2005, does not include special editions
Color

Production

Windveil Blue

Black

Legend Lime

Performance White

Red Fire Metallic

Satin Silver

Sonic Blue

Torch Red

Mineral Gray

Screaming Yellow

Total
Old 1/2/11, 09:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry that took up so much space but these are from mustangspecs.com
This just kinda shows how much more popular the new edge style is because more of these are on the roads today and there were fewer production numbers compared to the 05-09 body style. You can find production numbers on the site for each year of production.
Old 1/2/11, 10:50 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh come on. If you really believe in your analysis, where's your demographics factor????

There just ain't no way that the underbite Mustang SN95 series - incl the darth vader cobra face - is going to outdo the shark nose hockey stick quarter window S197 - the true modern retro MUSTANG. Not in styling or in performance. Get real.

No offense to anyone as I have said before. But let's at least speak truth with each other. Just like the 12 Boss is better yet (even with its Diaper & goofy painted wheel color schemes) over most of our GT's & SE's...

Sorry. I'm testy tonight.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/2/11 at 10:57 PM.
Old 1/2/11, 10:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Oh come on. If you really believe in your analysis, where's your demographics factor????

There just ain't no way that the underbite Mustang series - incl the darth vader cobra face - is going to outdo the shark nose hockey stick quater window S197 - the true modern retro MUSTANG. Not in styling or in performance. Get real.

No offense to anyone as I have said before. But let's at least speak truth with each other.
Well these are just my beliefs that im throwin out. Im not necessarly going to get all technical about this whole deal, im just going off of observation and experience from other friends that share similar views as me. And "true retro MUSTANG?"
Old 1/2/11, 10:59 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Hawaii 5.0
And "true retro MUSTANG?"
Absolutely. Cause neither the Fox or the SN95 were. Everyone gets that.

That doesn't take away from their effectiveness at the time, and their role in carrying on the Mustang fame of continuous production. They are valued for their role and are great hot rods. But they are hardly retro as most understand the term.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/2/11 at 11:04 PM.
Old 1/2/11, 11:05 PM
Banned

The way I see it, to each their own. I'm not a big fan of the '94-98 bodystyle myself, I think they look kinda girly, but that's just me.
I love all the years of the foxbodies, and if someone else hates them, it doesn't bother me or make me love them any less!!
Bottom line is, every style there is, they are all mustangs, and I still love them all!!
Old 1/2/11, 11:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Absolutely. Cause neither the Fox or the SN95 were. Everyone gets that.

That doesn't take away from their effectiveness at the time, and their role in carrying on the Mustang fame of continuous production. They are valued for their role and are great hot rods. But they are hardly retro as most understand the term.
Well honestly ive never heard of the sn95 style being referred to as "retro" exactly
Old 1/2/11, 11:11 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy
The way I see it, to each their own. I'm not a big fan of the '94-98 bodystyle myself, I think they look kinda girly, but that's just me.
I love all the years of the foxbodies, and if someone else hates them, it doesn't bother me or make me love them any less!!
Bottom line is, every style there is, they are all mustangs, and I still love them all!!

Regardless of what Mustang I have, I'm going to love it - which is why I opened the checkbook for the model that 'moved' me.
They are all pretty great hot rods.

As to the op, no - not black sheep at all IMO. Just different models for different times. But every so often, the original lines have to be recreated - reinforced - or the car morphs into oblivion - like Pontiac and many others.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/2/11 at 11:15 PM.
Old 1/2/11, 11:18 PM
Post *****

Well honestly ive never heard of the sn95 style being referred to as "retro" exactly
well you are referring to (alleged) popularity. but its been espoused all over how the S197 triggered more interest in the Mustang - as well as the Chally and the Camaro, because of the 'retro' movement... so how could the SN95 have out sold or been more popular or however you want to say it; over the retro S197 if all factors were equal??

