05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

XM vs Sirius: Which is better and why?

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/06, 09:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrackaTrash
Am I the only person on earth that thinks that the sound quality of sat radio (both XM and Sirius) sucks? Both compress the heck out their channels. Some are worse than others, but even the good ones stink. They sound like bad MP3's. I though that Sat radio's big thing was CD Quality digital. They don't push that saying anymore. I know the programming is more robust, but I just can't get past the compression. I'll stick with my iPod.
actually, I dont have any "compression" through my satelite. Are you using FM Modulation? That would explain a lot and that isnt even considered to be compression, its actually line input level.

-Dan
Old 8/5/06, 06:22 AM
GT Member

FM modulation is for people who don't know stereo's and who don't want a clean sound.
Old 8/5/06, 10:07 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Cleveland
actually, I dont have any "compression" through my satelite. Are you using FM Modulation? That would explain a lot and that isnt even considered to be compression, its actually line input level.

-Dan
They are all compressed, but the channels vary by degree. It is a digital format, so just like sat tv, digital cable, and DVD's it is compressed. But to get more content, they have compressed the audio too much. While I don't have either service I have ridden in cars with direct XM and Sirius as well as FM modulations of both. The FM mod does sound like crap hands down. The direct connection sounds better, but it's not as clear as a CD or even a decent FM reciever. We can get into frequency ranges and exactly why FM modulation stinks but that's some pretty dry stuff.

Please don't think that I'm trying to knock anyone's purchase here. I know I'm in the minority. I think I am just too picky though. I can't see the logic in paying for something that sounds worse than FM. Here are a couple of big long threads on AVSForum about it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archi.../t-402938.html

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=402938

I know sat radio has more content, but all of the content in the world isn't worth it if I hate hearing it.
Old 8/5/06, 12:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by adnlyn
Sirius is better for one main reason HOWARD STERN
+2! King of all Media... Nough said!
Old 8/5/06, 12:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011
This is Riley Martin.... FRIEND to the aliens.........

Why hello there friend David!.....LOL

KBONSIG---Uhh look man, oppie & whoever can't whipe the king's rear end....There 2 bit sell outs at best.
Old 8/6/06, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Att: All Wanna-bee New Yorkers

Originally Posted by Vegasjay
Why hello there friend David!.....LOL

KBONSIG---Uhh look man, oppie & whoever can't whipe the king's rear end....There 2 bit sell outs at best.

- I love all the Stern die hards from Vegas and Cali - You can have Stern... talk to people who actually live in the tri-state area and have been hearing Sterns B/S for 10 years now... we are all sick of it. He's a one trick pony.... enjoy!
Old 8/6/06, 08:48 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KBONSIG
- I love all the Stern die hards from Vegas and Cali - You can have Stern... talk to people who actually live in the tri-state area and have been hearing Sterns B/S for 10 years now... we are all sick of it. He's a one trick pony.... enjoy!
Born and raised in JERSEY, Cap'n, and been listening to him for oh, 18 years.

You might be sick of him but plenty of other people sure aren't.

Funny how O and A have to steal ideas from a one trick pony.......
Old 8/7/06, 08:36 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cleveland
You are very correct. Sirius is remaining commercial free while XM is not. XM is also losing market share and Howard Stern is far from washed up in the NY market.
I always find it amusing to read how some whine about XM running commercials on FOUR of its 170 channels (less than 2% of their product offerings). This is especially amusing given Sirius's inability to turn a profit after expanding its customer base. Unless they figure out quickly how to get out of the red ink this will, in all likelihood, signal their adoption of commercials at some point in the future. If Sirius cannot improve their financial position then pressure from their investors and Board of Directors will push them towards this OR eliminating expenses/services. After all Sirius, like XM, is a "FOR PROFIT" business!

What I don't understand is that many seem to have a fixation on, in my personal opinion, the biggest M0R0N in broadcast radio today. While I respect the rights of people to listen to that I'm thankful that Howard is finally off commercial radio. At least this'll help protect many of this nations youth from the radio equivalent to MTV's "Jackazz" aka "How to lose 50 IQ points in a single sitting".
Old 8/7/06, 03:51 PM
GT Member

I've had XM for over two years now in my wife's car and it's great. I had XM in my pony until recently (XM and I are having issues in my car) so I'm going to put Sirius in mine. Sirius is far from dead given the fact that they have every major sport except baseball. They picked up NASCAR as an exclusive for five years starting in January.

But this is one of those incredibly stupid apples vs. oranges arguments.
Old 8/8/06, 04:42 PM
GT Member

Sirius has been purchased and installed. Let the comparison begin.
Old 8/9/06, 05:31 AM
GT Member

If one buys a good receiver and antenna, the sound is as good as CD. One must spend money to get perfection.
Old 8/15/06, 12:02 PM
Bullitt Member

sirius = football
Old 8/15/06, 12:02 PM
Bullitt Member

sirius = football!!!
Old 8/16/06, 08:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have XM but im started to get REALLY annoyed with having to listen to commercials. I paid for satelite so I wouldnt have to listen to commericials! If I wanted to hear commercials Id listen to FM. I dont think Im going to renew unless something gives.
Old 8/16/06, 08:45 AM
GT Member

I can't believe that XM is doing that to their subsribers!!!

Glad I have Sirius.

Tony D
Old 8/16/06, 09:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Read previous post, If sirius doesnt start turning a profit looks like Commercials are in the future for them as well.
Old 8/17/06, 11:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by FireFighterHill
Read previous post, If sirius doesnt start turning a profit looks like Commercials are in the future for them as well.
Lots of if and buts in that posting...

Plus Sirius has advertisting on some its stations already...mostly the lifestyle and talk stations...nothing on the Music ones.