05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Panic button on key fob

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/07, 02:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panic button on key fob

Does anyone know is it possible to disable the stupid panic button?

I'm tired of hitting it on accident, and I'm sure my neighbors are too. Whether I'm going for the trunk button and my fingers are too fat, or I have the keys in my pocket and sit down or bump up against something and it goes off. My favorite occurance was one time I had my keys in my pocket and had to get under the car, I know the button will go off if I leave the keys in my pocket, so I take them out and set them on the ground. I get under the car, and the dog decides to step on the panic button!

If I ever have a reason to panic, I''ll just hit the lock button repeatedly.
Old 4/8/07, 02:34 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rocket88
Does anyone know is it possible to disable the stupid panic button?

I'm tired of hitting it on accident, and I'm sure my neighbors are too. Whether I'm going for the trunk button and my fingers are too fat, or I have the keys in my pocket and sit down or bump up against something and it goes off. My favorite occurance was one time I had my keys in my pocket and had to get under the car, I know the button will go off if I leave the keys in my pocket, so I take them out and set them on the ground. I get under the car, and the dog decides to step on the panic button!

If I ever have a reason to panic, I''ll just hit the lock button repeatedly.
i'd open up the key fob, and place a little strip of tape over the panic buttom circuit.
Old 4/8/07, 03:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was afraid to mess with this without some help, but...ok, this couldn't have been much simpler. The tape is a good idea, but a no go. I opened it up and tried that and it still worked. So I decided to just take an exacto knife and gently pry the little switch off the board. There's actually two layers to it, one went flying and I'm not sure where it landed, but here's pics for anyone else who wants to do this. I took the first layer off and it still worked, then removed the second layer and viola, no more panic button!

Old 4/8/07, 04:28 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ah rats
didn't think it had these type of micro switches on.

well fix works.. but is more of a permanent fix