05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Tint -- factory?

Search this Thread

Old 4/25/05, 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went over the weekend to ask about tinting my windows. I pulled into the tint /stereo/ alarm shop and walked in, and the guy says, YOU WANT TINT!

I said, "Yes, how did you know?" He says, "That car is Screaming for tint"

So, we walk outside and he says,'Oh, your windows are tinted already... and its a great job. Looks like 40 on your windows and 35 on the little windows."

I said, "Oh ok... well, you cant go darker?" He then told me that MS has a 35% limit on windows, so the difference would not be that much. Then he asked me who did the tint. I said, "Well, this is how I bought the car!" He said, 'oh, someone must have bought it, tinted it and then traded it back."

I said, "NO, the car had just 30 miles on it" So, he was bewildered. I then told him I got the car in Louisiana, not Mississippi, so he thought that may have been the reason.

Is this a factory tint for everyone? Or just something special here? :scratch:

EDIT: oh, and I did ask him why he said "ITS SCREAMING FOR TINT" when it was tinted!! He said, "Well, from in here it looked like it didnt have any on there!"
Old 4/25/05, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

My car was tinted by the dealer before we picked it up. I think it's some sort of Arizona requirement. We need tint here badly!!!
Old 4/25/05, 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Must be the same in La then...

anyone else has their windows pretinted?
Old 4/25/05, 01:31 PM

If that installer can't tell if it is factory tint or aftermarket, you should keep driving to another installer. A simple 2 second check by rolling a window down to see the bare edge of the tint tells you whether it was tinted or not, the factory tint is integral to the glass, meaning the color is "in" the glass, not applied "on" the glass.

I haven't seen any factory tint on Mustangs come anywhere close to 35%, most are much lighter.....so without seeing yours I can only assume the installer you were speaking with had no clue. Again, just another red flag telling you to try elsewhere.

In SD, we have a 35% limit on front side windows and windsheild, but you can have any level of tint on rear sides and rear window. Personally, I think it looks best to get 20% on all sides and rear, with the windsheild remaining untinted, but around here you have to shop around for an installer willing to do it since it goes against state law. In the case you can't find one, 35% isn't bad either, but I prefer never to mix levels of tint as it throws the balance off when looking at the car.

Also, I doubt you would have dealer applied tint without knowing it. Surely they would have charged you additional for that option.
Old 4/25/05, 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Seven@April 25, 2005, 1:34 PM
If that installer can't tell if it is factory tint or aftermarket, you should keep driving to another installer. A simple 2 second check by rolling a window down to see the bare edge of the tint tells you whether it was tinted or not, the factory tint is integral to the glass, meaning the color is "in" the glass, not applied "on" the glass.

Also, I doubt you would have dealer applied tint without knowing it. Surely they would have charged you additional for that option.

He insisted it was aftermarket. That is why I told him that the car had very little miles on it when I purchased it.
Old 4/25/05, 01:39 PM
Banned

Go somewhere else, that guy doesnt know what he is talking about. 35% is very noticable, and you would be able to see it when you rolled the window down where they trimmed the tint.

Go someplacve else, and get the state limit you wanted.