05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 7/24/05, 06:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I'm from Virginia, and I intend to tint the windows, but I want them to be street legal since I don't want to have any problems getting my car onto miitary installations (they can get pretty picky).

Perhaps this would be a good topic so people could post the legal tint permitted in their state. I've got the entire statute for Virginia attached so you know I'm not making it up. It also discusses different amounts of tint for trucks and multi-passenger vehicles, but the jist for passenger cars is this:

Rear window and rear side windows- No less than 35% light transmission
Front side windows - No less than 50% light transmission
It's strange that they don't even mention the windshield...

It's probably a good idea to keep the tint receipt in the glove box in case the degree of tint is brought into question....

Below is the statue verbatim:

§ 46.2-1052 Virginia Window Tint Law

Signs, decals, and stickers on windshields, etc.; penalties

A. Except as otherwise provided in this article or permitted by federal law, it shall be unlawful for any person to operate any motor vehicle on a highway with any sign, poster, colored or tinted film, sun-shading material, or other colored material on the windshield, front or rear side windows, or rear windows of such motor vehicle. This provision, however, shall not apply to any certificate or other paper required by law or permitted by the Superintendent to be placed on a motor vehicle's windshield or window.

The size of stickers or decals used by counties, cities, and towns in lieu of license plates shall be in compliance with regulations promulgated by the Superintendent. At the option of the motor vehicle's owner, such stickers shall be affixed either at the upper edge of the center of the windshield or at some other place which may be designated by the Superintendent.

B. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, whenever a motor vehicle is equipped with a mirror on each side of such vehicle, so located as to reflect to the driver of such vehicle a view of the highway for at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle, any or all of the following shall be lawful:

1. To drive a motor vehicle equipped with one optically grooved clear plastic right-angle rear view lens attached to one rear window of such motor vehicle, not exceeding eighteen inches in diameter in the case of a circular lens or not exceeding eleven inches by fourteen inches in the case of a rectangular lens, which enables the driver of the motor vehicle to view below the line of sight as viewed through the rear window;

2. To have affixed to the rear side windows, rear window or windows of a motor vehicle any sticker or stickers, regardless of size; or

3. To drive a motor vehicle when the driver's clear view of the highway through the rear window or windows is otherwise obstructed.

C. Except as provided in § 46.2-1053, but notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, no sun-shading or tinting film may be applied or affixed to any window of a motor vehicle unless such motor vehicle is equipped with a mirror on each side of such motor vehicle, so located as to reflect to the driver of the vehicle a view of the highway for at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle, and the sun-shading or tinting film is applied or affixed in accordance with the following:

1. No sun-shading or tinting films may be applied or affixed to the rear side windows or rear window or windows of any motor vehicle operated on the highways of this Commonwealth that reduces the total light transmittance of such window to less than thirty-five percent;

2. No sun-shading or tinting films may be applied or affixed to the front side windows of any motor vehicle operated on the highways of this Commonwealth that reduces total light transmittance of such window to less than fifty percent;

3. No sun-shading or tinting films shall be applied or affixed to any window of a motor vehicle that has a reflectance of light exceeding twenty percent;

4. Any person who operates a motor vehicle on the highways of this Commonwealth with sun-shading or tinting films that has a total light transmittance less than that required by subdivisions 1 and 2 of this subsection or a reflectance of light exceeding twenty percent shall be guilty of a traffic infraction but shall not be awarded any demerit points by the Commissioner for the violation;

5. Any person or firm who applies or affixes to the windows of any motor vehicle in Virginia sun-shading or tinting films that reduce the light transmittance to levels less than that allowed in subdivisions 1 and 2 of this subsection or that have a reflectance of light exceeding twenty percent shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor for the first offense and of a Class 2 misdemeanor for any subsequent offense;

D. The Division of Purchases and Supply, pursuant to § 2.1-446, shall determine the proper standards for equipment or devices used to measure light transmittance through windows of motor vehicles. Law-enforcement officers shall use only such equipment or devices to measure light transmittance through windows that meet the standards established by the Division. Such measurements made by law-enforcement officers shall be given a tolerance of minus seven percentage points.

E. No film or darkening material may be applied on the windshield except to replace the sunshield in the uppermost area as installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

F. Nothing in this section shall prohibit the affixing to the rear window of a motor vehicle of a single sticker no larger than twenty square inches if such sticker is totally contained within the lower five inches of the glass of the rear window, nor shall subsection B of this section apply to a motor vehicle to which but one such sticker is so affixed.

G. Nothing in this section shall prohibit applying to the rear side windows or rear window of any multi-purpose passenger vehicle or pickup truck sun-shading or tinting films that reduce the total light transmittance of such window or windows below thirty-five percent.

