05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Footwell Lights

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/07, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Footwell Lights

I know this has been writen up before but I installed the footwell lights this weekend and wrote up a set of instructions. Total cost was about $14 for the connector and bulbs and it took about 2 hours to complete. I took my time and lots of pictures. ITtmay take a while for all the pictures to come up if you have a slower internet connections:

here's the link; it is case sensitive since it is hosted on a unix system:

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/footwellLights.htm
Old 5/8/07, 07:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice write up thanks for the info.
Old 5/8/07, 09:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

nice dude, do you think you couls get more detailed pics of where you put the lights, i am thinking about doing this but i do not know where to put the passanger side light and where to put the drivers side light
Old 5/9/07, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the info and the pics. But, I have the same question as RedDragon. I couldn't make out what I was looking at in your last photo. If you could post a pic or two of the lights in place, showing some landmarks, it would be very helpful and appreciated.
Old 5/9/07, 03:30 PM
V6 Member

Thank you, this will be my next mod
Old 5/9/07, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok... that's pretty awesome! Looks like I got my Saturday morning planned out now!
Do you have any pics of the cockpit at night with the lights on?
Old 5/9/07, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Great writeup! I'd like to see some pictures as well, seems like a fun little project to do.
Old 5/9/07, 07:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thats pretty slick...I like it.
Old 5/10/07, 08:24 AM
V6 Member

I did this mod to mine a couple of weeks ago. I have one suggestion to add to this excellant write up.

Get two of Ford part # F8CZ-13550-AA. This is the license plate light housing from the Fox body Mustang. The light socket described will mount right into these and make it much easier to mount under the dash while protecting passengers and wires etc. from coming in direct contact with the hot bulb.

When mounting, keep the lights centered and as far back towards the seats as possible to maximize the effect of the lighting.

A great easy mod!
Old 5/10/07, 07:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Darn you guys with your good ideas! Right after work today I hit up the auto store and bought some wire, bulbs, and two types of sockets. I got the side marker sockets like odiaz but also got license plate housing cause I really liked ponyent's idea of using a housing get rid of the hot open element issue.

I'll probably give the install a shot tonight or tomorrow night. I'll post some night time pics after I get it installed.
Attached Thumbnails Footwell Lights-img_1074a.jpg  
Old 5/10/07, 08:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry I did not reply earlier. On the passenger's side, there is a plastic bracket and the antenna wire is attached to that. I taped the light to it. On the drivers side, there is a large wire bundle that runs along the entire foot well. I taped the bulb to the center of this wire bundle. I then taped the wires to that wire bundle so it would look like a factory install.

I like the idea of the license plate housing. I'm going to see if I can find them locally.
Old 5/11/07, 09:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the instructions odiaz. I just finished installing my footwell lights. I even found a rattle in my a-pillar and fixed it! I spent a few more dollars and installed LED lights. They run cool and I zip tied them to the thick wiring harness that runs long the underside of the dash.
Old 5/12/07, 01:49 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recall doing this very MOD in my 1967 Coupe, my IROC back in 1992 and now I will do my GT in a few weekends once all the rain and flooding settles down around here. Excellent write up I might add.
Old 5/12/07, 09:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Did the install today! Before and after pics:

Well it took me all Saturday but I did it. (making the brackets took forever!) The pics sorta explain it all. Used license plate housings I bought at Pep Boys and inserted the side marker lights in them. I also bought some brackets at Home Depot that I had to bend, cut, and drill holes in to be able to line up the light housing.

For the driver side, there is a tab that the wire harness is held up with that has a pre-existing hole. It’s just about in-line with the brake pedal. I used that to bolt the housing there. On the passenger side I used one of the three bolts that hold the bottom of the fan unit.

Great idea guys! It really brightens up the interior a lot!!! Plus it shows off my GT500 pedals!!!

Oh, and also exciting is I just noticed this was my 50th post! After 2.5 years, I'm finally something other than a "newbie". V6 Member baby!!!
Attached Thumbnails Footwell Lights-beforefootwelllighting.jpg   Footwell Lights-afterfootwelllighting.jpg   Footwell Lights-licenselighthousing.jpg   Footwell Lights-driversidelight.jpg   Footwell Lights-passengersidelight.jpg  

Old 5/13/07, 08:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

what is the bracket originally used for so i can go get one
Old 5/13/07, 10:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Stanley 3" Tee Plate

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
what is the bracket originally used for so i can go get one
Yeah.. I walked around Home Depot for a while thinking, “what can I use to mount these things?”.

The bracket I used was originally a Stanley 3” Tee Plate meant for reinforcing flat surface joints, crack, seams, etc. I got it in the isle near door hinges (the cheap ones). The attached pic shows the original bracket and where I put the holes, bends, and cuts. It also shows roughly what angle bend I needed for each one. (yeah.. I know.. the graphic is probably overkill) Note that light/bracket I pictured in my previous post was the passenger light.

Best of luck! The thing that took the longest was installing it, hooking the light up to an external battery to check aim, uninstalling, re-bending the bracket, and repeat and repeat...

Oh, and just in case anyone ends up with the same license plate light housing from Pep Boys, it's a single wire light (odiaz warned of this in his instructions). You need a 2 wire light. So I took the original light socket out of the housing and forced the 2 wire one in. I had to shave the new light socket a little at the bottom to fit it in.
Attached Thumbnails Footwell Lights-3inchteeplate.jpg  
Old 5/15/07, 02:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

spike, thanks for posting pictures, the footwell lights look like they make a big difference. I think I'm going to have to do this myself one of these next few weekends.
Old 5/15/07, 06:54 PM

In addition to the front seat footwells, the rear seat footwells are dark as well. I was thinking about adding one or two courtesy lamps to the back of the center console to throw some light into the back seat and wire them in along with the fronts. Has anyone seen any small lamps that could be mounted back there and look decent? Anything available at AutoZone seem to be much too big, and I certainly don't want any of the ricey looking things you see at PEP Boys.
Old 5/16/07, 07:08 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 99vert
In addition to the front seat footwells, the rear seat footwells are dark as well. I was thinking about adding one or two courtesy lamps to the back of the center console to throw some light into the back seat and wire them in along with the fronts. Has anyone seen any small lamps that could be mounted back there and look decent? Anything available at AutoZone seem to be much too big, and I certainly don't want any of the ricey looking things you see at PEP Boys.
I was wondering the same thing. perhaps an led bulb mounted under the seats and facing backward. Or maybe something up at the headliner level facing down from the sides.
Old 5/16/07, 08:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by gmichaelj1
I was wondering the same thing. perhaps an led bulb mounted under the seats and facing backward. Or maybe something up at the headliner level facing down from the sides.
That is what I am going to do -- Mount an LED light under the front seats to light up the rear footwells. I tried it out and they looked good. I installed the front lights, but have not had time to do the rear. I bought LED step lights at AutoZone. They come 4 to a package in either blue, red, or green. I bought the blue. They are not quite as bright as the side marker lights used above, but they look good. The mounting brackets make them easy to just zip tie into the car.

Quick Reply: Footwell Lights