05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

OEM Nav and Shaker 1000?

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/07, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Nav and Shaker 1000?

Is it possible?

I have an 05 with the 1000, and interested in the new OEM nav unit, but some posts say you can't do it and some hint that you can. Anyone know?
Old 3/15/07, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

It can be done as an upgrade if you go to an OEM supplier that can correctly program the unit for your car.

Since you are in Chicago, you might give this guy a ring:

Robert Lederer
CHICAGO PARTS & SOUND, LLC.
635 Wheat Ln.
Wood Dale, IL 60191
Phone: 630-350-1500
Fax: 630-350-0178

bob@chgoparts.com

He supplied an upgrade unit for my Shelby at a very fair price. Brand new, he is an OEM Visteon dealer.
Old 3/15/07, 10:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send kevin an E-mail he can help you out. CLEVPARTS@AOL.COM
Old 3/15/07, 02:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

from what i know you can not because even if you try ordering a ford on the ford website, you can not have the S1000 and the NAV
Old 3/15/07, 03:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bee bop
Send kevin an E-mail he can help you out. CLEVPARTS@AOL.COM
Yea sent him one about 2 weeks ago asking if it was possible and another one yesterday just asking for hotsheets. He must be backed up or something, I haven't heard back
Old 3/16/07, 08:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Thats why I bought mine from the dealer in Chicago. Kevin ignored me and my questions for weeks. Guess he is just too busy for internet sales. The Chicago dealer was very knowledgeable, helpful and several hundred dollars cheaper than Kevin. I would never have gone looking for another dealer if Kevin had been at all responsive.

Bob has been very good after the sale as well.

This is no big secret, the programming information for upgrade kits is supplied by Pioneer through Visteon tech support to all thier dealers. Its just a mattter of some dealers want to deal with the upgrade market and some don't.

I could have bought from Radio Sales and Service here in Houston as well but they did not seem all that receptive to the upgrade idea at the time. THey pretty much have thier hands full with servicing Visteon radios at the local dealerships.
Old 3/16/07, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
from what i know you can not because even if you try ordering a ford on the ford website, you can not have the S1000 and the NAV
You cannot order it that way from the factory but it can easily be added to a S1000 system as an upgrade unit. Contact your Visteon dealer or Bob in Chicago posted above and they can get you set up. This is no big mystery, its been done.
Old 3/16/07, 08:34 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jcthorne
Thats why I bought mine from the dealer in Chicago. Kevin ignored me and my questions for weeks. Guess he is just too busy for internet sales. The Chicago dealer was very knowledgeable, helpful and several hundred dollars cheaper than Kevin. I would never have gone looking for another dealer if Kevin had been at all responsive.
KC has always been responsive to my emails, both for hotsheets and for specific questions. He always emails me back same day, either with the answer or just acknowledging receipt.

Also, you can always call him.
Old 3/16/07, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
KC has always been responsive to my emails, both for hotsheets and for specific questions. He always emails me back same day, either with the answer or just acknowledging receipt.

Also, you can always call him.
Yea I ordered stuff from KC before without issues.
Old 3/16/07, 10:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

It can be done as an upgrade if you go to an OEM supplier that can correctly program the unit for your car.

Robert Lederer
635 Wheat Ln.
Wood Dale, IL 60191
bob@chgoparts.com

He supplied an upgrade unit for my Shelby at a very fair price. Brand new, he is an OEM Visteon dealer.
I sent him an email, will see what he has to say
Old 3/16/07, 11:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Robert Lederer
635 Wheat Ln.
Wood Dale, IL 60191
bob@chgoparts.com

Well got a reply from him, essentially he told me I can't do it.
Ford does not offer the Nav radio on vehicles with Shaker 1000. We have attempted to do a retrofit install but were not happy with the way that the sub-woofers performed once the nav radio was installed. My suggestion is that you consider using the Eclipse AVN aftermarket navigation radio. We are a Distributor of these and have had very good success with these in the Mustang even with the Shaker 1000. If you need assistance with the Eclipse, just let me know. Also, we are hoping that in the near future Ford will provide some programming guidelines that will allow us to interface the OEM nav radio with your Shaker 1000
So I guess no NAV for me since I don't want to go aftermarket
Old 3/16/07, 12:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Give Kevin a call 1-800-570-5554. He mentoned being able to program the nav for the 1000when I ordered mine.
Old 3/17/07, 07:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Guess they are having issues with the S1000 and NAV. Mine was an S500 but Bob had mentioned at the time they could also do the 1000. That was about a month ago now. Obviously issues have come up and he does not want to sell any more for that application until it is worked out.

