05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

PIE adapter alternative: AUX2CAR ?

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/07, 04:52 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this worked for a few days and then freaked my cars computer out. all the dash lights lit up (brake, traction control, oil, etc) and the ac stopped blowing cold air. took it to ford and they diagnosed the problem as the aux2car generating enough resistance in the circuit for the smart junction box to cease communication with the cluster and cause all sorts of wierd issues. ford is trying to pin this on me...while it is true that i installed the aux2car ford is the one who sold me a car with non-functional controls on the stereo. now i am bitter...
Old 8/31/07, 06:32 AM
GT Member

the peripheral has been decertified for use with the mustang; my screwed everything up after 11 months; discount car stero allowed me to return it with a full refund; i then purchased the PIE version 2 adaptor from them and it works much better than the original PIE; i can control my IPOD through the shaker; i have had one blip and a quick disconnect of the negative terminal reset it; no too much of a problem if it doesnt occur weekly; we shall see. again, this is only necessary for those of us with an 05 or 06; if i had the aux input in the armrest i would just control the ipod from there - so be it; guess i will just have to buy one of those new blue shelby gt verts and retire the legent lime GT; (only for mrsp) and that will be hard enough to find for some time.
Old 8/31/07, 12:21 PM
Cobra Member

when an mp3 player f's up your cars computer it is a sad example of engineering inadequacy. time to trade the pony in for an old timer with no computer.
Old 9/6/07, 02:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Faber
when an mp3 player f's up your cars computer it is a sad example of engineering inadequacy. time to trade the pony in for an old timer with no computer.
Actually it's a sign of engineering complexity since now everything electronic seems to be internconnected and communicating with the PCM.

The aftermarket people just don't know the in's and out's of the new electronics or haven't tested their add ons enough in actual cars.
Old 9/6/07, 04:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
Actually it's a sign of engineering complexity since now everything electronic seems to be internconnected and communicating with the PCM.

The aftermarket people just don't know the in's and out's of the new electronics or haven't tested their add ons enough in actual cars.
Just convinces me more to go old school....
Old 9/6/07, 04:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Faber
this worked for a few days and then freaked my cars computer out. all the dash lights lit up (brake, traction control, oil, etc) and the ac stopped blowing cold air. took it to ford and they diagnosed the problem as the aux2car generating enough resistance in the circuit for the smart junction box to cease communication with the cluster and cause all sorts of wierd issues. ford is trying to pin this on me...while it is true that i installed the aux2car ford is the one who sold me a car with non-functional controls on the stereo. now i am bitter...
Kinda sounds like what happens when I plug in my x-cal to load up a tune then it goes away ? maybe was your preditor plugged in ? I ask because I plugged mine in while I was driving today then everything went nuts but was ok when I unplugged back to normal.
Old 9/6/07, 05:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
Kinda sounds like what happens when I plug in my x-cal to load up a tune then it goes away ? maybe was your preditor plugged in ? I ask because I plugged mine in while I was driving today then everything went nuts but was ok when I unplugged back to normal.
nah it wasn't plugged in. after the aux2car was uninstalled it all went back to normal.
Old 9/6/07, 05:04 PM
Cobra Member

So how is the '07-'08 factory installed auxilary jack implemented? Did they change the head units or did the factory add some sort of adapter that could be retrofitted to the '05 & '06s?
Old 9/6/07, 05:15 PM
Cobra Member

So how is the '07-'08 factory installed auxilary jack implemented? Did they change the head units or did the factory add some sort of adapter that could be retrofitted to the '05 & '06s?
my question as well!
Old 9/13/07, 08:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a different harness. It is compatible with the 05 and 06 but it is a main harness and $$$ if I remember correctly
Old 9/20/07, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by vicmeldrew
the peripheral has been decertified for use with the mustang; my screwed everything up after 11 months; discount car stero allowed me to return it with a full refund; i then purchased the PIE version 2 adaptor from them and it works much better than the original PIE; i can control my IPOD through the shaker; i have had one blip and a quick disconnect of the negative terminal reset it; no too much of a problem if it doesnt occur weekly; we shall see. again, this is only necessary for those of us with an 05 or 06; if i had the aux input in the armrest i would just control the ipod from there - so be it; guess i will just have to buy one of those new blue shelby gt verts and retire the legent lime GT; (only for mrsp) and that will be hard enough to find for some time.
I have the peripheral also, mine did the same thing and screwed up everything in my car until I disconnected the battery to reset it, it would do it like once every 2 or 3 weeks, I called peripheral and they hung me out to dry. So that's when modding steped in and the problem was solved.
I unplugged the harness from the peripheral unit and located the yellow and black wires in one of the sides of the connector and with a voltmeter verified that the yellow wire is the one getting 12V even when the ignition is off, then I cut the yellow wire to kill the constant 12v feed and connected a single 12v switched wire from the passenger side junction box to the yellow wire in the connector, right now every time I turn off the car the peripheral unit turns off. I have had this fix for 8 months now and I don't have to disconnect the battery anymore, I think this fix works for the PIE also the only drawback is that the ipod will only charge while the vehicle ignition is on but that's not a problem for me the ipod keeps plenty of charge at all times. I love the peripheral unit and the ability to control the ipod with the Shaker unit.

Hope it helps...

Erik
Old 9/26/07, 02:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, I was about to place an order for one after reading page 1 and then page 2 destroyed my plan! Do any of these units work without problems? I just want to be able to hook up my Toshiba Gigabeat and possibly a satelite radio system in the future.
Old 10/11/07, 07:13 PM
GT Member

My computer freaked out while on a roadtrip.
Took it to Ford and it was a 3 hr wait. I thought it was the peripheral but did not have access to this website to be sure. I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and problem solved. Made me a little nervous. I thinks its time to buy a double din with IPOD options and be done with it.
Wonder if the new G8 will have IPOD capabilities.....
Old 10/14/07, 01:22 PM
GT Member

If you follow ricco's advice/mod below, you will not have any problem. No more disonnecting the battery and no more freaky gauge readings.
I had these problems and followed his tip and no more issues.

Originally Posted by ricco333
I have the peripheral also, mine did the same thing and screwed up everything in my car until I disconnected the battery to reset it, it would do it like once every 2 or 3 weeks, I called peripheral and they hung me out to dry. So that's when modding steped in and the problem was solved.
I unplugged the harness from the peripheral unit and located the yellow and black wires in one of the sides of the connector and with a voltmeter verified that the yellow wire is the one getting 12V even when the ignition is off, then I cut the yellow wire to kill the constant 12v feed and connected a single 12v switched wire from the passenger side junction box to the yellow wire in the connector, right now every time I turn off the car the peripheral unit turns off. I have had this fix for 8 months now and I don't have to disconnect the battery anymore, I think this fix works for the PIE also the only drawback is that the ipod will only charge while the vehicle ignition is on but that's not a problem for me the ipod keeps plenty of charge at all times. I love the peripheral unit and the ability to control the ipod with the Shaker unit.

Hope it helps...

Erik
Old 10/26/07, 03:32 PM
V6 Member

I search the site and could not find anyone with info on the Axxess unit.

So I bought this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

Anybody try this with an early build 2005 GT?

I will report back as soon as I get it installed.
Old 10/26/07, 03:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ricco333

Hope it helps...

Erik
I wish someone would do a TacoBill style write-up on this. I'd love you do it but I have no clue how and pics and detailed instructions would help.