05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Factory Heated seats

Old 12/29/12, 06:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Factory Heated seats

My 07 GT has factory heated seats. They have a very annoying feature that shuts them off after 15 minutes. If my butt is cold, I would like the seats on and I'll shut them off when I want to. Other cars I have (GM and Chrysler have heated seats that stay on after being turned on). They don't get hot enough to do any damage if they get turned on by accident anyway.

Does anyone know how to defeat or bypass this "feature"? (We also have an MKX and it does this too - a Ford exclusive??)
Old 12/29/12, 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 08 gt also has heat warmers and they behave the same. I agree its very annoying. I would love to change that. Though my moms mercury mariner has seat warmers and they don't have automatically shut off. So can't be exactly a ford feature but not sure.
Old 12/30/12, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

I had aftermarkets in the 05 and they stayed on for about 30 minutes before turning off, but had a low/hi switch so they got warm fast and stayed warm. I have the factory ones in my 07 and it is annoying that when they start to get warm they shut off. Be nice to adjust the timing on them.
Old 12/31/12, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On a related note, has anyone noticed how terrible the seat warmers are? They barely get warm. My girlfriend has an 08 Focus and her seats actually get warm. Maybe it's just mine that suck though.
Old 12/31/12, 05:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree with above.
Old 12/31/12, 06:19 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
My 2011 GT Premium heated front seats work very well, heat up fast, and get really hot. They are in two locations in each front seat: the bottom-seat-cushion, and the lower-seat-back. There's only one setting (not high/low), and I'm okay with that. I don't think they turn off after 15 minutes. But they do re-set to 'off' when you shut off the engine. Perhaps they improved these with the 2010-2011 mid-cycle-refresh...?
Old 12/31/12, 06:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
My 2011 GT Premium heated front seats work very well, heat up fast, and get really hot. They are in two locations in each front seat: the bottom-seat-cushion, and the lower-seat-back. There's only one setting (not high/low), and I'm okay with that. I don't think they turn off after 15 minutes. But they do re-set to 'off' when you shut off the engine. Perhaps they improved these with the 2010-2011 mid-cycle-refresh...?
Same, I just got my 13' and have been using the heated seats every day; haven't noticed them turn off once besides me manually doing it or engine shut down.
Old 1/1/13, 08:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by A Dustman
On a related note, has anyone noticed how terrible the seat warmers are? They barely get warm. My girlfriend has an 08 Focus and her seats actually get warm. Maybe it's just mine that suck though.
Agreed. They are more weak than most seat warmers.
Old 1/1/13, 10:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The other night i realized how ridiculous seat warmers are. I got into my car to leave work in 29* weather. No matter what my butt is going to feel cold when i first sit in them. By the time a set of seat warmers heat the seat my butt has already warmed them.
Old 1/1/13, 12:11 PM

Everyone is right about the lousy heating with these seat heaters and I guess no one has a solution to the seats turning themselves off automatically.
Another better idea from Ford!
I guess the only option is to install aftermarket heaters with the associated controls.
Old 1/1/13, 10:45 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Briank
Everyone is right about the lousy heating with these seat heaters and I guess no one has a solution to the seats turning themselves off automatically.
Another better idea from Ford!
I guess the only option is to install aftermarket heaters with the associated controls.
---
Or trade in for a 2011+. As noted by myself and Steven, our newer Stangs do not suffer these same seat-heater-issues.
Old 1/2/13, 10:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
Or trade in for a 2011+. As noted by myself and Steven, our newer Stangs do not suffer these same seat-heater-issues.
I'd say that's a little much just for seat warmers lol
Old 3/26/13, 10:25 PM

Yes - there are a few things that have been 'fixed' in newer models. Like automatic headlights and radio controls on the steering wheel. But I like my 07 (and I've installed auto headlights too).
I did recently install aftermarket seat heaters with a 2 position switch. They work great so far and they don't 'reset' when the car is shut off. I left the factory ones active too so twice the heat, then the factory ones auto off - all good now.
And changing cars is a bit too expensive - I'd rather mod the one I have. Too much fun!
Old 3/26/13, 11:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Agree wit above and my solution has been remote starter. Why not have the whole car warm or cool at will. I have had AT's, but you can get them in the manuals too now. No scraping ice off windows ever and a cool car in the summer too, works for all extremes. I just got one for this latest Stang that works off IPhone. Love it.
Old 3/27/13, 06:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ARBO
Agree wit above and my solution has been remote starter. Why not have the whole car warm or cool at will. I have had AT's, but you can get them in the manuals too now. No scraping ice off windows ever and a cool car in the summer too, works for all extremes. I just got one for this latest Stang that works off IPhone. Love it.
Remote starter for a manual? Is that safe? Do you have to perform a sequence of some sort.
Old 3/27/13, 07:31 AM

Being in Canada, we have some sort of transponder chip in the key. I believe that if you install a remote start, they require that a key with a chip be put in the dash somewhere to trick the vehicle into seeing that a key chipped key is there to allow it to start. Now a regular key can be used to start the vehicle because there is a chip close by. This kind of bypasses the factory security system. I agree that remote starts are pretty nice however. Probably have to get a factory remote start not to bypass this security 'feature'.
Old 3/27/13, 07:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tu3218

Remote starter for a manual? Is that safe? Do you have to perform a sequence of some sort.
I'm not sure the details, but the stereo store I us says its now available. They told my about that option a year or two ago. They are a high end shop and would only do it if was safe and legal.
Old 3/27/13, 08:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ARBO

I'm not sure the details, but the stereo store I us says its now available. They told my about that option a year or two ago. They are a high end shop and would only do it if was safe and legal.
We have chipped keys in US too. They need two keys to program but the old days of putting one behind the dash are over.
Old 3/27/13, 04:09 PM

Oh - good to know that they don't hide the chipped keys in the dash anymore when installing a car starter. I didn't like that requirement. You're right - it was a few years ago that I was told that. I wonder if that is for all cars or perhaps just the newer ones. Since I only drive mine in the summer - remote start is not really a necessity - but being in Canada - with some rather cool summer days and nights sometimes and me wanting to take the car out - the heated seats just make it that much more pleasant. (we do get some pretty hot days too). The car heater is fine but having a warm butt nice too.