H. As used in this article: "front side windows" means those windows located adjacent to and forward of the driver's seat; "rear side windows" means those windows located to the rear of the driver's seat; "rear window" or "rear windows" means those windows which are located to the rear of the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle and which are approximately parallel to the windshield; "multi-purpose passenger vehicle" means any motor vehicle that is (i) designed to carry no more than ten persons and (ii) constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road use.

I. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, sun-shading material which was applied or installed prior to July 1, 1987, in a manner and on which windows not then in violation of Virginia law, shall continue to be lawful, provided that it can be shown by appropriate receipts that such material was installed prior to July 1, 1987.

J. Where a person is convicted within one year of a second or subsequent violation of this section involving the operation of the same vehicle having a tinted or smoked windshield, the court, in addition to any other penalty, may order the person so convicted to remove such tinted or smoked windshield from the vehicle.

K. The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement vehicles.

L. The provisions of Subdivision C 1 of this section shall not apply to sight-seeing carriers as defined in \047 46.2-2200 and limousine and executive sedan carriers as deined in \047 46.2-2500.
Old 7/24/05, 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

One of the many reasons I do not miss Virginia Beach
Old 7/24/05, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Here in California, only the rear windows are allowed to be tinted. You will be ticketed if you're caught with the windshield and front windows tinted. Tints as low as 5% light transmission are allowed here. Besides, it's getting too freakin' hot here in L.A.

As for my Mustang, I have tint with 20% light transmission on the rear windows
Old 7/24/05, 10:00 AM
V6 Member

Texas' code for passenger cars is as follows (Texas DOT Website):

Windshield
Glass coating or sunscreening devices cannot extend downward beyond the AS-1 line; or cannot extend more than 5 inches from the top of the windshield without an AS-1 line.

If sunscreening devices are used above the AS-1 area of the windshield, the light transmittance value must be 25% or more.

The luminous reflectance of any additional sunscreening devices used must be 25% or less.

Sunscreening device cannot be red, blue or amber in color.

Side Windows
All side windows must have at least 25% light transmittance and luminous reflectance of 25% or less, over the entire surface area of the window.

Rear (back) Window
If vehicle has left and right outside mirrors, there is no minimum light transmission requirement.

If not equipped with both outside mirrors, the rear window must have no less than 25% light transmittance and a luminous reflectance of 25% or less.

The manufacturers installed glazing shade band is excluded.
Old 7/24/05, 10:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have 15% in every window and 6 inches on my front windshield. Easy state to live in for tint. Never had any problems..legal here is 25% all around I believe. Oklahoma is...
Old 7/24/05, 01:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

B) Lots of info on this site as well as State and Canadian laws
http://www.iwfa.com/industry.htm
Old 7/24/05, 09:11 PM

I looked at the state chart and it varies a lot. For instance MA allows 35% on front windows and NH allows no tinting. Does this mean I can get ticketed in NH even if I am registered in MA?

-weldp
Old 7/29/05, 06:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Kinda on the same subject, anyone have any moleskin/felt left over? I need some and will pay to ship. Thanks
Old 7/29/05, 06:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Jewls05GT@July 29, 2005, 7:25 AM
Kinda on the same subject, anyone have any moleskin/felt left over? I need some and will pay to ship. Thanks
I just got my car back from my tinter, he had some left over moleskin and gave it to me. I am not sure how much, in length, is left over, but I might be able to give it up. I don't think I will need it anymore. I haven't been able to roll the windows down yet, so I can't give my impression of the liner, but I have heard everyone else who has put it on doesn't have any scratching problems.

I'll go home and measure what I have and let you know.
Old 7/29/05, 07:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks chor! I'll be in Birmingham at the races this weekend with the rest of the members, so if you don't hear from me, that's why.
Old 7/29/05, 01:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ebrand@July 24, 2005, 10:03 AM
Rear (back) Window
If vehicle has left and right outside mirrors, there is no minimum light transmission requirement.
I always luv'd that about the Texas tinting "rules"....as long as I have side mirrors, I could spray paint the back window black.
Old 8/3/05, 02:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Got some moleskin left if anyone needs it.
Old 8/3/05, 03:01 PM
GT Member

Here's the Lousiana law

RS 32:361.1

§361.1. View outward or inward through windshield or windows; obscuring prohibited

A. As used in this Section and regulations applicable thereto, the following terms shall have the following meanings, unless the context of use clearly indicates otherwise:

(1) "Sun screening device" means a film material or device that is designed to be used in conjunction with motor vehicle safety glazing materials for reducing the effects of the sun.

(2) "Light transmission" means the ratio of the amount of total light to pass through the product or material, including any glazing material, to the amount of total light falling on the product or material and the glazing.

