05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

UPR billet window switch plates

Search this Thread

Old 12/6/05, 06:45 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, my switch plates arrived this morning and I plan to install them after work.
However, no instructions sheet was included, so I'm wondering: are there any things I need to watch out for? How do I take off the plastic plates and how do I install the new ones? Are they snap-ons?
Thanks!
Old 12/6/05, 07:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

As per the UPR web site: "These plates are machined to fit around the factory window switches for both the driver and passenger side armrests.", so no, they do not replace the originals.

From what I understand, they stick on with 3M tape. They should have come with at least some cleaning pads and hopefully some adhesion promoter. If not, get out your rubbing alcohol and clean the plastic parts real good before you stick on the new plate covers.
Old 12/6/05, 08:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

How do they match the MGW accessories, I've been thinking about these, especially with UPR having they sale right now. But, all my interior add-ons are MGW. I wish they would make them.
Old 12/6/05, 10:48 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey finally a topic I can add to. I installed these a few weeks ago, it’s really easy and I really like how they look with my dark charcoal interior, that is after I altered their satin finish. I went with the non-polished non-logo plates, and rubbed them with fine grit sandpaper and 3-m pads until I got the look I wanted (more on this later).
They do not use 2 sided tape though, you use clear silicone adhesive (not included). Just clean the surface of the door really well. I believe they said use Windex and then put a few dabs of clear adhesive on the underside of the plate (don’t put it too close to the edge or it may squish out) and press into place.
To answer Eleanor Dreaming, Overall I like the UPR products, most of which I went with the satin finish to match the IUP lite steering wheel and shift ****, I have the UPR pedals, polished fuse box cover, strut caps, switch plates and the little trim ring and **** cap that goes around the side mirror switch. That being said I also ordered a few things from MGW and their stuff is really outstanding and if the same type of products were offered by both, like the radio ***** I would go with MGW, I just really like the nice even finished look of their stuff, even in satin. Some of the UPR stuff like the pedals and the switch plates looked like a machined piece of aluminum which is exactly what they are but I wanted a more evenly finished look on those pieces so that was the reason for the sandpaper, 3-m pad thing I mentioned earlier.
Hope this helps
Old 12/6/05, 06:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by bc317@December 6, 2005, 12:51 PM
Hey finally a topic I can add to. I installed these a few weeks ago, it’s really easy and I really like how they look with my dark charcoal interior, that is after I altered their satin finish. I went with the non-polished non-logo plates, and rubbed them with fine grit sandpaper and 3-m pads until I got the look I wanted (more on this later).
They do not use 2 sided tape though, you use clear silicone adhesive (not included). Just clean the surface of the door really well. I believe they said use Windex and then put a few dabs of clear adhesive on the underside of the plate (don’t put it too close to the edge or it may squish out) and press into place.
To answer Eleanor Dreaming, Overall I like the UPR products, most of which I went with the satin finish to match the IUP lite steering wheel and shift ****, I have the UPR pedals, polished fuse box cover, strut caps, switch plates and the little trim ring and **** cap that goes around the side mirror switch. That being said I also ordered a few things from MGW and their stuff is really outstanding and if the same type of products were offered by both, like the radio ***** I would go with MGW, I just really like the nice even finished look of their stuff, even in satin. Some of the UPR stuff like the pedals and the switch plates looked like a machined piece of aluminum which is exactly what they are but I wanted a more evenly finished look on those pieces so that was the reason for the sandpaper, 3-m pad thing I mentioned earlier.
Hope this helps

Old 12/7/05, 08:32 AM
GT Member

Sorry 2k5GTC, where are my manners. Here is the interior so far. I kind of want the black and aluminum look but I thought the IUP was more aluminum than I wanted.
Old 12/7/05, 08:38 AM
GT Member

These came last night. Nice item. Ok, I am done hijacking this thread.
Old 12/7/05, 08:45 AM
V6 Member

Course mine went on with an on hand tube of lock tite brand liquid nails due to no insructions or included method for install.
Old 12/7/05, 08:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

i threw my switch plates away, no offense, they were a POS, they scratched, smeared, and got dirty very easy. any time i tried to clean it, with a fine cloth or cottom ball, it SCRATCHED! or smeared

I bought MGW ones, very pleased with them, barely scratch like the UPR ones.....
Old 12/7/05, 04:51 PM
GT Member

Where are the MGW window Switchplates? I've bought everything they have for sale for the Mustang's interior and I've never seen any switchplates on their website. However, I just emailed George J. Ciamillo, the VP, and he says the parking brake and cupholders are nearly ready for the 2005. They look SICK! Happy Xmas to me and my Mustang from MGW...AGAIN!

Could you please post a link to their window switchplates?
Old 12/8/05, 09:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm sorry, i take that back, not MGW plates, SS Inserts Plates, they are much more thin that the big thick UPR ones. Much much nicer, polished and don't have the huge UPR logo ingraved in it, that was one thing i didnt like about the plates.

SS Inserts, I think I payed like $60 for the plates, still got its polished looking shine with barely any scratches on it for a good 3 months!
Old 12/8/05, 01:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Louie, what did you use to stick the covers for the side mirror control switch?
Old 12/8/05, 01:23 PM
Cobra Member

I've decided not to install them anymore, they are too shiny compared to the MGW satin ***** I already have. I "test-fitted" them and didn't like the way they looked there. :notnice:
I'll probably sell them.