05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

A-Pillar plastic removal

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/06, 11:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A-Pillar plastic removal

Hey folks, for those of you that have installed a-pillar gauges, I was just curious how hard it is to remove the stock a-pillar plasic piece. Here's me situation:

For SEMA I installed the pillar pods and inserted the two gauges, but never had time to actually install the gauges. They're just resting in the pods. Now that I finally have time to do the install, I want to do it. The pod panel is double-sided taped onto the stock a-pillar trim and I don't really want to try and remove it, so I was thinking that I'd remove the whole assembly, drill the holes for the wires, and then reinstall it all still assembled. Is this possible? If so, how long will it take? I have about 6 hours on Saturday before a show and was thinking about doing it then.

Any info would be great,

Thanks,
Kris
Old 6/15/06, 01:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just pops right off.....using interior clips...
Old 6/15/06, 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KrisHorton
Hey folks, for those of you that have installed a-pillar gauges, I was just curious how hard it is to remove the stock a-pillar plasic piece. Here's me situation:

For SEMA I installed the pillar pods and inserted the two gauges, but never had time to actually install the gauges. They're just resting in the pods. Now that I finally have time to do the install, I want to do it. The pod panel is double-sided taped onto the stock a-pillar trim and I don't really want to try and remove it, so I was thinking that I'd remove the whole assembly, drill the holes for the wires, and then reinstall it all still assembled. Is this possible? If so, how long will it take? I have about 6 hours on Saturday before a show and was thinking about doing it then.

Any info would be great,

Thanks,
Kris
The A-Piller on the passenger was a little weird to remove (I'm assuming the driver-side is the same). You unclip it starting above your head going forward, once you get to the bottom, it's clipped in to the dash with 2 plastic nibs (I thoguht forsure I was going to break these off). I bent it out very carefully. And it popped out.
Old 6/15/06, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Is it pretty easy to reinstall for someone that's not much of an interior expert? I just don't wanna get into something I can't patch up in time to be at the show...
Old 6/16/06, 10:09 AM
Cobra Member

Here is exactly how easy it is to remove and reinstall. Video courtsay of Alan from Speed of Sound.

http://www.speedofsoundllc.com/i/Ins...%20Install.wmv
Old 6/16/06, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by hawgman
Here is exactly how easy it is to remove and reinstall. Video courtsay of Alan from Speed of Sound.

http://www.speedofsoundllc.com/i/Ins...%20Install.wmv
Hey I know that guy!

Kris,

Removing and reinstalling your stock pillar is really quite easy. The video shows it can take less than a minute of total time to do. Follow the way I did it, starting at the rear of the door to remove and at the dash to reinstall.

The biggest trick is getting the two plastic hooks at the dash to line up. Once they do, it's "pow, all at once" as it clicks in place. From there work backwards up the pillar and to the rear of the door.

Breaking is just not a concern removing the pillar. It's on tight, so don't be afraid to pull hard if it's not cooperating. You can see in the vid I put a bit of force on it to get started and at the top of the windshield.

Good luck on your project, and hope this helps.

Alan
Old 6/17/06, 09:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Alan and everyone else that chimed in. I'm going to take a look at doing it today, wish me luck!

Kris
Old 6/17/06, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by KrisHorton
Thanks Alan and everyone else that chimed in. I'm going to take a look at doing it today, wish me luck!

Kris
You're welcome, hopefully it helped. How did it go for you?
Old 6/18/06, 08:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

i removed the drivers side door kick plate, removed the drivers side kick panel and then removed the A-Pillar. this is the proper way so you do not risk breaking the tabs and also makes installation a breeze.