Someone has ordered one from Kevin for an S1000 on this board, so look forward to see how that goes.

The nav Bob sold me for my GT500 is working well except for a small software error that Ford has acknowledged and it working with suppliers (Pioneer) to resolve. Seems it effects some of the OEM nav units in GT500s as well.
Old 3/17/07, 10:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

The nav Bob sold me for my GT500 is working well except for a small software error that Ford has acknowledged and it working with suppliers (Pioneer) to resolve. Seems it effects some of the OEM nav units in GT500s as well.
Yes, I sent Bob an email asking about upgrading my Shaker 500, so thanks for that contact information!

In his email reply, Bob mentioned the current issue is that sometimes you will turn the nav unit on, and its display will show an error message that something is wrong, and the car should be brought in for service. He said you simply press the OK button, the message goes away, and the unit works without a problem. However, he did note that once Ford/Pioneer resolve the issue, it will likely mean that the car's Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will need to be reprogrammed. That could cost up to $150. Bob thinks if the nav unit was not originally installed in the car, then the programming would not be covered under warranty, even if the car's warranty is still active.

I wonder if when the issue gets resolved, that the programming for the nav unit will be different, so there is no issue?
Old 3/17/07, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well I did hear back from KC finally, and he does say he can do it for the 1000, although the price is more than I want to spend, so looks like either way I'm not going to get one, LOL.
Looks like I'll get a new driveshaft instead, hehe
Old 3/18/07, 11:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wjones14
Yes, I sent Bob an email asking about upgrading my Shaker 500, so thanks for that contact information!

In his email reply, Bob mentioned the current issue is that sometimes you will turn the nav unit on, and its display will show an error message that something is wrong, and the car should be brought in for service. He said you simply press the OK button, the message goes away, and the unit works without a problem. However, he did note that once Ford/Pioneer resolve the issue, it will likely mean that the car's Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will need to be reprogrammed. That could cost up to $150. Bob thinks if the nav unit was not originally installed in the car, then the programming would not be covered under warranty, even if the car's warranty is still active.

I wonder if when the issue gets resolved, that the programming for the nav unit will be different, so there is no issue?

That is the jest of the situation. The unit performs flawlessly except for the error code. You have to acknowledge some legaleze page each time you use the nav anyway and the error pops up right after that so its just 2 quick presses of the ok pad. Then it works fine. If the error message is fixed, it will still require one press. Does not pop up at all if you are using the audio functions. The issue revolves around formatting of the data on the bus. The unit reads some data fine like day/night and instrument lighting level, but misses the vehicle speed datapoint.

Do not know if the PCM will need reprogrammed when this is sorted out or just the nav unit. Either way it requires a trip to the dealer to get the correct software uploaded to the car. Its the price of being one of the first and working out the bugs. I am very happy and would not go back to the S500. Bob was very helpful and a far site better pricing that I got from some others.
Old 3/20/07, 12:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

It will throw the nav error if you are in a area that doesn't have any detail informaton on the DVD. If you are in an area that is on the DVD you shouldn't get an error. At least that is how mine does. It is nothing wrong with the system, it just can't tell you about where you are.
Old 3/21/07, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Nope, mine is within the city limits of Houston, TX. The error is related to the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) data on the medium speed data bus. The error code is easy enough to obtain but Ford/Visteon claim they do not have a fix yet but are working on it.

Seems the GT500 PCM is somewhat different than the PCM in normal Mustangs and there is just enough difference in the data streams that the Pioneer sourced Nav unit is not reading the data correctly. From what I have learned in numerous conversations on the subject, it happens in OEM installed Nav systems in Build 2 GT500s as well.