05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Need help... problem with Gauges...

Search this Thread

Old 10/26/09, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help... problem with Gauges...

I was driving home from work the other day and noticed my gas gauge stopped at the 3/4 full mark and then spontaneously jumped to the full mark.

When I got home I turned the car off, watched the gauge arrow drop and it stopped at the 1/4 full mark (when normally it falls below the empty line).

I drove to the gas station and filled up... to find the arrow went beyond the full mark and almost past the pic of the gas pump.

So, I took the gauge console apart when I got home and physically moved the fuel gauge arrow just below the empty mark while the car was off. Turned the car on and it went to the correct mark.

Next day, it all happened again...

Does this sound like a gauge problem or an issue with whatever monitors the fuel level. My guess was the gauge because it just looks like it gets stuck at the 3/4s mark. Anybody know how to remedy this without having to buy a new gauge console?
Old 10/26/09, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not the answer you want, but it's your cluster. The gears inside it get jacked up somehow, not an uncommon problem. In my case, fuel gauge went first, just like you described. Then my tach, then my volt gauge, then my speedo started catching while driving. I ended up replacing the cluster.

Good news, I drove without a fuel gauge for over 2 years. Just reset your odometer every time you fill up and your 50 mile to E notification will also still work. Otherwise, head to the dealer and get a GT500 cluster as it's the same price.
Old 10/26/09, 04:31 PM

I found a guy on ebay that sells the stepper motors for the gauges. Don't know if anyone has tried doing a swap on the motors... there only $5 each. How much did your cluster cost?
Old 10/28/09, 05:30 PM

Well, got lucky. Found a local mustang shop that has the 6 gauge cluster and can do the VIN/Odometer flash for $150. So I get a new (to me) Cluster with my VIN info for $150, YEAH!!! Now I just have to find the Message Center Buttons for the dash... anybody have any ideas where I can ****** those for a good price? Local dealerships want $86 for one and they said the parts number that ended with aaa has been changed to some kind of heater switch.
Old 10/28/09, 06:14 PM

Just ordered the Message Center Buttons from Team Ford Parts for $37 + shipping. Can the 6 Gauge Cluster be installed without the buttons??? I won't have the buttons delivered until next week but plan on getting the cluster replaced tomorrow... anybody know???