(3) "Luminous reflectance" means the ratio of the amount of total light that is reflected outward by the product or material to the amount of total light falling on the product or material.

(4) "Manufacturer" means a person who engages in the manufacture or assembly of a vehicle sun screening device, or who fabricates, laminates, or tempers a safety glazing material, incorporating, during the manufacturing process, the capacity to reflect or reduce the transmission of light.

(5) "Installer" means any person or company who affixes, places, fastens, or secures any sun screening device to any windshield or window of a motor vehicle in Louisiana.

(6) "Seller" means any person or company who transfers in the contract of sale any sun screening device for windshields or windows of motor vehicles in Louisiana.

(7) "Distributor" means any person or company who markets, delivers, or distributes any sun screening device for motor vehicles in Louisiana.

B. Except as provided by R.S. 32:361.1©, no person may operate a motor vehicle with any object or material placed on or affixed to the front windshield or to front side windows of the vehicle so as to obstruct or reduce the driver's clear view through the front windshield or front side windows, nor place on or affix to the front windshield or the front side windows of a motor vehicle, any transparent material if the material alters the color or reduces the light transmission of the windshield or front side windows.

C. The provisions of this Section do not apply to any of the following:

(1) A sun screening device when used in conjunction with automotive safety glazing materials on the front side window, with a light transmission of at least forty percent, all tolerances included, side window behind the driver with a light transmission of at least twenty-five percent, all tolerances included, and rearmost windows with a light transmission of at least twelve percent, all tolerances included. All sun screening devices shall not have a luminous reflectance of more than twenty percent.

(2) A transparent material, not red or amber in color, affixed to the topmost portion of the windshield not to extend more than five inches down from the top.

(3) An adjustable nontransparent sun visor mounted forward of the side windows and not attached to the glass.

(4) Publicly owned law enforcement vehicles other than those vehicles owned or used by the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries.

D.(1) Each manufacturer shall certify to the Department of Public Safety and Corrections, office of motor vehicles, by independent test laboratory data, that a sun screening device marketed in this state is in compliance with the luminous reflectance and transmittance requirements of this Section.

(2) Each installer shall provide a label not to exceed one and one-half square inches in size, with a means for the permanent and legible installation between the sun screening material and each glazing surface to which it is applied, which contains the installer's name and city where the business is located.

(3) The person placing the material on the glazing surface shall affix the label to the lower right corner of the driver's side window.

(4) The light transmittance requirement of this Section does not apply to windows behind the driver on trucks, busses, trailers, motor homes, multipurpose passenger vehicles, and all windows on vehicles used for law enforcement purposes and tinted in accordance with the provisions of this Section.

E. Except as provided in Subsections G and H of this Section, anyone who operates a motor vehicle registered in this state in violation of the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than one hundred fifty dollars for a first offense, not more than two hundred fifty dollars for a second offense, and not more than three hundred fifty dollars for a third or subsequent offense.

F. Except as provided in Subsections G and H of this Section, anyone who violates the provisions of this, or any rules or regulations applicable thereto shall be fined in accordance with the provisions of R.S. 32:57.

G. Any seller, installer, manufacturer, or distributor of a sun screening device who violates the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars for a first offense, not more than one thousand dollars for a second offense, and not more than one thousand five hundred dollars for a third or subsequent offense.

H. The provisions of this Section shall apply to all vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1994, unless exempted in accordance with R.S. 32:361.1.

I. All vehicles that have windows tinted on or before December 31, 1993, in compliance with then existing provisions of law are exempt from the provisions of this Section, provided that a certificate is obtained by the owner, operator, or licensee certifying that the tinting was done prior to January 1, 1994. The office of motor vehicles shall adopt rules, regulations, and a form for proof of prior tinting in accordance with provisions of this Subsection. The certificate must be present in the vehicle at all times when being operated and presented upon demand by a law enforcement officer.

J. The provisions of this Section apply to any other vehicles not included in Subsections H and I of this Section on and after January 1, 1994.

Acts 1983, No. 209, §1; Acts 1986, No. 525, §1; Acts 1989, No. 275, §1, Acts 1989, No. 663, §1; Acts 1992, No. 201, §1; Acts 1993, No. 519, §1.
Old 8/6/05, 12:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Florida law is 28% min transmission on the driver/passenger windows, whatever you want in the back, as long as you have side mirrors. I have 15% on all windows and a 6" strip on the widsheild and it is great. I had 10% all the way around on both my previous cars and had no issues from the law.
jeff
Old 8/7/05, 12:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Georgia is 32% or more all the way around.

It sucks, they just got the new tint law a few months ago.