SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Pete's 2000 GT

Search this Thread

Old 4/23/12, 01:16 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cntchds
VHT Nightshade. I used Duplicolor clear, and I'm thinking that was a mistake. It came on really light and didn't really lay very nicely. I had to do a lot of sanding to get it to where it is.
A lot of canned clear is really hard to use. The nozzles get clogged and they just spray really poorly. other than a paintgun, wetsanding seems to be the only way lol

I forget which brand I used when I painted the door on brians mustang, but i found myself having to shoot the clear at a closer distance than the can said to to get a good coat. but then theres the danger of runs

also, if eric doesn't want to we should use the leftover on my car
Old 4/23/12, 01:40 PM

In other news I have 3 of the Bullitt pedals on now. Just have the accelerator to go, but didn't have time for it last night when I did the others.

Last edited by cntchds; 4/23/12 at 01:43 PM.
Old 4/23/12, 07:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by future9er24

Oh, I want.

Although what clear would you choose differently?

In other news I have 3 of the Bullitt pedals on now. Just have the accelerator to go, but didn't have time for it last night when I did the others.
Pics yet?

Last edited by Blackbird.; 4/23/12 at 07:59 PM.
Bullitt Member

A lot of canned clear is really hard to use. The nozzles get clogged and they just spray really poorly. other than a paintgun, wetsanding seems to be the only way lol

I forget which brand I used when I painted the door on brians mustang, but i found myself having to shoot the clear at a closer distance than the can said to to get a good coat. but then theres the danger of runs

What would you recommend for the clear?
Bullitt Member

Edit
Old 4/23/12, 08:09 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
my bullitt pedals are getting worn out and need to be replaced, but honestly, I want something a bit different. A very similar style to them would be good, but I want a wider accelerator pedal to make heel-toe (for me big toe-little toe) downshifting easier. I've thought about bending the accelerator pedal to the left an inch to get the same effect, but that seems like a lot of work.
Old 4/23/12, 08:15 PM
Post *****

Ideally I'd say use a multistage clear that you have to mix with a hardner right before you spray it, but that definitely requires a spray gun (which I have... though no compressor) and you need to make sure you clean the gun immediately. You do NOT want clear hardening and gumming that thing up lol.

That being said, the canned ones big fault is that the application isn't very consistent. If you have no other choice, its worth a try and if you make mistakes, just keep going over it in light coats til the cans empty Then wetsand.

It takes a while but it can still make some really nice results. the paint gun is just way easier, and you're less likely to have those problems

Originally Posted by StangMahn
(for me big toe-little toe)
why didn't I ever think of that!

Last edited by future9er24; 4/23/12 at 08:17 PM.
Old 4/23/12, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Ideally I'd say use a multistage clear that you have to mix with a hardner right before you spray it, but that definitely requires a spray gun (which I have... though no compressor) and you need to make sure you clean the gun immediately. You do NOT want clear hardening and gumming that thing up lol.

That being said, the canned ones big fault is that the application isn't very consistent. If you have no other choice, its worth a try and if you make mistakes, just keep going over it in light coats til the cans empty Then wetsand.

It takes a while but it can still make some really nice results. the paint gun is just way easier, and you're less likely to have those problems

why didn't I ever think of that!
What about if I got window tint film to do it?
Old 4/23/12, 08:55 PM
NTTAWWT

yeah, my foot is too big to actually turn it to do heel-toe, so I use the width of my foot to depress the brake with my big toe, and rotate my last two over to blip the throttle. Can't do it with certain shoes because they're not wide enough, hence my problem.
Old 4/23/12, 10:35 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by benjyc32
What about if I got window tint film to do it?
That could work. I used to have the hard plastic clip on ones, but they broke. Id worry a little about it peeling but as long as you took good care of it and took your time isntalling it, should look alright

yeah, my foot is too big to actually turn it to do heel-toe, so I use the width of my foot to depress the brake with my big toe, and rotate my last two over to blip the throttle. Can't do it with certain shoes because they're not wide enough, hence my problem.
I haven't tried in a while, but my feet are pretty wide, so this big toe little toe thing might work alright. thought i do worry about the foot slipping off the brake and then mashing the gas.. thinking about the context that could be dangerous. I might go outside and see how it feels while parked
Old 4/25/12, 11:13 AM
Bullitt Member

