05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Hardwiring a Radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/06, 03:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you using a suction cup mount or a visor mount? What's the best solution on a GT? I used to use a suction cup mount but the detector kept falling off (too heavy and the cups got old).
Old 10/16/06, 09:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clean the glass where you are going to mount the suction cups.
Then wash the suction cups in soap and water to get any grease from you fingers off.
Lightly dampen the suction cup with water NOT spit.

Let it dry overnight or even better for a few hours in the sun.
The water seems to dry up and leave a better grip.

Then follow my installation instructions in the previous posts.

Mount your detector and away you go!

P.S In case a forgot to mention this in previous posts
High fives to Dustin's this was his I dea I just did a little differt.
Intruder
Old 10/17/06, 05:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I also found the suction cups to fail in cold temperatures (it got as low as -10F just a few years ago).

Mounting it on a bracket under the rear view is too obvious but it is a clean install.

Has anyone tried a visor clip for the X50 or 995?
Old 10/19/06, 06:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of you who are saying mount your detector as high as possible are wrong when it comes to performance, manufactures recommend the center of the windsheild but many tests have been done say that signals are best recieved as low on the windsheild as possible. Read more on it here... (If the link doesn't work try this http://www.radarbusters.com/support/...detector/2.asp)

When I did the wiring on my detector, I plugged in the powercord in the center console. Then ran the wire under the middle where the cup holders/shifter are, ran it up the side piece (to the left of the Radio and directly to the right of the steering wheel) and left it hanging there, because I take my detector down before I leave my car and 'hide' it in the glove box/center console.

I've heard too many stories of detectors getting stolen because they are left right in plain sight. Then when I get back in the car, grab it outta the console, press the cups hard up to the windshield, plug in the cord and off we go.
Old 10/19/06, 06:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Velcroing it on your dash is even more of a dead giveaway. In addition, mounting it low on your dash is going to cause more interference between the radar source and the detector by means of other vehicles. Mounting it a bit higher should give it better range. I did not see anything quantitative in that article that convinces me otherwise (but if you do find something, please let us know!!) No one mounts receiver antennae as low as possible. You get better reception the higher up it is.

I can't play the suction cup swap game because sooner or later, the cups won't stick properly due to the cold weather we have here. It'll have to be hard mounted somehow, and the options appear limited on the S197 due to the black dot pattern (laser interference) and head room (visors).