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/2/11 at 11:24 PM.
Old 1/3/11, 12:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

well you are referring to (alleged) popularity. but its been espoused all over how the S197 triggered more interest in the Mustang - as well as the Chally and the Camaro, because of the 'retro' movement... so how could the SN95 have out sold or been more popular or however you want to say it; over the retro S197 if all factors were equal??
Like i stated earlier im going off observation with what ive seen being driven on the streets. I see many more sn95's than the s197's being driven around. But this mainly has to do with geography, and the stats i posted earlier were in no way an analysis as you put it. They were just numbers. Anyway i also drove in a huge group of mustangs as they traveled from houston, to some cities along the coast, and back. Huge group of american muscle and many of them were sn95's. I gotta say that was one of the most badass road trips ive ever been on, simply an amazing feeling cruising with 100+ other mustangs from 1965-2011 models. Beautiful sight :tear:
Old 1/3/11, 01:35 AM
Post *****

I gotta say that was one of the most badass road trips ive ever been on, simply an amazing feeling cruising with 100+ other mustangs from 1965-2011 models. Beautiful sight :tear:

sorry friend, I got a horse dyin' tonight and I'm super pissed off.
Old 1/3/11, 03:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

sorry friend, I got a horse dyin' tonight and I'm super pissed off.
Oh dont worry about it at all brother. Were all friends on here, plus i aint the kinda guy that takes online frustration personally
Any kinda of horse dying is a big deal, sorry to hear about that. May i ask what kind?
Old 1/3/11, 10:52 AM
Post *****

Oh dont worry about it at all brother. Were all friends on here, plus i aint the kinda guy that takes online frustration personally
Any kinda of horse dying is a big deal, sorry to hear about that. May i ask what kind?
I really apologize. I was just testy and pissy last night. She's a 30 yr old Foundation Appaloosa. I can't believe she's even standing this morning. Even ate fine. Going to head to town for some penicillin and run a course. Never seen a horse throw up before.

Oh, and the gal at the vets office drives a.... drum roll please... SN95!

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/3/11 at 10:54 AM.
Old 1/3/11, 11:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Oh, you actually had REAL horse problems. I thought it was some kind of saying.
Old 1/3/11, 11:44 AM
Cobra R Member

I am in disagreement with both the popularity difference and the image of the s197 being the first retro Mustang. I know we have to go back quite a bit but when the 1994 model launched it received a huge amount of publicity and much of it was based on it's radical and retro styling from it's day. Keep in mind all Mustangs from 64-74 still shared some basic design themes. It was when the fox-body launched that the Mustang was designed from a fresh sheet of paper and nothing was retained from the original Mustang. Fast forward to 1994 the Mustang now has 3 element tail lamps, a chrome pony in the grille, side scoops that represented 60s models. Even the interior dash looks like it is straight from a 1969-70 model! IF you look at some of the adds for the 94 Mustang you constantly see the connection to older models particularly the 1965-66 models.

I don't see why people feel that the 2005 model needed to happen. I think it was a cool idea but retro does tend to get dated quickly. Perhaps that is why Ford is progressing back to a more modern approach for the 2010+ cars. I know we will never have an end to the 4th vs 5th gen wars but this is the 4th gen section.... and I feel that the 2005 car does not look aggressive enough for my tastes. The GT500 is the only one that I feel has the same tough look of the 99-04 car. 05 kinda reminds me of the 94-98 cars.

Sales numbers prove that one generation was no more popular than the other. Particularly the 99-04 car was a great seller with a lot of options with the introduction of some great SEs (Mach1, Bullitt, Cobra). Ford kind of ripped us off with the 2005-09 SEs we should have has a Mach1 or Boss for this generation we shouldnt have waited until 2012.

end of rant
Old 1/3/11, 12:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Are you saying this car is retro?

That reminds you of a 69-70 mustang?
Old 1/3/11, 12:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm
Are you saying this car is retro?

That reminds you of a 69-70 mustang?
Yes, it was retro for it's time. I said that the dash is just like a 1969-70 model's take a look inside each. The car as a whole was retro when compared to the fox body Mustang and the F-body cars. True it is not as direct as the 2005-up models but they clearly used styling cues from 60s Mustangs to create the 4th gen car. Some of the car's bodylines as well as trademarks are from the 60s era cars. The chome pony in the grille, 3 element tail lamps, long front short rear profile, interior cues.... Look at the ad sections for the 94 and 99 Mustangs and you can see where they tried to make a connection to the heritage of the car for the first time. In the fox body days Ford preferred to stay away from the history and more for modern looks. Just because the car is not an exact recreation of a 60s model year does not mean it has no retro inspirations.
Old 1/3/11, 12:34 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
it had alot of retro cues at the time. remember, it was the return of the pony in the grille, sidescoops, three element tailights etc. alot of that stuff hadnt been around for a long time and while the car itself isnt as retro on the whole as the S197, it was still seen as pretty retro at the time. its a classic examples of retro cues in a (then) modern car whereas the s197 had an extremely retro visual theme with a modern car underneath

Quick Reply: Are we the black sheep now?