That could work. I used to have the hard plastic clip on ones, but they broke. Id worry a little about it peeling but as long as you took good care of it and took your time isntalling it, should look alright

I haven't tried in a while, but my feet are pretty wide, so this big toe little toe thing might work alright. thought i do worry about the foot slipping off the brake and then mashing the gas.. thinking about the context that could be dangerous. I might go outside and see how it feels while parked
Okay thanks! And I will, I was planning on taking the tail light out and wrapping it all the way around behind it to where the edges aren't visible.

Stangmhan: I've talked to my father (Ford Master Technician). He said it is possible to move your throttle pedal over to the left a little, but he wouldn't do it more than maybe 1/2 inch. The reason being is the steering shaft runs right by it, an if you get to close it could interfere with the play in your steering. Also, once you move it be sure to fill in the factory hole for the mound on the firewall.
Old 4/25/12, 11:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by benjyc32

Okay thanks! And I will, I was planning on taking the tail light out and wrapping it all the way around behind it to where the edges aren't visible.

Stangmhan: I've talked to my father (Ford Master Technician). He said it is possible to move your throttle pedal over to the left a little, but he wouldn't do it more than maybe 1/2 inch. The reason being is the steering shaft runs right by it, an if you get to close it could interfere with the play in your steering. Also, once you move it be sure to fill in the factory hole for the mound on the firewall.
**for the mounts.
Old 4/25/12, 11:48 AM
NTTAWWT

i havent actually looked at it, but I was thinking of bending the actual pedal hanger, might have to bend both the accelerator and the brake. I found a set of pedals with an extension on the gas just for that purpose, but they're like $200, and that's not about to happen
Old 4/25/12, 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

i havent actually looked at it, but I was thinking of bending the actual pedal hanger, might have to bend both the accelerator and the brake. I found a set of pedals with an extension on the gas just for that purpose, but they're like $200, and that's not about to happen
What year is yours? On my '01 it's got a hanger and then goes down onto a mount with a pin in it and that mount is being used as a fulcrum to the accelerator itself.
Old 4/25/12, 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

It should be the same for your '04
Old 4/25/12, 01:08 PM

Have you tried the spacer mod for the gas pedal to lift it up to the same level as the brake? I played with that yesterday, but I couldn't find hose clamps small enough to keep it in place well enough for me to feel comfortable with it. Just make sure you cut it a little shorter than an inch because at 1" for me it wouldn't close the tb completely. Maybe 7/8 would be perfect.
Old 4/25/12, 01:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Have you tried the spacer mod for the gas pedal to lift it up to the same level as the brake? I played with that yesterday, but I couldn't find hose clamps small enough to keep it in place well enough for me to feel comfortable with it. Just make sure you cut it a little shorter than an inch because at 1" for me it wouldn't close the tb completely. Maybe 7/8 would be perfect.
Just to have noted; I'm against all spacers.. I've had to many fail and could have messed a lot of stuff up.
Old 4/25/12, 09:56 PM

I understand the hesitance, but if this spacer fails the only thing that will happen is the pedal would fall to stock location. Not a huge risk if you ask me.
Old 4/26/12, 01:24 AM

Some pics from my drive today up Highway 9 and on Skyline.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120426_002040.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  21.5 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120426_002104.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  21.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120426_002135.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  20.8 KB

A picture of my Forza 4 set up.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120426_002203.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  22.8 KB

And the only Fisker I think I will ever see in person.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120426_002223.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  21.6 KB
Old 4/26/12, 06:33 AM
Bullitt Member

There aren't any pictures..

Quick Reply: Pete's 2000 GT