05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

XM vs Sirius: Which is better and why?

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/06, 08:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM vs Sirius: Which is better and why?

Hello everyone! I currently have XM for use in my home but am wondering if it would be better to switch to Sirius in lieu of the '07 Mustang Sirius headunits being made available for the '05 and '06 models as well. XM vs Sirius, which is better (programming, reception, etc.) and why?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers,
Jon
Old 7/16/06, 08:41 AM

RED IS BETTER THAN BLUE.

"Better" is an absolutely subjective term. You, as in Jon Purdy the individual, will need to listen to both services and decide which one meets your needs and wants.
Old 7/16/06, 11:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

I am happy with XM, but I haven't heard Sirius. I got the XM reciver for a present last year.
I agree with S.SubZero, basicly, you have to decide what you want. Look at both services and see what is right for you. It is like asking which is better, cable TV or Satellite TV.
Old 7/16/06, 03:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks for the input but the purpose of my question was to hopefully hear from people that have experience with both XM and Sirius. If enough people replied saying they preferred XM, I would consider getting something like the Pioneer AVIC-D1. Conversely, if enough people said that Sirius was the better of the two, I would take that into account and simply wait for the Sirius headunit to be made available. What isn't considered is trying both myself. I would only use it in the car and I'm not about to go to the trouble of trying both.

Jon
Old 7/16/06, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jon_Purdy
Thanks for the input but the purpose of my question was to hopefully hear from people that have experience with both XM and Sirius. If enough people replied saying they preferred XM, I would consider getting something like the Pioneer AVIC-D1. Conversely, if enough people said that Sirius was the better of the two, I would take that into account and simply wait for the Sirius headunit to be made available. What isn't considered is trying both myself. I would only use it in the car and I'm not about to go to the trouble of trying both.

Jon
Jon,
I have XM in 4 vehicles and Sirius at home. Both are excellent services and I enjoy both equally for the most part. XM does NASCAR so I can listen to races if not at home, but I understand Sirius will be picking up the franchise -- so -- hummm. Anyway, I had to add XM to all but my wife's Maxima which came "built in". For the services, if I had the opportunity to get a built-in system in a 'Stang, I'd go for it regardless of XM or Sirius. No connections or dealing with FM transmissions -- good clear sound almost everywhere. Hard to beat.
Hope this helps.
Old 7/16/06, 04:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Mach 73
Jon,
I have XM in 4 vehicles and Sirius at home. Both are excellent services and I enjoy both equally for the most part. XM does NASCAR so I can listen to races if not at home, but I understand Sirius will be picking up the franchise -- so -- hummm. Anyway, I had to add XM to all but my wife's Maxima which came "built in". For the services, if I had the opportunity to get a built-in system in a 'Stang, I'd go for it regardless of XM or Sirius. No connections or dealing with FM transmissions -- good clear sound almost everywhere. Hard to beat.
Hope this helps.
Thanks very much. That's what I was looking for.

Cheers,
Jon
Old 7/16/06, 09:15 PM
Cobra Member

I have had Sirius for about a year and a half and have nothing but praise for the programming. I do a lot of traveling, and frequently a rent car I get will have XM in it. For the type of music I listen to, I prefer Sirius over XM.
Old 7/17/06, 02:48 AM

I'm not sure how my answer wasn't good enough but Mach's was. We basically said the same thing.

XM and Sirius are two competing satellite radio services that have their subtle differences but otherwise both provide tons of channels, a wide variety of programming, and whatever else. I've had XM for a long time and I've enjoyed it, but I could easily listen to Sirius and not have an issue. It's pretty easy to find stuff to listen to and enjoy on either service. Like I said, it will really boil down to what kinds of things you like and which service focuses more on those things.
Old 7/17/06, 07:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Sirius is better for one main reason HOWARD STERN
Old 7/17/06, 07:40 AM
V6 Member

I have both services, Sirius in my car and XM in the family wagon. I have had Sirius for about two years and prefer it over XM due solely to the fact that I find more music that I like on Sirius. Maybe I am more used to the stations on Sirius, but I have found on long trips that XM seems to cycle playlists over and over. I have not traveled with Sirius so it may do the same. Not sure if that helps or not.
Old 7/17/06, 07:43 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I have had XM in my house and vehicles since 2002, and I love it.
I have played around with Sirius, and don't like it so much.
Old 7/17/06, 09:02 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have listened to both

and picked Sirius

however a coworker said the opposite
Old 7/17/06, 09:55 AM
GT Member

Sirius does offer many features like Howard Stern, Nascar in 07, great music without commercials. I have had Sirius for approx 2.5 years and I love it.

Since Ford is now offering Sirius in the 07 Mustang, that makes it that much more attractive.

Tony D
Old 7/17/06, 12:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have Sirius in both of my vehicles and I love it, I have XM on Directv at home and everytime I put it on I'm like "what is this crap?"
Old 7/18/06, 06:52 PM
Cobra Member

SIRIUS IS MUCH BETTER.... simply because I have a receiver and antenna that were FREE!! a friend gave them to me, 'cause he didn't have plans to get service. I haven't even installed it yet.... waiting for the head unit so I can do it all at once. Otherwise.... I can't offer anything usefull. Sorry man. good luck.
Old 7/19/06, 04:14 PM
Cobra Member

sirius is putting commercials in some of their music channels now

theyre partly owned by clear channel .. so i have nothing to do with them

i love HOWARD STERN and even had sirius for almost a year before he decided to go there so i loved it even before howard
i took off my antennae to get better reception from the sirius starmate i got
put my old sirius in my dads E250 and my girlfriend has sirius thanks to me

my friend has XM and i hate it i think it sucks .. it seems like sirius is geared more towards a more youthful audience and to just have fun and let theyre people just do what they want whereas XM is more towards boring people and the corporate influences are VERY strong....just my opinion heh

you will NOT be sorry .. get sirius
try a 3 day free pass for sirius online if you want
Old 7/19/06, 04:17 PM
Cobra Member

O-Qua Tangin Wann
Old 7/19/06, 06:49 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jcopin
O-Qua Tangin Wann
This is Riley Martin.... FRIEND to the aliens.........

Old 7/19/06, 06:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had a rental with free XM so I played around with it a bit, there were like 5 channels I liked -2 metal ones, and 2 mix ones, and the 80's one- the rest are all like news and oldies and boring useless crud. Haven't tried Sirius but I would like to.
Old 7/19/06, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Stern is washed up in the New York market.. nobody cares about him anymore. Opie & Anthony is where it's at.... the virus is spreading! Put a WOW sticker on your car and see some @@ - or you can hear Stern cry about everything under the sun like he did on K-Rock for the past 10 years.

Other than that I would think they are pretty much the same. I've had XM for over a year now and love it!

Quick Reply: XM vs Sirius: Which is better and why?