05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Footwell Lights

Search this Thread

Old 5/16/07, 11:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well when the idea about LED's came up i completely forgot about them and now i am kicking myself for buying the turnsignals instead of the LED's, well on the bright side i only paid like $2 a harness since they are for the honda's LOL
Old 5/17/07, 07:03 PM
Cobra Member

From an earlier post of mine - just in case this detail helps....GREAT mod and well worth the effort!!

All, last night I added footwell courtesy lights to my '07 GT/CS vert. It is an inexpensive mod ($10 - 15$) and adds a nice touch to your interior that Ford really should have included on our Mustangs from the factory:

Materials: Qty 2 12 volt side marker light sockets, 2 12V wedge base bulbs wattage of your choice (I used 7 watt but you could use 4 watt, or 11 watt, etc - think your low voltage landscape bulbs here), 1 roll of 16 - 14 guage automotive wire, 6 plastic wire taps (red ones - 14 - 18 guage), electrical tape, optional split plastic flex tubing, several cold beverages of your choice and a good football game on the workshop tele

Directions:

1) Remove the passenger side "A Pillar" trim piece. It is attached by a compression clamp, and velcro (coupe may have 2 compression clamps and the vert you have to remove the 2 sunvisor screws). Pull the trim piece out then up (disengaging the windshield area tabs as you pull away from the dash)

2) Locate wire harness connector about 1/2 way up the A pillar. Pull the harness out and unwrap about 4 - 5 inches of the harness on the downside of the connector. Locate the BLACK w BLUE stripe wire and the GREEN w YELLOW (yellow) stripe wires.

3) Measure enough of the 16 guage wire to follow the existing harness down the A pillar behind the glove box area, under the center stack and over to the driver's footwell area. You will need two identical length wires and be sure to cut long as you can trim it later.

4) Run the wires down the existing harness (I used small zip ties to attach or you could use electrical tape), once you get behind the dash run the wires down behind the glove box (parallel with the orange antenna wire) and then look through the center stack below the radio (plenty of room for the wire to run through) then out to the driver's footwell area. At this point I went back and installed the plastic split flex tubing to protect the wires (mostly overkill) but you never know.

5) Find your desired location for the footwell courtesy bulbs - I used one of the heater core screws on the passenger side and zip tied the driver's side socket right under an exising wiring harness. Take your time here and get the bulbs positioned so they are pointing downwards and up enough so they are in danger of being kicked, etc.

6) Now back to the A pillar harness wiring procedure. Take your plastic wire taps and connect the first wire to the Black w/Blue wire and then connect the second wire to the Green w/yellow wire ( be sure you tap into the wires at least an inch between the taps so you don't chance the taps being too bunched up to fit under the A pillar trim piece).

7) Test the footwell lighting function and reinstall the A pillar trim piece.

You should now have footwell lighting that works the same as the overhead courtesy lamp circuit. On when you unlock/open the door, phase out the same as the overhead maps and switchable through the dash panel "on" switch - just like the overhead map lamps. Using this method - your individual map light switch functions will not be changed - they will still turn off/on independently of each other. This mod makes getting in and out of the Mustang nicer - especially with the black carpeting!

NOTE: Do not ground the bulbs/sockets - you are running two wires -one already acts as the ground and the courtesy dimming circuit will not work properly if you run just the black/blue OR green/yellow wires and ground the other wire.

Good Luck and enjoy this easy mod
Old 5/18/07, 07:42 PM
V6 Member

How do the LEDs work on that dimmer circuit? Do they fade up and down or just turn on/off?
Can you tap in behind the headlight switch plate to have footwell lights independent on it's own switch? Which wires?
Old 5/23/07, 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kenichi Mifune
How do the LEDs work on that dimmer circuit? Do they fade up and down or just turn on/off?
Can you tap in behind the headlight switch plate to have footwell lights independent on it's own switch? Which wires?
The LED's fade like the overhead lights.
Old 5/29/07, 10:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

yeah i tried this mod with some small LED's i had and it is brighter than the turnsignals, i placed an order for some SuperFlux 4-chip LED's from Oznium.com and they are supposed to be 10x brighter than regular LED's so i will post up how it all turns out and i will add pics of my install
Old 5/29/07, 10:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

they fade, oh and with the superflux or regular LED's you will never have to worry about burning yourself if you leave the door open to long and they will fade when your lights do for the powersaver dimmer