05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Replacement Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/05, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just wished Ford had a "radio" delete option, that way you could build your own system. Especially on the Cobra.
Old 3/7/05, 10:22 AM
Cobra Member

aint that the truth!
Old 3/12/05, 11:20 PM

I wish I could verify what a couple of the guys said here about the replacement rear speakers having a full range of sound - but I cannot. My experience is very different.

I replaced my door component speakers and rear 5x7's today with 2 pairs of Pioneer TS-A6880R 4-ways.

I can say without a DOUBT that there is a cross over at work in my car. I'm using the factory head unit and amp to power these speakers as well as the factory subs in the door. I have a seperate amp and sub in the trunk that was also added.

The Pioneer's in the door have a full range (or at least mid and highs - with the factory subs going its hard to tell where all the base is coming from but of course there is plenty from the doors).

Those in the rear however are not producting a full range. I would disagree with Crutchfield in that it is not functionling solely as a subwoofer - but more like the factory paper dual cone, only lows and mids (no highs to speak of, at least not comparable to the doors).

Anyone that says that they are getting a full range of sound from their rears using the factory head unit and amp - use your fade control and play just your rears and just your front. If its the same (and I'm thinking it won't be) then tell me how your system is wired because I don't think it is using the factory wiring?

Any help to get a full range out of the rears without replacing the head unit would be great.

It may also be that you are hearing more of an equitable sound range between front and rear because you are using 2-way speakers instead of 4-way.

Thanks,
Earl
Old 3/13/05, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by EarlB@March 13, 2005, 1:23 AM
I wish I could verify what a couple of the guys said here about the replacement rear speakers having a full range of sound - but I cannot. My experience is very different.

I replaced my door component speakers and rear 5x7's today with 2 pairs of Pioneer TS-A6880R 4-ways.

I can say without a DOUBT that there is a cross over at work in my car. I'm using the factory head unit and amp to power these speakers as well as the factory subs in the door. I have a seperate amp and sub in the trunk that was also added.

The Pioneer's in the door have a full range (or at least mid and highs - with the factory subs going its hard to tell where all the base is coming from but of course there is plenty from the doors).

Those in the rear however are not producting a full range. I would disagree with Crutchfield in that it is not functionling solely as a subwoofer - but more like the factory paper dual cone, only lows and mids (no highs to speak of, at least not comparable to the doors).

Anyone that says that they are getting a full range of sound from their rears using the factory head unit and amp - use your fade control and play just your rears and just your front. If its the same (and I'm thinking it won't be) then tell me how your system is wired because I don't think it is using the factory wiring?

Any help to get a full range out of the rears without replacing the head unit would be great.

It may also be that you are hearing more of an equitable sound range between front and rear because you are using 2-way speakers instead of 4-way.

Thanks,
Earl
darn, I wanted those same 4-way speakers, to have a little more sound in the back.
Old 3/13/05, 09:54 AM

Yes in the audio room they sound terrific - dramatically better than the Alpine R-Type 2-ways I was comparing them to.

Don't get me wrong, they still sound terrific in the car - but they could sound better if getting a full range audio signal. The way things are, someone could get by with 2-way or 3-ways in the back. If they cost dramatically more it would be an issue, but at $99 a pair (retail) they are a good bit less than R-Type 2 ways.

Earl

Originally posted by deurges05+March 13, 2005, 1:40 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deurges05 @ March 13, 2005, 1:40 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-EarlB@March 13, 2005, 1:23 AM

Thanks,
Earl
darn, I wanted those same 4-way speakers, to have a little more sound in the back.
[/b][/quote]
Old 3/24/05, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by 35thGT@March 7, 2005, 11:18 AM
I just wished Ford had a "radio" delete option, that way you could build your own system. Especially on the Cobra.

They do ! just order the GT deluxe and don't get the shaker 500 upgrade and keep the regular CD player